X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takoma Violet

Loading up an extra for Saturday: Takoma Violet. As always, please share any photos you have and also load them to the new Fig Variety sub-forum. Thanks!

Takoma Violet is, arguably, the best Mt. Etna type in terms of productivity and flavor.

It was found in Takoma Park, MD by Gene Hosey's friend Kathleen (the same Kathleen as Kathleen's Black). She got it from an elderly German lady who lived nearby in the summer of 2001. Gene Hosey's description: ʺIt is a medium to small fig with a rich taste, and one of the most winter hardy I have. It ripens its fruit over a long period starting in early August to the end of September.ʺ

It is unusual among Mt Etna types in that it also sets a good breba crop. According herman2 the brebas have resisted temperatures of 10F for several days. Main crop figs develop a violet color when properly ripened under dry conditions, taking about 80 days to ripen. Fruits are very rich and tasty, even under rainy conditions. Notable in that it will produce good fruit year after year, even in poor weather conditions. Well adapted to the mid-Atlantic, Northeast, and reportedly the South. Even after ground kill it is able to fruit the same year, on time, as it did following the Polar Vortex of winter 2013/2014.

It is sometimes misspelled as "Tacoma", which is incorrect. I've made this mistake myself.

OK, time for me to get to work. Have a good day everyone, only 20 day until Spring!
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

This one is a keeper. I got mine from Marius. I once saw a photo of a plate of TacV fruits and fell in love with the (sort of) violet color. The cuttings were easy to root, and the plant seems productive. Small fruits with very good taste. Mine are still young, but they show much promise.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

This is an excellent fig in my area. I put it in ground last spring. Will see how it reacts to 8-15 degree temps. It has a good amount of die back but hope it will survive.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• abeadbapda
        abeadbapda commented
        Editing a comment
        newnandawg, is your in ground Takoma Violet still alive?

Very informative post. Please keep these posts coming. Great info. Than you.
      Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
      Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

Who has trialed the various Mt Etna strains and found TV "arguably the best"? GH and H2?
        Anyone else? I assume the breba crop would come at the expense of the main crop in terms of ripening/quantity?
        Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
        Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

• Kelby
          Kelby commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't keep track of names, but I found several posters on f4f where it was mentioned as being better than Sal's, HC, and MBvs. herman2 for sure, I think Marius as well.

This is a photo found by image googling 'Tacoma violet fig'. (Takoma) The photo I'm pretty sure is Marius'. The figs to the top are TV.

SoCal, zone 10.
        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Taste wise for the last 4 seasons rank low here by me and wife. Could be it ripens after the higher quality ones that makes us think less
          of it. I have no doubts this is a gem in the right zone. Thinking of getting rid of it so that I can focus on others.

Comment

Pally, you think it needs more heat?
            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Just wanted to say...thanks for doing all these posts Kelby. You have my word that each one you post will be read by me.
              Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Kelby, Here is a couple pictures.
                Art
                Western Pa -6a

Comment

• Kelby
                  Kelby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Art, great pics as always!

My Takoma Violet (in ground) did not have very extensive protection and neither did my Sal'sEL which is about 10 ft away. The MvsB had even less. I ran out of time and materials to do a really good job on all 10 in-ground figs so I put the most priority into the non-Mt. Etna figs. So this will be a real test of cold hardy they are.
                Steve
                D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

The summers here are cool compared to eastern Canada/USA. Will know from buddies in Eastern Canada as they have
                  this variety there. Perhaps I have high expectations from it going by Vasile's feedbacks. Also, after enjoying some high
                  quality variants, my input may be bias. I can try it out in my greenhouse where temp can exceed 80*F on a longer term basis.
                  As is I am thinking of giving it away as my collection and friends here allows me to have options in trialing varieties that have
                  worked out great in terms of taste.

Comment

Overall one of my best figs. Healthy vigorous productive and great tasting. Hoping it lives up to it's hardy reputation.
                    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

I wanted to bring this back up for the sake of finding out if Takoma Violet is worth getting if you already have a few "Mount Etna" type figs. I have seen people group them together as any will work, but I have also seen people have a high opinion on Takoma Violet. I have Hardy Chicago, Black Bethlehem, Sals, MBvs, and Bari. Plus a few other that might also be Mt. Etna types. So.. is it worth getting or will it just be a duplicate? Thank you!
                      NE Ohio, Zone 6a. Wishlist: That LSU used Smith instead of Celeste in their breeding program.

Comment

MrC thanks for bringing this up again! Would have never seen this otherwise. Sounds like a great one for northerners to explore more thoroughly.
                        Zone 6a/b - west of Boston
                        Wish List: A fig-maple hybrid

Comment

I have about 20 or so plants that can loosely be called Mt Etna - like, all 1-5 years old. I have not seen brebas on my TV yet, it is 5 y old in a pot with holes on the lower sides and gets buried in the ground several inches each spring. I have not trialed it for hardiness. I have not noted a significant difference in size or flavor from the HC or other similar types.

