X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bagging Propagation

Bagging propagation is not new to me .
    I have created this method for my plumeria propagation since 2007 . It will work for everything. For figs, it will be easier. Cheapest . Cleanest. Simplest. Less time consuming . No fail

Last edited by maimai2; 12-16-2015, 05:11 PM.

Comment

It looks like the method works well for you but could you provide more details?
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Zaffiro, Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Looks simple and easy ! Please provide more details for sharing with many thanks.

Comment

You've caught my attention... I'm really interested in learning more about it.

Comment

Looks like bags of moist soil tied and covered with news paper to keep the light out and then I assume placed in a humid environment? Similar process to the cup methods as well. Those all look like plumeria (im trying to root 5 plumeria cuttings right now as well) Looks like a great operation. What are you using for a soil mixture?
            2017 Wishlist:CDDG, CDDN, CDDB, CDDR, Figo Preto, i-258, Pastilliere Dauphine, Figoin, Cavaliere, Any Bordissot's Thank you!

Comment

Thank you for the requests. I am working on the pictures and hopefully will post some of them tonite , so please give me some time .

Comment

I use this type of soil :

Need to have :
                Clear Plastic bag

Rubber band

Fresh Cuttings

Rooting hormones (optional), any brand:

Instructions : (to be continued)
                . My back is aching so much that I need to lay down . Today I was so busy taking all the cuttings from a ten year old fig tree. Tomorrow will dig the whole tree up !!!!)

Comment

Thank you for that information and good luck with digging up that tree tomorrow!!
                  2017 Wishlist:CDDG, CDDN, CDDB, CDDR, Figo Preto, i-258, Pastilliere Dauphine, Figoin, Cavaliere, Any Bordissot's Thank you!

Comment

Digging the whole 10 year old tree up, your back will really be sore. I hope you have some help.
                    PPP
                    Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Get ready to roll !

Instructions:
                      1) Put the cuttings into a cup of water at least 6 hours ahead so they can drink to their heart's content in order to be able to endure the next several days without drinking

2) Cut off the plastic bag at the 2 bottom corners

Cut off the zip thing on the top , otherwise you could not tie the bag top

3) Fill the soil without pressing down it

4) Put a cutting down into the bag of soil

Note :
                      - a) fig can root easily without any rooting hormone , but it does need some long waiting time
                      - b) for the people who want to race with time ----> make it root faster by dipping the cutting into a rooting hormone of your choice . Anything works . However please dust away the excessive hormone powder. Too much, it will cook the cutting !
                      - c) for people who is allergic hehehe to chemical, you can leave the cutting in water (bottom down) , but change water every 3 days , until you see some bumps like these
                      Callus (stage1)

Callus (stage2)

Very first roots (stage 3)

At any stage above, you can put the cutting in the pot of soil and the plant will grow by itself . However, in winter rooting, I prefer to put the cutting in bag . Reason ? so I can go to Greece .... to look for Ponte Tresa heheheh without worrying about my cuttings at home

(To be continued . I need to go doing my other things. Will be back for more ...)
                      ​Ciao for now
                      Last edited by maimai2; 12-19-2015, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• don_sanders
                        don_sanders commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So no added water to the bag of potting mix or am I just asking questions that will be answered by the time the tutorial is over?

• maimai2
                        maimai2 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        1) Put the cuttings into a cup of water at least 6 hours ahead so they can drink to their heart's content in order to be able to endure the next several days without drinking

Absolutely no water added to potting mix . I hate wet feet, so are fig cuttings hehehe. That is why just soak the cuttings before the propagation

Comment

Thanks for sharing your propagation method and procedures, looking forward to the continuation.
                        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Bag Propagation :

4)
                          When the cutting is set in the middle of the filled soil, gently press the soil around it down (not too packed) then fill more soil , leaving space to tie a rubber band around the bag top . Along with the cutting growth, you should loosen the rubber band one round at a time

For easy rubber banding, you should hold the closing end and turn the bag up side down and make rounds . That way you dont hurt the cutting , and make it tight . Pull the rest of the rubber band over the whole bag to keep it in place

The rubber band will close the opening so no mold will be formed during the process.

