X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruning/Taking cuttings--Advice, please.

I've never done this before. Let's start there.

My grandmother's place has been sold but the new owners have agreed to let me come take some cuttings/prune the fig tree while I'm in town for the holidays. I don't know what variety the fig is...only that harming her fig trees was a switching offense when I was a kid. This may be the last opportunity I have to get cuttings if this tree, so I plan to get as many as possible and hopefully have plenty root well got myself and the rest of the family.

So the question is: What advice can you give me for taking the cuttings and transporting them home (assuming zip-loc bags). They will be set up with the rest of the cuttings when I get home next weekend.

Thanks...and wish me luck.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

If you cut them small, I would make sure to cut the bottoms flat and the tops at an angle. I just put all of my cuttings in a gallon size bag and kept them in the fridge, no issues. One week isn't long for fresh cuttings, I don't think...
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

If you can get suckers with roots, that would be best. Otherwise, i would prune whole branches if they let you and just leave them whole.

If they only will let you do minor pruning, then try to get them at least 8-10" long.

Once you leave the premises, you can cut them into lengths that are easier for transport.

Good luck.
      Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Oh yeah, if you find suckers with roots you will need something to cut them free with... I used a sharp knife. Turned out to be hubby's drywall knife, oops!
        Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

Make sure you are easy to take baby with root. And if you make cutting agreed above. Flat bottom angle top to determine top when rooting. At least 4/5 node per cutting.
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

If possible, prune branches as long as possible. I'm talking 3+ feet long. Advantages are: quick pruning and they will stay fresh for a few days as is. When you get home, snip about an inch above the on-site cut you made to find the fresh stuff, then prune the sticks to size (6-8" typically). Finally, double-bag (ziplock) and store in fridge. For added freshness, bundle them up with saran wrap first. Have fun!
            Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Thanks, everyone! Headed out now for the 12 hour drive. Good thing I have a very long audiobook to listen to. Plan to stop at Smokey Mountain Knife Works near Knoxville for a break...it's almost halfway.

Just in case I have no connectivity while I'm gone, have a good holiday in whatever tradition you follow!
              Last edited by DBJohnson; 12-22-2015, 05:04 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect made me look like Hodor...

Comment

• fitzski
                fitzski commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Bryant. Hope you have a great holiday too!

Good luck with the tree.

You too! Be careful
              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Merry Christmas Bryant!
                Ed
                SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Good luck with your cuttings. I hope they do really well for you. It's nice that you'll ve able to save a piece of your family history.

Comment

Safe travels, buddy!
                    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

Merry Christmas, and have a safe trip!
                      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Good luck out there!
                        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Here are pics of the two heirloom trees. One (two trees side by side) has long straight branches, the other has short curved/twisted branches.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
                          X