X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Fruit

Curious to see if these Kadota breba will eventually ripen after coming on this early by window. Other photos, nearby tangelos probably ripe, and the view outside. All photos today.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Nice pics and good luck on your indoor breba! Is that a fig in the upper left in the landscape?
    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
    Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Alas, no. Some sort of ornamental tree the people before us planted, 12 feet tall died to the ground last year after temps of -9F, but I didn't cut it down. Came back from the roots in summer. No figs in the outdoor pic.

Good luck! I hope they get enough flavor being indoors.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Will see. I hope they come along slowly and then finish ripening fully outdoors in spring. Hard to see in the pick but the upper fruits seem unusually pale and may be struggling too much to make it.

They look good and the plants look healthy.
    NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Fingers crossed!

Looking good. Good luck with them.
    Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
    Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Might need it. Haven't heard much about Kadota breba.

Are u using any grow lights?
    Rafael
    Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Only the sun. Sometimes I hang a mylar sheet behind it.

I've been growing some young blueberries inside in a very sunny window. I use both added florescent lights (when it's dark outside), and during the day when it 's not too hot, mylar reflective screens I made myself.

As for current fruit, I've just come in from picking a smattering of ripe blueberries. Well, almost ripe. The oranges now are pretty good too.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh to be zone 10!

• Gina
      Gina commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it..

Tony,
    My dormant trees have been waking up early these last two years, and I've been putting them in a sunny south window, too. For me, the biggest problem was not stressing out the trees with too much or too little water, causing them to drop the breba. There's that initial period when you're tempted to water them, but they've only got a few leaves. Then they put on more leaves and need more water, but maybe you're inclined not to do it by that point! It needs constant adaptation over time.
    They look like they're swelling up nicely and hanging on tight! Just keep doing what you're doing!
    Cheers,
    Jim
    Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      That's something to consider, when to water, when not to water. Always an issue and now moreso with fruit formed. I get the sense that I'm not out of the woods yet. Time will tell.
Working...
X