X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie intro...

Hi all,

I'm jen... I live in los angeles.. not by the beach, but closer to pasadena where it gets a blast of cold in the winter and some decent heat for 3 seasons... I ate my first fig 5 years ago when I went through a let's try something new each week at the farmers market. I fell in love instantly. I introduced my boyfriend to figs, I tried to introduce them to my parents, i forced figs on my friends! I ended up buying a black mission tree that year and grew it in the common area of my apartment. I would get one or two figs initially and as it grew more figs i would spend all my time watering and loving this tree and not getting to eat even one off this tree... my neighbors beat me to it... oooh i'll pick that when i get home... gone!

I did move into a new place almost a year ago that sits in a huge bowl shaped unlandscaped dirt yard (still renting). Okay, its huge and overwhelming for a born and raised city girl approx. 4K square feet of hilly dirt! I ate every single fig on that tree this year... even the ones that wrinkled and fell on the ground! I now have my pretend farm of fruits and veggies, 2 chickens (one named figgy) and another fig tree panache which i hope to taste next year....

I want to expand my fig collection with the best tasting fig, with a well rounded early, mid, late and full of variety collection... i want it all!... I want to eat and taste every possible fig I can get my hands on!

I can't wait to start my first cutting, I can't wait to share my first cutting with someone.

I want to thank you all in advance for the knowledge you will share with me and I hope to one day share the knowledge with others as well.

Happy Holidays!

Hey Jen, welcome. Glad you made it over.

Comment

Welcome Jen!

One problem - good luck finding "the" best tasting fig. You need to grow and try them all to decide
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Rewton
        Rewton commented
        Editing a comment
        Kind of like the southern Californian concept of finding the perfect wave.

Ciao Jen,

Welcome to you new home
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Welcome to you and Figgy!
          Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and have a happy holiday.

Comment

Welcome Jen!

Hope you have a great holiday.
              Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Welcome, you'll find everything your looking for here and then some.... and some more and yes. ... even more.
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Welcome Jen. An easier question to answer may be, which are bad tasting fig varieties? I have never eaten a fully ripe fig that tasted bad. It's all good.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
                  Last edited by jmaler; 12-24-2015, 12:36 PM.
                  Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Welcome Jen.
                    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado, Black Celeste

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Steer clear of the WillsC! Lol
                      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome
                          Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

Welcome! These threads might be helpful to you. Also ask WillsC what he has left for sale.

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...-flavor-groups

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...r-should-taste

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...lavor-category

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...er-latest-figs

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...r-best-of-2015

Kelby's list https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
                            Bob C.
                            Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Welcome! Glad to have more west coast members here.
                            Sarah
                            Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Welcome Jen!
                              PPP
                              Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Welcome Jen
                                Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
                                Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Welcome Jen!
                                  newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Welcome, Jen...and Merry Christmas!
                                    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Welcome Jen!
                                      Feliz Natal!

Comment

Welcome Jen,

Once in, you can never leave....such is the power of figs

Comment

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Happy New Year

Comment

Welcome Jen !!!
                                            Vincent Canada Québec zone5

Comment

Welcome, another socaler here... your chickens would love those shriveled ones that fall to the ground, don't be so selfish!!!! :P Let me know if you want any unknown cuttings, Im close to ya and can hook ya up.

Comment

• Cheekyjen
                                                Cheekyjen commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                I may be very interested in your offer!
                                            Working...
                                            X