X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first time leaving my rooting cuttings / small plants home alone!!

So I left my little figgies home alone for the week. Its 3 days in and im stressed about them lol. Im hoping to have someone go check on them tomorrow but eeek its stressful not knowing how they are doing. They are all in various stages from 2.5 months to 3 weeks. I feel like im a bad "parent" for abandoning them lol Anyone else get this type of anxiety when going away for a bit?
    Last edited by Kelby; 01-06-2016, 08:11 AM.
    2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

I don't know what you're talking about.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

I dove head first into "figs" and ended up quickly acquiring 150 cuttings that are all in various stages of rooting. I left them for a week and have been having nightmares of coming home to a bunch of dead /dying plants.
      2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

I will neither confirm nor deny having any experience with that sort of experience. Not gonna do it.
        Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

I rooted cuttings with a shattered foot last year, I sometimes did not look at them for a week or more... they will be just fine!
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Sometimes less attention is better, love kills
            Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• DBJohnson
              DBJohnson commented
              Editing a comment
              As the song says.... "Love hurts...."

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Yeah, they will be fine. You may lose a few but you would have lost them regardless.
              Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOME ONE CALL THE FIG ABUSE HOT LINE !!!!!! The Guy left the Kids Home A lone on XMAS

Comment

I had a horror story experience just recently as we were staying at my grandma's over Christmas and I neglected to water my outdoor potted plants before leaving as it had been so rainy recently that I figured they'd get natural water over the 4 day weekend. Well I come back home and not only has it not rained but it has been hot and sunny the whole time (highs in the 80s and lows in the high 70s for days on end) and some of my citrus have leaves drying up, turning brown and falling off, one jujube with leaves all brown and dried up (it had some greenish color when I scratched the bark so I gave it a good soak and fingers crossed) and most stuff in various stages of drying out. I knew it was bad when I saw my soursop wilting severely, as it is probably by far one of the most neglect tolerant and drought hardy plants I have grown, and its pot was light as a feather. I suppose I should tie this in to figs so I'll mention that when I was resoaking some I noticed a cutting I had rooted some weeks prior had dried out completely and went brown and shriveled, but the one next to it just dropped some leaves and still had its green buds waiting to break dormancy.

Your stuff will probably be fine though, my mistake was not prepping my stuff for my absence in the first place

Comment

I've done this a few times before and generally everything has been fine. The worst time was when my neighbor over-watered some baby figs and I lost a couple Pons cuttings. Now I give extremely detailed instructions and my wife thinks I've even more nuts!
                    Steve
                    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                    WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

One more problem.... now all the fig addicts know that your cuttings are home alone...HE HE.. no LOL
                      Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

• COGardener
                        COGardener commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Shhhhh!!!!!!

Originally posted by LouNeo View Post
                      I dove head first into "figs" and ended up quickly acquiring 150 cuttings that are all in various stages of rooting. I left them for a week and have been having nightmares of coming home to a bunch of dead /dying plants.

Wow, that is a lot of cuttings for a head first dive! I'm determined not to be a helicopter parent to my cuttings. You pour your heart and soul (and folding money) into some sticks though, and it is a challenge. I've 3-cupped some cuttings, and the roots are everywhere. I'm scared to touch them for fear of disturbing their happy homes. I know they need to go into a gallon container eventually or else get root-bound, but it's hard.
                      Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

I tend to dig in and put 100% into new things lol. Luckily I have a relatively supportive girl friend I figured the more I had the more im likely to have some that are successful lol!

Comment

Got home tonight, definitely have a few that will be a battle to save but overall it looks like most of them made it through the week. A bunch of the ones I setup to start rooting are showing great roots so far as well. Im not leaving the house for more than 1-2 days ever again. The stress...

Comment

There's only one thing worse than leaving your figs/cuttings alone for a week...and that is asking a non-fig person to look after them while you're gone. You just never know what they're going to do!
                            I'm glad they survived.
                            Cheers,
                            Jim
                            Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

• LouNeo
                              LouNeo commented
                              Editing a comment
                              haha I had someone come check on them 4 days in and told them to look but dont touch and call me to let me know how they were. He called me and told me there were a couple that looked a little "wilty" so he watered them all for me. I nearly had a heart attack. Drying them all out a bit more now. Hence im not leaving anymore, simple instructions are hard to follow.

Don't give up on them even if they drop all their leaves.

I've had multiple cuttings bounce back after initially dropping their leaves.

Good Luck
                            Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

LouNeo,
                              This is how much water your babysitter thought he used:

How much water he used:

Last edited by Visceral; 01-05-2016, 01:45 PM.
                              Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

• SarinaP
                                SarinaP commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Wahahahahahaha

Next time, arm your plant sitter with a 0.5 oz eye drop bottle and forbid him to use anything else!

Or if you really trust the guy, a Nalgene wash bottle. I use one for watering cupped cuttings as needed and it's great for controlling the water output.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                              Sarah
                              Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Working...
                              X