Why a rubber band, and not a plastic tie ?
                          Along with time, the cutting will grow and the main trunk will be bigger and bigger. The rubber band will expand accordingly to the size of the new cutting growth, when the plastic tie would kill the growth

Put a name tag

5) To give the bag some heat, I recycle an used packaging envelope to wrap around a number of bags together

6) Without adding any water in the soil in the beginning, the heat created by that envelope will make the soil perspire . Therefore, the soil will be moist all time

If you add water, the cutting will be rotted

(more to come .....I am not finished yet. hehehe)
                          Last edited by maimai2; 12-21-2015, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• maimai2
                            maimai2 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            rotten, not rottted . Sorry for my English !

Wow mai, that's such a different take on bag method and I love it. This way you don't need to put them in humidity dome, by rubber banding them closed. Have you tried using coir for this method?
                          May the Figs be with you!
                          ​​​​​

Comment

• grasshopper
                            grasshopper commented
                            Editing a comment
                            MG moisture control has coir in it.

Coir will work fine too . But coir usually sold by the block . You have to soak the block in water in order to loosen it . So it will be very wet. You should wait for few more days to wait for the coir to dry out . Time + labor consuming ! Better to buy a bag of Moisture Control Potting Mix .

Sand works too, but sand is too heavy for the bag

Make things easiest and simplest way so you can have time to enjoy other things
                          Last edited by maimai2; 12-20-2015, 01:49 PM.

Comment

What temperature do you keep your grow room? Monitor humidity level in room?
                            Phoenix, AZ
                            Zone 9b
                            Hot, mostly

Comment

• LouNeo
                              LouNeo commented
                              Editing a comment
                              These were the 2 questions I had as well.

• maimai2
                              maimai2 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              bagging method does not need a grow room. You can put the bags anywhere , but at the windows of the house is best because plants need light to grow tall AND healthy. Without light, they will be leggy .
                              At the window, your bag cuttings will receive natural day time light .
                              Room temperature .
                              You dont need to spend money for a heat mat or whatever .
                              Keep things simple . .
                              Last edited by maimai2; 12-21-2015, 01:30 PM.

• LouNeo
                              LouNeo commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The most recent update shows the cuttings in a bigger zip lock bag which is essentially your "grow room and humidity dome" so thats how she is regulating humidity and temp is the plastic ziplock in a window. Makes sense, cant wait to see more updates on when you take them out and how you ween them off humidity.

I like your well organized method more than just throwing cuttings in a black garbage bag and closing it.
                            I've been using the same soil with some great results. I wasn't sure if light would slow root development. Now I know that a clear bag also works.Thank You for posting.
                            Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

• maimai2
                              maimai2 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Throwing cuttings in a black garbage bag ---> that works too, but for people who have thousand of cuttings from their mature trees . It is called mass production hehehe. If some die, no big deal !
                              Individual bagging method is for (hobbyist) fig lovers who just happen to have a few cuttings, and they treasure what they just get .
                              Light surely slow root development. Purpose of clear bag is for us to observe, once in a while, the roots development . The bag needs to be covered with newspaper so light wont go through

Your method looks very effective. Thank you for sharing with us. :-)

Comment

7) Light can slow down the rooting process, so we have to block light with newspaper or anything that light cannot go through . Both ends (top and bottom) should be open

Wrap the light shield cover around a group (or individual ) of bags, then tape the whole thing to keep them in place (a)

8) Put (a) in a carton box , then into a zip plastic bag ---> b . Place b at the kitchen window , room temperature