But then, I really like the Mt Etna types.
                          Ed
                          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• MrC
                            MrC commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks Ed! It seems like I will give it a try if I come into one, but I don't need to urgently go out of my way to acquire one.

Old threads need love too.... I love all of the mt etnas. They are productive, have a range of flavors that keeps me interested, plus they are tough enough to fruit after dieback. I should get a good sample of Takoma Violet this year.
                          Bill
                          New Madrid, Mo. Z7

——

We all bleed fig-honey!

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post
                            I wanted to bring this back up for the sake of finding out if Takoma Violet is worth getting if you already have a few "Mount Etna" type figs. I have seen people group them together as any will work, but I have also seen people have a high opinion on Takoma Violet. I have Hardy Chicago, Black Bethlehem, Sals, MBvs, and Bari. Plus a few other that might also be Mt. Etna types. So.. is it worth getting or will it just be a duplicate? Thank you!
                            Basically I agree with Ed. I have roughly a dozen ME names, including all those you named except Bari. My palette is not the most sophisticated, so the differences I taste among varieties are very minor and may relate to "nurture" rather than "nature." I discern only one possible consistent difference, creating two clusters of varieties with two slightly different fruits -- one group Malta Black and similar, the other MBvs and similar. TV falls solidly in the latter group, indistinguishable for me from HC, MBvs. If my notes are right, Bari is more like Malta Black, Danny's Delight.

Joe, Z6B, RI. Still taking COVID-19 seriously. Wish list: Thanks to forum friends for promising Dauphine / Grantham's Royal. Tony says I should try Planera!

Comment

• Rewton
                              Rewton commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I would agree with that. The last couple years for me the Malta Black types have outperformed the MBvs/Sal'sEL types but perhaps that has to do with the extent of protection I gave them.

Just another Mt Etna regarding taste, size, and productivity for me too assuming my tree is labeled properly. Haven't tested cold hardiness. Don't recall any brebas but I occasionally get one to ripen here or there on Mt Etnas. Sal's, Salem Dark, and Malta Black (if it is a Mt Etna) have very slight flavor differences than the rest of the pack for me on my trees. Black Greek might be slightly larger. All ripen within about a week of each other and who wins the race seems to vary from year to year.

It is good to have more that one Mt Etna. They are workhorses and great figs.
                            Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: @Your favorite fig and Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Kesariani, Calderona, Campaniere

Join Robinhood for a free stock with my sign up link. https://join.robinhood.com/donalds414

Comment

A few years ago I decided to thin the heard and decided one of my three "core" Mt. Etna's (Sal'sEL/MBvs/Takoma Violet) needed to go as they were pretty much indistinguishable to me. I decided to give the TV to a friend only because it was slightly slower growing than the other two.
                              Steve
                              D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                              WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

I have a small Takoma Violet plant, which ripened a few figs in Denmark last year - albeit in a pot in a greenhouse. I considered the taste outstanding.
                                Definitely wouldn't get rid of this one.
                                Don, Danmark

Comment

Takoma Violet has been stellar for me, I think performance-wise it is the best Mt. Etna out of the 4 or 5 that I have trialed over a few years (malta black, MBVS, HC, dominick ). Extremely productive and tasty. I was surprised to see breba on it this year
                                  Southwest WV, zone 6B

Comment

So far, I like my Takoma Violet better than Hardy Chicago, MBVS and Malta Black. I think St. Rita is marginally better than TV in terms of flavor. And Macool is pretty much on par with TV. But my potted TV has quite a few brebas this year, and is cranking out the main crop as well. It has been my most productive Mt. Etna, and a precocious fruiter too.
                                    Greensboro, NC (zone 7b)

Comment

• bopcrane
                                      bopcrane commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I can't wait to try St. Rita and see how it compares, It has a great reputation

• ncdabbler
                                      ncdabbler commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      It looks to me like every other Mt. Etna and acts like every other Mt. Etna, but I think it tastes the best of the six Mt. Etna's I've tasted. With Takoma Violet and Macool close behind.

• chadspur
                                      chadspur commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      St. Rita is great. One of my favorites. Mine loads up every year.

Geez! Why did I click on this post?!....another one to cross off my "to acquire" list, now. Thanks!

Comment

Mine is 3yrs old, first year it produced quite a few figs which I cut off. Died back to the ground in the winter but came back last summer after I removed the dead. Wrapped it real good this past fall, burlap on the limbs, leaves two ft high with a tomato cage to keep its shape. Double 4mill contractor bags, and boxed out with corex. Oh, and this wasn't out in the pasture it was on the west side of the house , right next to the house for protection. Still died to the ground. Put it in a pot and it is making a slow recovery. In hind-site I should have left it in the ground and taken it out when it was healthy but dormant in the fall.
                                      VA 7a - Wish List : Trees that can be "inground" for 6a or warmer.

Comment

Working...
                                      X