X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would tis work for fig? Is like SIP?

I look for way to self water Figs in 1gal pots and or cups. I see tis photo and think... Wow tis is easy to do and maybe cure from accidental overwatering?
    What would I use as mix and will the water be taken into pot too much completely soaking mix? How far up do water travel?
    Attached Files
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Maybe just some drip emiters and a timer.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

The answer to all of your questions depends on what mix you use and the height of the containers you use it in. You can also affect it by adding a wick. The mix you use will need to have a large percentage of peat and/or coir.

An easy way to see how well a mix will wick is to take a tall clear plastic cup - like I see people using to root cuttings. Drill a hole or two in the bottom. Fill it with your potting mix. Then set it in a pan with a half inch of water. You may need to add water as it wicks up into the cup. Experiment with using completely dry potting mix, and moistened potting mix.
      Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

So wick may no be complete necessary if potting mix is good enough to suck water up correct?

Comment

I didn't use a wick in my 5 gallon bucket SIPs. They seemed to suck up water fine. 40% compost, 40% peat, 20% perlite.
          Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

In some circumstances a wick is more useful for drainage than watering....

Another option is capillary matting. I've seen some commercial options that have a landscaping fabric over the capillary part, so you don't get algae growing.
            Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

Ah! Tis make sense.... Okay I will try on couple fig I almost ready to pot up!

Grazie and Salutè

Comment

Working...
              X