• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit Walls: Urban Farming in the 1600s

good read for us northerners

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2015/...n-farming.html
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
    Buffalo WV Z6

That is a great read crazie!! It gave me a couple new "old" ideas and reinforced others.

I think I may try some small scale experimental sites on this property to gage what I want to build on the next. Come on 5 to 20 acres.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Very good read, thanks for sharing. Now I have something to do..once I have nothing left to do.
      Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
      Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

This is amazing! I often go to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore locations, where they sell pieces from renovated houses. I always thought it would be a good place to pick up windows (they have all sizes for about $5 each) or sliding glass doors to eventually build a greenhouse. Now I know I can try making them into a lean-to! Something to think about for sure!
        Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed the read.
          Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Very interesting read, thank you. In some ways it sort of reminds me of Sepp Holzer's Hugelkultur mounds. Using high mounds with hardy productive trees on the tops and less hardy plants like figs on the bottoms might be really interesting. The addition of pit greenhouses built between the mounds might also be really nice. Added bonus would be that future archeologists will wonder what the mound builders were doing when they look at your garden a thousand years from now.
            Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.
              Bill - Long Island, NY 7a
              Wish List: Glacia Negra and any fig from Bari.

Comment

Working...
              X