X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never give up...

...on a cutting.

I got a bunch of cuttings in late October. Most of them I stored but 2 wanted to grow right away. I used the baggie method, in a clear plastic shoebox on top of the cable box. Temps were a comfy 76-78F for the cuttings. After 6 weeks there was no sign of growth, so I decided to cup them up and put them in a humidity bin. Finally one of the 2 varieties started showing roots. This was at about 10 weeks total. But my only cutting of Fico Preto still showed no signs of growth! I transitioned the growing cuttings out of the humidity bin and I put an upside clear cup over the Preto.

FINALLY... after 15 or 16 LONG WEEKS... the Preto is showing life!
    Phil
    Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Definitely inspiring Seems like growing anything requires patience.. that or you learn to be patient (by force). That last picture makes me wanna do a happy dance for ya.
    Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

I feel your pain drphil69, I have a few that are like that. Just sitting there, waiting for spring like the rest of us, I guess.
      Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Originally posted by nepenthes View Post
        Definitely inspiring Seems like growing anything requires patience.. that or you learn to be patient (by force). That last picture makes me wanna do a happy dance for ya.

Thanks Alma... do you have your namesake fig yet? I understand it is a very tasty variety.
        Phil
        Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Good to hear Phil. You know what they say: "Patience is a Virtue"
          Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
          Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

Originally posted by drphil69 View Post

Thanks Alma... do you have your namesake fig yet? I understand it is a very tasty variety.
            I decided against it. Seems like a variety more suited to warmer zones. As much as I love challenges, I think have enough on my plate for now. Don't enable me! :P
            Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

I'm rooting a couple Alma cuttings cuttings courtesy generous member, it will be a couple years before I know anything. If Alma does well here, it should do well most anywhere.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Phil that is great that the Preto is taking, I hope you grow it successfully, it is a great fig.
                Rafael
                Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

That's great, Phil! Preto was my #1 fig last year out of 10+ varieties I sampled. They ripened through October. I did have the garage to help me out on the colder nights toward the end of the season. Treat it like gold. My avatar is actually a Preto.
                  Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Yeah cuttings can be frustrating I have a couple that are driving me nuts! Everything else rooted perfectly except these 2!!! I can't wait for the warm weather!!!

Comment

Congrats Phil! Is fico preto the same as figo preto? I'm a fig newbie and have 6 in cups rooting for over 2 weeks. If it's the same at least I know I will need to be extremely patient.

Comment

• Coop
                        Coop commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes it’s the same

Phil I'm in the same boat. I have a few stubborn cuttings that are taking their time also. Maybe there was a little coffee left in that DD cup, Lol.

Comment

15 weeks is a long time. I think I would have given up by then. Glad it worked out and it is a lesson for all of us.
                        Bill - Long Island, NY 7a
                        Wish List: Glacia Negra and any fig from Bari.

Comment

You know, I was never really a patient person. Having kids definitely taught me a huge lesson in patience. I think that figs just might drive the message home...
                          Deborah
                          Easton, MD - Zone 7B

Comment

Hi Phil
                            yes there is always hope
                            i am rooting my first Preto this year and am excited about it too. Rooted nicely in less time than yours but none of that matters in the long run
                            good luck with it

Comment

Be the frog....
                              Attached Files
                              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Very nice drphil69 ,
                                Now, if only my Genovese Nero will root! Its been sitting for 3+ months with zero movement. I know it is not rotted as I just checked by scoring the wood and it is fresh and green.
                                Atleast a graft of this variety appears to have taken!

Comment

• richardk
                                  richardk commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Soak it in water for about an hour and then put it back in the soil

• ramv
                                  ramv commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Mine is sitting in a tree pot and there are no shoots yet. It may have rooted and I don't want to disturb it now. I do water it when the medium goes dry. We'll see if it eventually roots or rots. Atleast I have a backup.

Same happened to me. I had a black madiera cutting sitting in a cup in a store bought cutting medium. It did nothing for three months so I repotted it in coir and boom- a week later I could see roots.

I had had another cutting that looked like it was dying so I took it out of the cup it was in and put it in a box with some spaghnum moss and forgot about it. 3 1/2 months later I had a look and there was a ton of roots on it.
                                WL La Radek BT, Improved Celeste, Florea

Comment

Attached Files
                                  Ike

Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

Both Richard and Mike are giving good advice here.... A little soak and a lot of patience... I've had cuttings sit for months before finally taking off. Not to mention that IMO we're now entering the better part of cutting season... We have daylight!

One other thing... After looking at your pictures... I suddenly want a donut!
                                    Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

Something so compelling about starting those cuttings in a donut shop cup!!! Lol Click image for larger version  Name:	20180311_225556.jpg Views:	1 Size:	154.6 KB ID:	279926
                                      Last edited by richardk; 03-13-2018, 06:31 AM.

Comment

• TorontoJoe
                                        TorontoJoe commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Lol! Richard... Only problem with the Ice Cap's is you can't roll up the rim to win!

Nice roots!

You know that you're a Canadian when you grow figs in Tim Horton's.
                                      Nashville, TN Area - Zone 7A
                                      Wish list: RdB, Craven's Craving, Col Littman's Black Cross, UCR 187-25, Sodus Sicilian, and any great local/unknown figs

Comment

Working...
                                      X