X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One way to extend the fig season

Let figs hang and/or ripen in cool garage or basement, whether the tree is defoliated or not.

I could have picked this fig I think anytime in the past two weeks or any time in the next two weeks as it has very slowly darkened, the very small tree having dropped its leaves a month or two ago. Picked it an hour ago. It was sweet mostly with something of a tart edge, very refreshing with snow falling outside.

Last ate fresh figs a month ago, November 19th, a couple flavorful Ginoso figs, and almost none in the weeks prior to that. So, a token stretching of the season, but I'll take it.

This fig is called Cucumber, and it may be synonymous with: Niagara Black, Longue d'Aout, Nordland, Melanzana Merdascola, Jerusalem, Slocan.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Looks really sweet. Looks like your patience paid off. Nice job!

Comment

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      My son gave a thumbs up to his half too.

That's interesting, Tony.

I think next year i'll leave some figs on my defoliated trees when I move them to storage.

I must have taken off almost 100 figs from my trees before I put them to bed for the winter.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to pluck them. This year I left them. Most shriveled, dried up. Some kept on going.

What a great idea!
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

Semi-edible fig picked today in garage. As it looked, mild jelly, not unsweet in part. Moist but bland and not edible the rest. The last from the "Cucumber" tree.

Temperatures currently plunging overnight to well below freezing to perhaps 10 degrees, which would be about 12 degrees colder than previously this year. Another similar drop tomorrow night than back up. Rest of the winter predicted to be mainly mild, so an outside chance that this could be about as cold as it gets this year, possibly far above the -9 of last year. Would be interesting to see if some exposed wood can make it through winter for a change, and which cultivars, in which locations. Mulched under low limbs should come through again no problem, assuming no rodent attack.

Brebas currently swelling on small tree in kitchen window again this year. Dropped last year. Maybe I'll put an LED bulb on them to see if a few will ripen in late March, early April.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
      Tony WV 6b
      https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Working...
      X