X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter over figs

Just read this and thought I would winter over figs rather than remove them. The read is by Gustav Eisen.

What do you think?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

I think depend on you zone๐Ÿ˜‰
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿผ.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I left a few on my VDB and one on Flanders to see what happens. They are in my garage so they shouldn't get to cold.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Depends off your conditions. Once when I've protected my trees I left some figs on my trees, which were main crop figs. Next year they have ripened for me, but we had very light winter. Usually the figs are dropping their fruits under -3 C, so if you'll have lower temperatures then you have dont have too much chance....

Comment

Xenil, I can see where outdoor figs would abort, but what about those plants with figs that were brought inside? I have read where some folks strip leaves and figs before bringing indoors.

I have a large inground tree with a few figs remaining. They had started to swell before cold weather. It's interesting how the leaves and immature figs aborted but not the swollen figs.
          Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Think about the energy cost to the tree of ripening figs without leaves. If you plan to grow them inside think about how large they'll get and if you can give them enough light to get them large and still be healthy.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• jmaler
              jmaler commented
              Editing a comment
              I was thinking the fig would remain dormant until spring and then resume its ripening process or maybe not.
          Working...
          X