X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe I'm complaining...

I can't believe I'm complaining... but I just can not get my basement cold enough to keep my figs dormant. Don't get me wrong, I'm LOVING this warm winter, but I also want to keep my plants asleep. Kinda hard when it's suppose to be 70 degrees on Christmas Eve. I've got all of my windows open downstairs, and the temp is still sitting at 50. I guess we'll see what happens. There is no way I'm doing the fig shuffle just yet. How is everyone else making out so far? Anyone else having the same problem?

Window AC unit.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

That's an idea, but I've got those tiny, weird basement windows down there. No way I'll be able to fit a unit in the window

Comment

Portable A/C unit, uses a house to vent the hot air out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=port...fiAfMQ_AUICCgC
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

The only obstacle would be whether or not my wife would let me buy one. I'm guessing she'd probably think I was nuts. She's already had enough of me talking/obsessing about figs.

Comment

Temporary buckets filled with Ice will lower the temperature in your basement.

Comment

Awesome avatar Gardencrochet. Your Christmas fig sure catches a person's eye. I'll have to give the bucket trick a whirl. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• Gardencrochet
                Gardencrochet commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, Johnny. I hope the bucket trick works for you. I usually fill up a couple of plastic pools with ice to lower the temperature. I figure since it's in the basement buckets might work for you. Good luck to you. Merry Christmas!

55F in my garage and supposed to be warm all week. I'm hoping it won't be an issue.
              Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

55f in my garage year round (surrounded by 4' thick cobble stone wall on one side and 8' deep in ground on two other sides).

Last year with below 0f the garage was at its coldest at 43f for some time.

light might have something to do with trees awakening. I covered both windows last winter and have done the same this year.

It is dark! Very Dark! Wondering what absence of light does to trees in for the winter.

Does anybody know if our trees can grow in the dark, sprout in the dark?

I'm thinking 55f and darkness is a good hedge against early growth......I just don't know.
                Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

Just be careful no birds come singing near your windows. They will message your trees to awaken their dormancy. You can't trick mother nature that easily. LOL, So much for controlling temperature and light.

Comment

I have problem in garage is warm. Remember plant need light to grow. I put paper bag over top of them and they still sleeping. No budding. My big problem is my wrapped trees and trees under ground. Here is 50's 60' during daytime and then 29's 30's evening. I no home at right times to cover and uncover so I hope they be ok in spring.

You can also warm the area up and put some grow lights over it until it gets cold enough.
                    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I haven't heard of putting paper bags over them. It's worth a shot.

Comment

These 1gal potted fig about 1 ft or so tall....
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I have a couple of 1 gallon plants sprouting, so I am going to put the under the LEDs, and try to keep the growth slow by watering very little. All the bigger pots are staying asleep... so far.
                          Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

Good luck everyone. I hope we make it through this (so far) warm winter ok... Happy Holidays, and I hope you all have a safe new year.

Comment

I didn't even winterize my trees this year, they're all still outside.
                              I'm still waiting for temps to come down. Now a lot of buds on my trees are greening up and starting to swell. Won't be long before they leaf out i guess.
                              Now let us all pray it stays like this so we will have ripe breba's by april lol.
                              Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
                              Zone 8B

Comment

Working...
                              X