X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re Kadota Cuttings

I have two Kadota cuttings that came out with roots and leaves lately. When I found them in a plastic cups with very light weight of each, I used water sprayer to spray them with water through the side holes that I learned from some members, the first day they all looked great, but suddenly this morning, I found all leaves and branches became soft and withered as per pictures shown. Since they are my favorite fig cuttings given by one good member, can you tell me how to keep them alive or survived. Your great help to this will be much appreciated
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

I hate to say it but it looks like too much water. I'm guilty occasionally myself
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• pacifica
      pacifica commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Hershell, Good that you are so honest and straight to the point. My concern is: Are they able to be survived ?

• Hershell
      Hershell commented
      Editing a comment
      No. It's over for them. Start with fresh cuttings

Once they get to tis point is over. My apologies
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Thanks to all

Comment

If you've used up your Kadota cuttings, I think I have one or two extra rooted Kadotas in 1-gal pots outside, from a late season rooting batch. They're dormant now after a short stint of growing, so they're not terribly impressive in size. Still, feel free to PM me and I could send you one if you can't find it elsewhere.
        Sarah
        Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Hi Sarah, I really appreciate your offer, but unfortunately I am in Vancouver, Canada, it will be a problem to send it over here, but your kindness is really appreciated. Let me wish you and your family a Happy New Year !

Comment

• Sarahkt
            Sarahkt commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, yes. Never mind! My offer was under the assumption that you lived in the U.S. Kadota is not difficult to find, though, so I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting more cuttings or even a tree at a local nursery.

Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

• pacifica
            pacifica commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks..........

Pacifica, how often did you water these? It seems like you have plenty of drainage. I'm just trying to not replicate your problem with my cuttings.
          Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

• pacifica
            pacifica commented
            Editing a comment
            Visceral, I removed the cutting from a plastic cup to a bigger pot this afternoon to see if there is any hope to keep this cutting alive. I found out the dirt is not wet at all. My problem could be due to lack of humidity (indoor humidity always remain between 55-60 which is not good I guessed) I sprayed water through the side holes only once in a week .

• Sarahkt
            Sarahkt commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Pacifica, I have a suggestion for helping to maintain the humidity and moisture. Not sure what your rooting set up is, but when rooting outside of the humidity bin, I find using 2 or 3 cups (rooting cup, opaque outer cup, and a top humidity cup as needed) has been great.

If you kept the clear cup in an opaque (like a Solo black or red cup), it would have the benefit of protecting the roots from light and maybe helping to maintain humidity and moisture levels. I've been keeping them in a secondary opaque cup when I remove the cups from the humidity bin to heating mats. I use a clear cup on top misted with a little water on top to help maintain top humidity (when there are leaves) and remove it gradually when the roots are robust. When I started doing that, watering frequency was reduced. I also usually just trickle minute amounts around the perimeter of the cup when the top inch or two of substrate is looking dry.

• pacifica
            pacifica commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Sarah, Thanks so much for your suggestion. i am doing the best I can to see if possible to keep this cutting alive.
            I will look around to see if I can purchase Kadota here in Vancouver, B.C. in Spring, but I was not able to find it last Spring thru various nurseries.

Originally posted by pacifica View Post
          Thanks to all
          It can survive Do not give up yet . When there is green, there is life
          Pull the whole thing out of the cup. Trim 2/3 of the roots. Cut down 1/3 of the 2 branches (too leggy !) . Plant it back into new soil . Wrap around the cup with some newspaper to block the light . Place the cup in a plastic bag. Tie it up . Use the fork to poke the plastic bag one time . Leaves might drop but that is fine , In one week, the plant will regain its lfie. Try it, youwill see the miracle . Give it another chance . Good luck !
          Last edited by maimai2; 12-29-2015, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• pacifica
            pacifica commented
            Editing a comment
            I am so excited about your bagging propagation and when i have new cuttings in future, I will give them a trial.
            For now, I will follow your suggestion to see how it goes. Thanks.............

Definitely provide more lighting next time. Those branches should be much thicker. I agree with Mai...you've got nothing to lose by attempting to revive it. I wouldn't discard it just yet!
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• pacifica
            pacifica commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for your respond. I am doing the best I can to keep this cutting alive if possible.
        Working...
        X