X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here. Are Italian Figs The Best Tasting? What are your favorite?

There are so many varieties out there. Which one stands out above the rest?

They say the White Dottato Fig from southern Italy is the king of great tasting figs with its its thin skin.
    I havent tried one yet but this is what i read.

Im in zone 7a ontario.
    Last edited by Enzx; 08-22-2019, 01:16 PM.

Welcome!

It depends on many factors -- which flavor profile appeals to a person more, what texture someone likes/dislikes, climate and growing environment, fertilizing and watering schedule, etc. etc.

Your best bet is to let us know where you're located, whether honey, sugar, or berry flavors appeal to you most, and how you plan to grow them (containers vs inground). Then others can let you know which ones will produce well in your zone that fit your flavor profile. From there, you'll just have to grow them and taste them for yourself.
    “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
    – Chinese Proverb
    MA 5b/6a

Comment

Thank you good to be here

Comment

Not sure but my favorite so far is Burgan Unknown (which is still under trial to find whether it's a common type of not). But from what I'm growing, Raspberry Layye has got to be my favorite.
        South Florida - 10b

Comment

When the name of a plant cultivar includes a country, it is often due to its popularity there instead of its original origin. For example, Italian basil is from the tropics -- traceable to Reunion Island, Greek basil originated in Ethiopia, and so on. Figs were cultivated in the "Middle East" millennia before the Romans got into the act so it is doubtful which if any figs originated in Italy.
          Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.com

Comment

• BC BYRON
            BC BYRON commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol there is always a lesson to be had with Richard 🤣

• jessup42
            jessup42 commented
            Editing a comment
            1/4 wise guy & 3/4 wise man

I will say it again. It's Desert King in PNW. I don't know else where.

Comment

"Are Italian figs the best tasting?"

Being Italian myself, you must first ask yourself a few questions to know the answer:

Is Ferrari one of the fastest cars in the world?
            Is Sophia Loren one of the most beautiful women in the world?
            Is Armani one of the finest fashions in the world?
            Is I-258 one of the most delicious figs in the world?
            Phoenix, Arizona 9B

Comment

• American Infigdel
              American Infigdel commented
              Editing a comment
              You know if I was Turkish, I'd love Brown Turkey!

• MrC
              MrC commented
              Editing a comment
              You forgot about Pavarotti

• ginamcd
              ginamcd commented
              Editing a comment
              And...
              Ducati is the sexiest motorcycle.
              Parmigiana Reggiano is the king of aged cheeses.
              Prosciutto di Parma is the epitome of cured meats.
              San Marzano is at the top of the tomato world.

The list just goes on and on...

Anywhere in Ontario, with your wet and humid conditions during ripening season, a thin skinned fig can be a heartache to get to a perfectly ripe state. With figs, close enough to ripening is not anywhere near enough. They have to be dead ripe to really get the maximum quality of fruit. Once picked, that's it. Figs do not ripen after being picked. You cannot go out the day before rainy weather is forecast and pick those close to ripening figs, to save them. They must stay put on the tree, at the mercy of the elements. That is the dilemma of growing figs in wet, cold, humid climates.

To get to that perfectly ripe fig in Ontario, a fig fruit better be durable: no splitting, no thimble sized eyes, no inherently watery pulp, etc., so variety selection is very critical. The tree better be an early to mid-season ripener, or a good portion of your crop will not ripen nicely, or at all.

The tree's winter hardiness is a major factor if grown in ground. If container grown and given protection inside some accommodating structure over winter, its winter hardiness doesn't matter one bit.

Its earliness to ripen is crucial. Only early to mid-season varieties are practical for you to grow.

Fig fruits do not all ripen at once on the tree. You can get figs ripening for a 6+ week long period from the day the first ripe fig is picked to the last. Don't you want to eat and enjoy ALL, as is possible, the figs your tree grows?

Really, the country of origin of the fig tree is totally irrelevant.

I will give only one recommendation. There are more excellent varieties other forum members will probably recommend. It is the Smith fig. It has everything that you want: delicious, durable fruits, abundant output, mid-season ripening start, and it's price is not sky high. I think its country of origin is Serbia or Croatia?, by way of immigrants from there who settled in the Mississippi River Delta area, in the USA.

Thorntorn
            Last edited by Thorntorn; 08-22-2019, 09:21 PM.
            W. PA., Pittsburgh, zone 6b USDA, but more 5b, realistically. All pot grown fig trees, no in-grounds.

Comment

The fig that you grow yourself will be the best tasting fig..unless you grow a capper fig.

Comment

My favorites have changed since I found I can ripen some later varieties well. Planera, De la Plata, Motoso Preto, BM JFE and all of the CDD have really shot up. But my favorite for every reason is CLBC.
                Soccer playing, whiskey drinking, cigar smoking, dark fig eating woman
                married to my best friend, the same uber tolerant man, for 29 years
                Zone 7a

Comment

• ofon
                  ofon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Price surely can't be one of those reasons

• blaze
                  blaze commented
                  Editing a comment
                  whelp actually the De la Plata, Motoso preto and CDD were all trees I have grown from cuttings and cost $15 or less. he BM jfe I bought for $109 a couple years ago so that was a bit pricey. The CLBC I was given to me by a friend with whom I exchange materials frequently. So yes wasn't free, but not crazy expensive either.

Ripe figs are the best tasting.
                Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.com

Comment

Good Tuesday morning, 1/14/2020 - When is the best time to move in ground(Zone 10b) a 4 feet potted Violette de Bordeaux bought from Armstrong Nursery? Or will it be better to transfer it from its 3.5 gal nursery to a larger 15 gal at this time of the season? Appreciate your responses. First time in this forum

Comment

Richard Thank you.

Comment

I am proud of my Italian heritage, but as a fig grower, Greek figs visually seem like they would taste the best. Unfortunately that opinion is mostly speculation as I haven't been able to try many of them as they tend to lean towards being smyrnas. I've seen many photos of Turkish figs and figs from parts of the middle east and mostly I am not impressed. Assuming we can rule those countries out... The answer is going to be found in the hottest/driest Mediterranean locations where the blastophaga is present and for many generations the people living in that place deeply cared about their figs. That last point is very important. There may be a specific bird that eats figs and travels in a specific migratory pattern throughout the Mediterranean. Either from country to country or island to island. You'll likely find the highest concentration of very tasty varieties in a place like that.
                    Zone 7A - Philadelphia
                    Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X