X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pale leaves on rooted cutting

Here is an Atreano cutting which I rooted. It is a very thick cutting and I have two concerns. 1) It is growing very aggressively and it will soon outgrow (by height) the light. If I raise the light all my other cuttings will suffer. Is it ok to pinch it? 2) The leaves are very pale by comparison to my other cuttings. It has been fertilized with a dilute solution of liquid fertilizer at the same rate as the other cuttings yet it remains very pale. Should I be concerned?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

That cutting is fine. It will green up. Raise the height of the other cuttings by putting something stable underneath them. Then you will have a level canopy.
    PPP
    Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

I keep all of my leafy cuttings on shelves in front of a south window. They're doing great on natural sunlight, at room temperature. Most started out light and darkened as they got more leaves.
      Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

You can see the Christmas tree on the leaves which as a rule means it has a bit of a deficiency which is probably just a temporary thing it will grow out of. You can try misting the leaves with a foliar spray and see if it makes the leaves green up. What is in the soil mix?
        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

It's Promix HP with some dilute Canna Aqua Vega

Comment

Interested to hear more about Canna Aqua Vega. How well has this worked for you in the past, and what dilution are you using with your cuttings?

Thanks.
            Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

Comment

Smithmal. I have been using Canna Aqua Vega this season only. I have been using it because it has micronutrients where Miracle Grow does not. I am using it at 5 ml per gallon. (I believe that is at half the rate on the directions). It seem to be working well. I have previously used citrus tone and which has fish emulsion and that worked well also but it molds up on top and is a bit stinky in the house.

Comment

I used Canna Aqua Vega on my cuttings last year and am using it again this year. The directions say 8ml per gallon. I used 4-5 ml per gallon on young cuttings and to pre-moisten the coir media. When the cuttings get decent root and leaf growth, I bump up to 8-12ml per gallon. The cuttings seem to grow decently well using it.
                Johnny
                Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

It looks to me like it's near the edge of your light field and isn't happy with the amount of light it's getting. The internodal distance seems long also, which is another symptom of too little light compared to what the plant needs. Perhaps put a 100W equivalent LED or CFL a few inches above it. You can use a clamp lamp but the reflector has to be wide or the heat will destroy the bulb. I often used them without reflectors for that reason. For CFLs many people point the middle of the light at the plant but it will get more light if you point the side of the bulb at the plant. I will attach some aluminum foil or mylar to the surface I hang the light from to get reflected light back on the plant.
                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Bob: Those plants get rotated so its position relative to the light changes daily. That is a good observation about the internodal spacing. I think that particular plant is a beast and it just wants to take over the room LOL. The plant just sent up two new shoots from under the soil. I am afraid to see in the morning what it has done overnight.

I am building an LED light and hopefully it will be done soon. That should solve any light issues.

Thanks

Comment

My BM (UCD) is like that: Much paler than my other rooted cuttings. It is in HP Promix.
                      2nd year newbie --- [My Figs] --- Eastern Missouri --- Zone 6 --- Wish List: a greenhouse, a shade cloth pergola, and a screened porch

Comment

Atreano is stretching for light. It will stay compact if it doesnt have to try so hard to get the light it needs.
                        wnc Z7a Hominy Valley
                        wish list: ciccio nero, moscatel preto, Hollier, Exquisito, borda barraquer, VS (vs), makedonia dark

Comment

• ginamcd
                          ginamcd commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hopefully the Atreano in the first post is now a healthy four year old tree providing lots of fruit. 😁

• jessup42
                          jessup42 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Could be 30' tall with 6 branches if that light intensity continued
                          Didnt realize twas a 4yo post lol. Woopsy
                      Working...
                      X