X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooting cuttings

My first time with cuttings, this is a BI39. How long do roots have to be to plant? As u can see there are buds growing on top already, and just little sprouts of roots. Put this in water on 12/7. Thanks guys
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Those are root initials, roots can still take days to weeks to form. Most people move the cuttings to pots with 1/2" or so long roots.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Ok thanks I just wasn't sure since it was budding so much
      Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

It happens sometimes, several of mine did it last year. If your ready, you can pot them now since they are growing, I did it with no problems.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Yeah....just DON'T over water.
          Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

If I were you I'd put her in cup with well rung smag moss. I have been told water root is weaker than other way to root. But but what I hear! Congratulation on a job well done Amico. It warm my heart to see post with tis cutting doing well!
            Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
            1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
            2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

They could be root initials or just lenticles which are not roots and will never be roots. To me they look like lenticles but that is just an opinion. They tend to form in very moist environments which means sometimes too wet. I have never tried rooting in water though. If it was me I would cease the water and put it in coir now or long fiber sphagnum moss. Make sure you wring out every drop of water you can out of either one. Then when roots form in another 1-3 weeks and hit 1/2 long plant it but remember water is the enemy. Because it is sprouting I would root it in a cup with a cup on top somewhere where it gets some light but no direct sun. That is just me though.
              Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

The photos are a little blurry but I would agree with lenticels.

Rooting in water can take a loooong time. Both of the attached pictures are from cuttings that have been in water for six months or more. I'm pretty sure they were from 05/20/15 which would be a little over seven months. The two with the little roots just started growing roots within the last two weeks. The larger ones a couple months ago. Both had the little white dots in the first week.

As you can see, leafing out in water doesn't seem to be an issue though.

I'd switch to the spaghnum or direct pot method as mentioned if they are important to you and you don't want to wait another 3-6 months.

Good luck.
                Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

Sounds good thanks guys I have other cutting in coir and they are starting to show roots I'll post a few pics
                  Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

• WillsC
                    WillsC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "test"

Taverna's chai, has the best roots out of all the cuttings. Started 12/7
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

Wow belle job! That is ready for cup Amico!

Comment

Planted the cuttings that had 1/2 inch or more of roots it 1/3 perlite 1/3 fahfar, 1/3 wood chips. Have them in large storage bin so I don't shock them comming from coir. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
                      Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

You have drain hole in cups? Maybe 3-5 on bottom and 3 vertical 4time around cup. Heat mat under them? Don't over water...

Comment

Have holes on sides and bottom. No heat mat the room is around 66-70 degrees.
                          Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

I have them under my grow lamps, but out on the side not under the light directly.
                            Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

The paleness of the new growth suggests to me that they need more light than what they're getting. Just a thought.
                              Sarah
                              Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

That new growth was in the coir I had them completely covered, I just took them out yesterday.
                                Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

• Sarahkt
                                  Sarahkt commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  That explains it. Looks good to me otherwise! Keep 'em warm and humidified while they root with daily airing and mold checks and it will go well.

Awesome thank u
                                Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

I agree that you might want more light for those cuttings. They look like they are doing fine otherwise.
                                  USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

>> Planted the cuttings that had 1/2 inch or more of roots it 1/3 perlite 1/3 fahfar, 1/3 wood chips.
                                    Do you literally mean wood chips...or do you maybe mean pine bark?
                                    Wood chips are not the best to use for potting medium, since they will consume nitrogen as they decompose and directly compete with the cuttings/trees (that will need that same nitrogen to support their growth.)
                                    I think just going 50/50 perlite/fahfar would be better than including the wood chips.
                                    Cheers
                                    Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

Bark I dunno why I said wood chips
                                      Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

Working...
                                      X