X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want Elderberry cuttings?

If anyone would like to try some Elderberry, I have plenty of extra cuttings that I'm happy to send out for postage or trade (preferably). Thanks for all those that have sent cuttings, hope to offer some fig cuttings of my own soon.
    Cayuse, Oregon Zone 6a

Are they wild or cultivars? Are they native or European? Thanks
    Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

These are wild blue elderberry that grow up and down the west coast. Have a few established trees on the property, use them for wine and jams. I love elderberry wine, definitely one of my favorites.
      Cayuse, Oregon Zone 6a

Comment

I use our native Sambucus Canadensis to make what my kid's call "dad's constitutional"....elder berries extracted in vodka, berries screened out and composted, then the liquid sweetened with honey. I'm going with it being antiviral during cold and flu season. One can never be too safe!
        Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

How well would they do in a container?

Comment

• Kelby
            Kelby commented
            Editing a comment
            Elderberries are pretty vigorous, make it a big pot if you do.

Originally posted by GregMartin View Post
          I use our native Sambucus Canadensis to make what my kid's call "dad's constitutional"....elder berries extracted in vodka, berries screened out and composted, then the liquid sweetened with honey. I'm going with it being antiviral during cold and flu season. One can never be too safe!
          I thought because of the trace amounts of a cyanide related chemical, that elderberries should be cooked? I grow European elderberries, all my plants are fairly young. I use them both for fruit production and ornamental reasons. For fruit I have the new cultivars from Denmark. Samdal and Samyl. You prune these like summer bearing raspberries.
          I also have a variegated cultivar and Black Beauty and Black Lace. Beautiful plants. All are Sambucus nigra.

Speaking of infusing vodka. I just infused some for New Years with Raspberries from my garden.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreubber View Post
            How well would they do in a container?
            No idea, they grow well in my zone so I've only ever seen them growing in ground.

Originally posted by Andrew Fignar View Post

I thought because of the trace amounts of a cyanide related chemical, that elderberries should be cooked? I grow European elderberries, all my plants are fairly young. I use them both for fruit production and ornamental reasons. For fruit I have the new cultivars from Denmark. Samdal and Samyl. You prune these like summer bearing raspberries.
            I also have a variegated cultivar and Black Beauty and Black Lace. Beautiful plants. All are Sambucus nigra.

Speaking of infusing vodka. I just infused some for New Years with Raspberries from my garden.
            I believe the cyanide is in the seed, stems, leaves and bark, but straining out the seeds/pulp or cooking/dehydrating the whole berry is effective. I eat them raw in small quantities with no issues. It really makes a fantastic wine, highly recommend it. Same story on the vodka, we had a ton of raspberries this year and got creative for uses. Few pounds raspberries, brandy, vodka, star anise, cloves, and a vanilla bean, been sitting for over 3 months now.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
            Cayuse, Oregon Zone 6a

Comment

• GregMartin
              GregMartin commented
              Editing a comment
              I know that online they are very clear that you should make sure to remove all stems. Never felt the slightest bad after so hopefully not an issue. I did some additional reading and apparently for health effects 20 drops a day is recommended...so my shot glass might be a bit of a heavy dose.

• drew51
              drew51 commented
              Editing a comment
              Those jars look good!! I will try the vodka-elderberry infusion some time too.

What about some seeds ????????????

Comment

Originally posted by pukzpukz View Post
              If you stick cuttings in powdered concrete they will root before the cement hardens. This is by far the easiest plant to root ever. Even faster than currants. Not sure why you would want seeds?

Comment

• pukzpukz
                pukzpukz commented
                Editing a comment
                Have you ever heard of Johnny Apple seed ? And have you rooted your cuttings in this manner using powdered concrete ???? Is this a proven method for never tried this one Thanks

Originally posted by pukzpukz View Post
              Can't help you until next year, only have cuttings.

Cayuse, Oregon Zone 6a

Comment

Working...
              X