X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safest way to ship bulk box of cuttings from Italia ?

My Zio come here from Italia Jan 9. He say he will bring me large box of cutting. What is best way for him to bring many cutting without get taken away? I known how to label box but I means to transport.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Lucky dog!!!!

I'd say FedEx or UPS.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

You could always have him send them to my address Just kidding, he could send them labeled as craft supplies...

Comment

No no I understand how to label. Only will they be safe no damp towel? Just in Baggie in box.

Also these trees are no for me but one each type. Rest are to root and for ourfig members once I get them to root and grown😉

Comment

Wrapped individually in moist news paper in plastic bag. Or damp paper in big with them.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post

Also these trees are no for me but one each type. Rest are to root and for ourfig members once I get them to root and grown😉
            Super awesome of you Mike!!!! I'd like to be on that list.

Comment

Once I have them in my hand I will let forum known. Depend on how many he bring me depend on if I let go as cutting or if I to root them and release as trees. But these trees.... They belle Sì?
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Maybe M. Pons can chime in how how his cuttings are prepared for shipping. From what I recall it is like Scott said, roll each cutting individually in damp (but not wet) newspaper then roll tightly in plastic wrap.
                Steve
                D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                  Rafaelissimmo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pons disinfects his cuttings and then wraps them in saran wrap, with a label outside. Fairly simple.

Regular mail, use no tracking!
                I did this quite often, also from Italy to USA, always arrived.
                In bocca al lupo!
                Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
                Zone 8B

Comment

• Taverna78
                  Taverna78 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What type you have from Italia?

• Rob Ster 010
                  Rob Ster 010 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Taverna78 i have 20 different varieties from Italy.
                  HarveyC you never asked me! LOL

• HarveyC
                  HarveyC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Okay, Rob, I'll start working on my list! I was just hoping you'd surprise me.

Okay. But Zio bring with him in check bag. Pm me so no post remove

Comment

Mike - safe way to ship would also be to saran wrap (clingwrap) the dry cuttings and their natural moisture will prevent them from drying out, then place the saran wrapped cuttings in a ziplock bag. You can have him do bundles of 5 or 10 to make it easier in saran wrap. They should travel very well then, hoping for safe travel for those little sticks of glorious wood
                  May the Figs be with you!
                  ​​​​​

Comment

I like individually saran wrapped and stored in a ziploc bag without added moisture as well. Extra moisture seems to lead to mold /rot.

Although if he is bringing them with him, it doesn't sound like they'll be in transit long so it might not matter either way.
                    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

i wrap them in kitchen towel first, than in plastic wrap. Do NOT use damp newspaper it might mold the cuttings.

Like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	paintt2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	59521

Zone 8B

Comment

I agree with Rob. Roll them in newspaper or paper towel but DRY paper. The paper is there just to absorb any moisture. Rolling them in wet paper is a recipe for disaster when you are talking about the possibility of 20+ days in shipping. Wrapped tightly in cling wrap will hold the moisture in. Re hydrating cuttings that are a bit dry is easy, just recut ends and soak in water for 24-48 hours. You can't fix moldy rotten cuttings.

Mike though means that his uncle is not mailing them he is bringing them with him.......i'm not sure about that Mike......
                        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

If US customs finds them when he arrives they will be taken.

Shipping them is a far better way to go.

Comment

Especially now with all these terror threats you can be sure everyone's baggage is thoroughly searched.
                            I would definitely mail them.
                            Zone 8B

Comment

I like them mailed dry. Just cling wrap that's it. As Wills said easy to hydrate them.

Comment

They will come. My word. WillsC I explain morning. I Am exaust from job. I eat pizza now sleep. Buon a notte family... Is for you when they come

Comment

Have a great night Mike!!! Enjoy that New York style pizza!!!

Comment

It might be worthwhile to ship half the cuttings, and hand-carry the other half. That doubles your chances of getting them here safely.
                                    Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

Well first batch make it on plane. These are giant cuttings! Like almost permanent marker diameter and node every couple inch! I will post more photo of full cutting soon but they came only group together in cardboard shop bag. No wrap each one alone in paper just big bunch. 3 type. I wrap in damp paper towel and regroup and in fridge now. I actually have to cut them to fit in crisper! Ahahahaha!!! Do they need to soak? He had bottoms in water for day in Italia and then straight here. They stayed cool.... Being there is so many node is there length minimum to make more cutting? Each stick maybe 1.5 feet. Is off very old large trees I have 2 more box come in post soon
                                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                                      Last edited by Taverna78; 01-10-2016, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Mike, I'm so happy they made it with no problem! I'd let them soak for a few hours.

Comment

Then wrap up into fridge?

Comment

• COGardener
                                            COGardener commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Yes then wrap and into fridge or straight to rooting with some.

Mike- they look nice and healthy. Congrats on them making it safely. Good luck brother!
                                          May the Figs be with you!
                                          ​​​​​

Comment

He also bring my favorite desert! Anyone known tis??? In English unless you know on my dialect 😉
                                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• COGardener
                                              COGardener commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              No idea what it is Mike, but looks amazing!

• joann1536
                                              joann1536 commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              Cartellate?

• Taverna78
                                              Taverna78 commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              Joann

What tis?? In English.
                                          Working...
                                          X