X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympian

Does anyone have information regarding the relative ripening time of Olympian main crop as compared to Celeste, Hardy Chicago or some other well known fig.
    John Z5 Wish list:

This is from Almost Eden's website, " Introduced in 2014, the Olympian Fig produces truly huge, as large as a tangerine, purple skinned fruit with a very sweet red to purple flesh. Its cold hardy breba crop can ripen as early as May and is known to withstand temperatures into the teens. The plant itself is hardy down to zero degrees once well established even though it will freeze to the ground only to return in the spring and bear a crop of fruit the following summer. "

Comment

This is form ModernMom, "Single-Crop Trees

Non-breba trees that do well in Texas include Ficus carica "Celeste" -- a cold-hardy variety that produces a small, sweet purplish-brown fruit. While Ficus carica "Celeste" only produces one crop, that crop comes early, in mid to late June, generally before the main crop of other fig varieties. Ficus carica "Alma" offers a rich and deliciously flavored fruit that ripens from mid-July until the first frost. Ficus carica "Texas Blue Giant" is a recently developed fig tree producing large, purple figs that ripen in mid to late summer."

Comment

http://www.thenewstribune.com/living...e25888723.html ,
        “It’s called the breba crop,” says Dolan, referring to the Latin-origin word meaning “twice-bearing” and lifting some 1- gallon Olympians up to illustrate. “About now you’ll see these tiny figs growing on even young trees. They’ll lose their leaves but the fruit stays. Not even the frost bothers them.”
        The tree then leafs out around May, and the fruit — already given a head start —swells and ripens by July, tangerine-sized and with violet skin and red flesh.
        The breba crop ripens in approximately 90 days even in the cooler weather of the PNW. The main crop figs should start ripening approximately 30 days later or a total of ~ 120 days for those in zones with warmer summers...
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Pete, I guess at 120 days Olympian can be considered a late ripening fig. I was hoping it would be somewhere in the middle. Perhaps it's breba production and the late ripening of it's main crop is in line with the possibility of it being an EBT variant. I have three plants that are good size and I doubt that they will ripen any figs before October.
          John Z5 Wish list:

Comment

John,

120 days is actually middle season...

~105 days Early
            ~135 days Middle
            ~165 days Late

... ripening for first main crop figs.
            The time spans are from bud break to 1st ripe main crop fig and breba figs are usually ~ 30 - 45 day earlier for each cultivar.

LSU Improved Celeste is one of the earliest ripening and its ~ 106 days for first ripening main crop figs at my location.
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I interpreted 120 days as late from my interpretation of your 30-60-90-120 rule. I didn't realize the 120 days was from breaking dormancy, I thought it was from rice size figs.
              https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...=1470107733664
              John Z5 Wish list:

Comment

• AscPete
                AscPete commented
                Editing a comment
                Suspected as much

Yes, The time span for bud break to rice sized figs varies (sometimes greatly) for different cultivars, but has to be added to the 30-60 (early) to 30-90 (late) ripening from rice sized fig rule of thumb.
            Working...
            X