X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will spring come to the Northeast/MidAtlantic?

I know there a lot of threads already about the weather, but I can't deal with this cold any more. We are expecting sleet/ice tomorrow. The only silver lining is it's going to be 60 this Wednesday. So we have a brief bit of reprieve from old man winter.

On a brighter note, I'm posting some fig cuttings to cheer me up! And hopefully you too! Thanks for looking.

Von, Northern VA 7a

We had an early Spring over here as temps were hitting upper 80s in January and most of February, but on Monday, we had freezing rain, ice and sleet. Go figure. Tonight, it's 32 and next Tuesday is forecast to be 70.
    Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
    Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

Otmani, yeah not good when you have nice weather then cold, hopefully the cold is only for a few days and not for weeks on end.
      Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Yeah, this crazy weather plays havoc with the trees that came out of dormancy. I think we may just to have to endure another couple of weeks of this crazy weather, the the Spring will be here to stay.
        Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
        Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

Spring begins on March 21st this year.

I can't agree more, when I consider it "warm" outside and its still below freezing, its been a cold winter!
          Phil
          Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

March 20, 2015, at approximately 6:45PM EDT.
            Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

Okay, Phil and Mike! Appreciate the exact date, could you also get Mother Nature to get with the game plan? LOL.

And yes, I agreed Phil, I was without a jacket on Friday and it was 35 outside! I thought it was spring like.😂
              Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Not soon enough!!!!

Comment

I feel your pain. In two weeks the long range forecast is calling for 60F here in NY City so I am getting a head start and opening my greenhouse in the next two days.
                  Rafael
                  Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Mario, I agreed!

Rafael, wow, my weather forecast is for 60 on Wednesday and then back to 40s for a bit. But maybe your weatherman is better at forecasting than ours. They are never anywhere correct beyond one to 2 days.....so maybe the 60 on Wednesday is wishful thinking?
                    Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

For what it is worth, Accuweather posts forecasts 45 days out. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fai...orecast/336254
                      Brian
                      Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Comment

Hey Von,

Those rooted cuttings look great. I am also looking forward to at least two days in a row above freezing. Thank goodness March is only a few hours away.

Comment

Haha, Bill! If only March meant spring. Yeah, couldn't stand winter anymore so had to post some spring like pictures.
                          Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Pretty sure here in northern NJ it'll be in the 30s starting Monday, then 47 on Wednesday! I consider that spring despite the early date after going to work at 4:30am and seeing single digits, 0, or negatives for the past several weeks.
                            Arne - Northern NJ - Zone 6A

Comment

Healthy looking trees! I'm with you...bring on spring.
                              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I am eagerly awaiting spring as well but we're slated for yet more snow tonight in Eastern MA. We're at 102" for the year so far with the all time record being 107.6". The average is around 45-50" for this area. It would be nice to "get the record" this year after all the snow. We already have the snowiest month ever this February with 65" (the number 2 snowiest month was 43") I have a 3 foot hedge in the front yard and the snow is to the top of it.

Enough of the complaining though, it's winter and it's supposed to snow. Really looking forward to spring and the warmer weather. Would appreciate a long slow melt so the flooding is limited.

It was 60 in my unheated GH yesterday (outside temp of 25) so it's almost time to move my cuttings out there so they can drink in the sun. Maybe next weekend they'll make the move.
                                Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Frank, thanks! A few of those are your Unk Carini.

Kevin, I'm glad to not to have to dig out 102" of snow, you can keep it up north, but it sounds like you have a bit of spring in your GH. I need to get mine put together.
                                  Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Working...
                                  X