X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of breba buds, I hope

I was checking in on the potted figs in my garage yesterday, looks like a lot of breba buds are getting ready for spring. I'm looking forward to a lot of these varieties to see if they are worth being kept potted, should be informative.

Hoping for some cooler temperatures to keep them sleeping, though!
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Newbie question--you're supposed to pinch off all brebas as they show up on rooted cuttings, right? It's making me so sad!
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

• GregMartin
      GregMartin commented
      Editing a comment
      Just think of how you're helping that small little plant by doing it....that and that the fruit wouldn't end up doing well anyway.

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      It's recommended, yes. A price to pay for a more vigorous plant!

This tread prompted me to inspect my stash with a closer look - I too have lots of breba buds on Lebanese Red, Maltese Falcon, McCool, Nero600 and a few others.. Its very exciyting
    Last edited by The Figster; 12-28-2015, 12:29 PM.
    Ian

Really happy with what I have.

Comment

Heck, if the weather continues to be this mild all winter I'll get brebas on my in ground figs!

Of course, it will play hell with my other fruit trees.
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

• Kelby
        Kelby commented
        Editing a comment
        Then no peaches

• SarinaP
        SarinaP commented
        Editing a comment
        Boooooooooooooo

• GregMartin
        GregMartin commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife was taking Christmas lights off our peach tree and she said it looks like the buds are breaking....I don't want to look.

Then protect the trees from freeze and frost until spring!!!

I hope you a ton Kelby, how great would that be! Extend the season even more.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

In my PNW zone in British Columbia, I would never pinch off brebas. Key reasons:
        a. Main crop ripens when many other fruits are ripening and fruit flies are in abundance & they sneak into fig eye. Yaks.
        b. I have a happy harvest -- abundance of main crop figs.
        c. Brebas ripen in peak sunny weather in my zone and certainly yummy.

Comment

Working...
        X