Using a toothpick to pierce 4 tiny holes for air escape when the cuttings are sweating in the plastic zip bag . This evolution creates humidity to keep the cuttings fresh at all time .and forms tiny water drops at the zip bag sides.
                              Excesssive water will run down the bottom of the zip plastic bag and will be soaked by the carton box . So no standing water . Humidity stays constant to help the cutting get into budding

9) Once in a while, we can open the outside cover to observe the roots development . Here some roots are at the bottom of the bag

Here some of them are on the side of the bag

(more to come .... Sorry. Be patient with me . I am not finished yet. ...)
                              Last edited by maimai2; 12-21-2015, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I like the bags you're using. Where can I find them ?
                                Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

I bought the bags at a Bead shop . They have many sizes. The size I am using to root fig cuttings is 3 X 6 (2 Mil) .. You can use bigger size for big cuttings. The sandwich bag is okay too .

Comment

• LouNeo
                                  LouNeo commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I just bought the same bags on amazon 1000 for under 20$ I think 100 was $6.

• maimai2
                                  maimai2 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  You are fast, LouNeo ! hehehe

10) Buds are leafing . Some are fast, some are slow depending on the variety .
                                Every 2 days you should open the zip bag a few minutes so the cuttings get some fresh air . They need to enjoy the real world too, otherwise they would feel bored and start to drop leaves . Oh no ! should not let them do it , because every leaf coming out is a precious one . Why that dropping leaves ? What is happening ? ----> humidity is more than needed .

11) Let's take some out to look how nice they are , but please do not let them out too long because the leaves would wilt. Don't try to help by spraying some water . At this time of period, they do not need your help . Helas ! they want to go back to their niche .

11)

When the cuttings start to have more leaves, you can group 4 of the previous bags into a larger zip plastic bag (3 G size) . I recycle the dry clean laundry bag . Turn it up side down to tape the small opening (used to be for hanger). Observe that I threw out the carton boxes and replace them with plastic ones, so they will be more stable. No more excessive water happen , but they have more air space for growing higher . .
                                Put a stick of bamboo in the center of the whole thing and pull the laundry plastic bag up to the top of the bamboo stick and tie it with a rubber band .
                                Do not forget to poke some holes (about 10 holes with a tootpick) around the plastic bag

This way you can go on vacations for 2 weeks up to a month without worrying about watering the young plants, because they will grow happily by themselves being fed by the nutrients in the soil ...
                                Last edited by maimai2; 12-21-2015, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Great information! I cant wait for your next post that answers my biggest questions... How / when do you take them out of the humidity and then how often do you water them after you do. This is the point im stuck at right now and having so much trouble with figuring out. Mine start to droop and drop leaves every time I start weening them off. Also my biggest mistake otherwise was my roots getting way too much light on the sides of my clear cups. Live and learn, the next batch will be better

Comment

• maimai2
                                    maimai2 commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Pictures taken+ photobucket load up and edit + upload one by one to ourfigs.com, + narration + edit and edit to make them easy to understand -----> cost me 2 hours for each update !!!!!!
                                    Last edited by maimai2; 12-21-2015, 07:34 PM.

• LouNeo
                                    LouNeo commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    I am both patient and appreciative Im just very interested in hearing more is all. Thank you MaiMai2 I am very thankful.

Originally posted by LouNeo View Post
                                  .... How / when do you take them out of the humidity and then how often do you water them after you do. This is the point im stuck at right now and having so much trouble with figuring out. Mine start to droop and drop leaves every time I start weening them off....
                                  When roots fully formed and plants grow high with 6 leaves . Please wait for my next update . I will talk about when to water young plants ...

[/QUOTE]
                                  Originally posted by LouNeo View Post
                                  ......Also my biggest mistake otherwise was my roots getting way too much light on the sides of my clear cups......
                                  Should always cover your clear cups with something that can block the light . I am cheap ---> I use newspapers or recycle bags, whatever I have on hand.

Comment

Working...
                                  X