X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Cuttings from Heirloom Unknowns

First FIVE PMs I get requesting these cuttings will recieve at least 4 from each tree. Please include your mailing address.

These are extra cuttings I have from the two heirloom trees that have been in my family for awhile. Both are unknowns but have fruited and I've had the fig preserves from both. The fruit from both is brown/bronze if memory serves...they are definitely not green, purple, or black. Both produce sweet fruit so I suspect they may be Celeste or something like that.

UNK Heirloom Nell Johnson can be traced back to a mother tree that came with the family to Alabama from South Carolina in the early 1800s.

UNK Heirloom Leora Simmons is a large tree that was from a tree in the Walden family in eastern Mississippi since at least the early 1900s. The tree these cutting came from has been in my grandmother's garden for 40-50 years.

The cuttings range from tip cuttings to almost an inch thick. I have not yet made up packs but plan to include a variety of each kind and size. Note photos below of trees and bagged cuttings (cuttings will be taken from these bags of extras which are currently in the fridge).
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

That is a fantastic offer Bryant. I've hit my limit this year, maybe next year. 😃
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

And just for clarity...shipping is on me! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Comment

Thanks for the great offer Bryant and great story with the trees!
        Iowa Z5

Comment

Thank you for sharing

Comment

thanks for sharing and paying it forward
            Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Well, that didn't take long! The last two have the same time stamp so I'm sending out six packages later this week. I will be replying to PMs in the next couple minutes.

Comment

Thank you Where are the mother trees located?
                Iowa Z5

Comment

• DBJohnson
                  DBJohnson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Both of these mother trees are in Newton County, Mississippi.

I am not sure where the prior mother for UNK Heirloom Leora Simmons was located.

UNK Heirloom Nell Johnson is a pair of trees on my mother's place (see pictures). These trees came from cuttings from my paternal grandmother's tree located in Selma, Alabama. That tree came from cuttings from my great-great grandmother's tree in Clanton, Alabama, which came from the tree that was planted in Autauga County (then Baker, then Chilton) in Alabama when the family settled in the area around 1820.

That was not fair. I fell asleep and they were gone lol. Great story Bryant and great for the new members to get cuttings.
                Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

People like you is what this forum is all about, thanks Bryant.
                  Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

• DBJohnson
                    DBJohnson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just trying to pass along some of the generosity that has been shown to me.
                    Last edited by DBJohnson; 12-27-2015, 11:53 PM. Reason: Correcting typo...I blame autocorrect.

OK...with one person passing due to their zone and the double-up, here's who we have for the first five:

Iowafig
                  Charlie
                  FarmerGreg
                  vito12831
                  JimmyS

I had enough cuttings to make up another package, so I'm also sending out to Cheekyjen and Dreubber.

I had originally planned on sending out by now, but have been fighting off a chest cold and staying inside. I plan to send out tomorrow (Wednesday, Dec 30). One person has already asked to delay shipment due to weather, so if anyone else wants the same, please PM me by mid-morning eastern time. I will PM tracking numbers after everything is sent.

Comment

• Cheekyjen
                    Cheekyjen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Super excited! Figgys are sooo generous! One day when I am able, I will give back!

Hope you feel better Bryant!

Very nice of you Bryant.
                  Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

Im excited! Thank you

Comment

Packages went out today to everyone who did not request a shipping hold. Tracking numbers have been sent via PM. Remainder will be shipped next week.

Comment

Got the package today.. Looks great thank you again! Chad
                        Iowa Z5

Comment

For those that got these cuttings, I would really appreciate hearing how they do for you. Thanks!

Comment

Bryant,
                            I got Leora Simmons and Nell Johnson cuttings from you in 2015. We are getting some figs from both of them and they are the favorite figs of my wife and my mother in law. They are in my top 5. They taste and look very similar to me and started ripening at the same time. do they look the same for you? We had a very hot summer here in eastern Oregon. I am trying to figure out if they are Celeste, Southern Brown Turkey or ?. They are still in pots, I am hoping they are hardy enough to put in the ground. Thank you very much for sharing them!
                            Greg

Comment

Definitely similar, but their leaf forms and growing habit are a little different. I did not get any Leora Simmons figs this year, but did get several Nell Johnson figs. Based upon forum feedback on the picks I posted this summer, I'm fairly certain that Nell Johnson is a Celeste-type fig. I remember Leora Simmons figs being similar, so that one may be a closely related variant, as well.

Thank you for the feedback and I'm glad that you and your family have enjoyed my heirloom figs.

Comment

Working...
                              X