X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unk Stella?

My friend game me a sucker a couple year ago from his father’s tree he brought from Sicily: Nearest big town Agrigento. Actual town Realmonte for any of you guys who know Italian geography.

Its really good. It’s weeping honey. Has big green 5 lobed leaves. Roots and airlayer super easy is sweet and Adriatic looking but it’s really big. 70-100g. Pools honey in the cavity.
    Ostiole is open but the honey is plugging it for me. Turns yellow with sugar spots when ripe. The originator used to bury it in his yard in the Bronx and now in central pa. It fruited well. However he became infirm and couldn’t bury it and it died in 2017. I gave an airlayer to a member and am going to give one to my friend as well. I will have a ton of cuttings I will be happy to give away to keep his legacy alive.

If anyone would like to to comment on it and perhaps suggest it’s identity, I would appreciate it. The leaves I think are much bigger than dalmatie but there are some similarities. I think it is most likely a Stella variant.
    Attached Files
    Soccer playing, whiskey drinking, cigar smoking, dark fig eating woman
    married to my best friend, the same uber tolerant man, for 29 years
    Zone 7a

That’s awesome. It looks like a pear. I have a tiny Stella, but the leaves do look similar.
    Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, Black ischia, Jack Lily, verdolino, Syrian dark, rubado, sodus Sicilian, Burgan, Figo preto de Torres novas, i258, raasti, white triana

Comment

Very pretty both fruit and foliage.
      Angel #1 at 2 Angels Mushrooms-Chattanooga, TN Zone 7-B
      2020 WL: MIB, TX Peach, Burgan Unk., Thermolito, Yellow Neches, Shasta Peach, Jumbo, LSU Jack Lilly, Sanguinato.

Comment

Bump for this gem. Thank you Blaze, i hadnt realized there was a backstory for your Stella fig but now Im so pumped 1 took root. Maybe 2? I hope it lives on to carry the torch of RealMonte & Italy.
        WNC zone 7a at the intersection of Mt Pisgah & the Blue Ridge Parkway

Comment

My Stella has leaves same size
          Actively seeking any and all varieties
          #Sharing is caring
          Courtenay, BC 🇨🇦 zone 8a

Comment

Super cool!
            Those figs are huge.
            Ive had pears that were smaller!
            Vancouver, WA Zone 8b See profile for current varietal list
            WL: Cessac, Campaniere, Burgan, Tashkent, Blue Honey, Cardenillo, RGR, Dolce Calderai, Balkan Grey, Joualle figs

Comment

Thanks guys I am happy to spread it around. I am sure I will have more cuttings to share in November. My hand is large (I am an old goal keeper); they are very large figs. The figs ripen bottom to top. Wait until the figs have a lot of sugar spots 3/4 of the way to the neck and the neck is soft to pick them. Weeping honey all over. I didn't have any pest problems with it. It's early mid season. It can over winter in ground with protection in 7a/6b. The leaves are stunning 5 lobes with thumbs or even 7 lobes. Elegant and huge. They are excellent strawberry syrupy figs. Top 10 for me for sure. My top overall performers were my CLBC (best fig ever), three garden varieties (B,N,G) CDD which ripen really well in my grow room. De La Plata (Bass), BM JFE, Blanche de Argentile, Izbat, Hative D Argentile, Smith (I have 5) my unknown etna (Kelly- I have both in ground and potted suffered zero die back this year with only wood chips heaped up a foot on the trunk) and this one. I had about 40 varieties to fairly assess last year. I have another 20 or so varieties that should fruit for me this year (I took their baby figs off last year or they were too young to properly judge flavor ie <3 years)

My "Stella" sucker grew a ton the first year and did not fruit. I got 11 fruit from it the second year. Last year about 35. Its not really prolific with 2-3 figs per branch but each fig is equivalent to about 5 "normal" figs. It had lousy form so I air layered and pruned it hard this past year so I am not sure I will get much more than growth this year. It had two breba but I sunburned them. They are hanging on but not sure they will hold.I hope it performs for you as well.
              Soccer playing, whiskey drinking, cigar smoking, dark fig eating woman
              married to my best friend, the same uber tolerant man, for 29 years
              Zone 7a

Comment

Thanks for posting this, it is an interesting looking tree for sure!
                -Carl (Marlton, NJ (Zone 6b/7a))
                WL: CdA, CdD mutant, De Tres Esplets, Tre Volte Natalina, Nero del Cisternino, Sangue Dolce, BFF, Noir de Caromb, Sao Miguel Roxo, Dall Osso White

Comment

Nice looking fig, thanks for sharing.
                  South Florida - 10b

Comment

blaze it looks a lot like my Vasilika Sika (Belleclare). I used to have Stella but culled it when I discovered that Vasilika Sika (Belleclare) and Stella were indistinguishable. However, from what you describe it sounds like your unknown behaves better in the ground in our area. My VS (B) is definitely more cold hardy than average so that's good. However, if gets any significant die-back then it either won't develop fruit at all that year or it will develop just a couple fruits so late that you can't really enjoy them. So it sounds like yours might have all the advantages of Stella/VS (B) in terms of delectable fruit but is better suited for in-ground growing.
                    Steve
                    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                    WL: Zaffiro, Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

• blaze
                      blaze commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well mine doesn't fruit either if it dies all the way back. Grows like crazy, but doesn't even set fruit. I know that from my friends dad's "mother" tree and his experience. However with modest protection, albeit on a south brick wall, it has fared well during our uncommonly mild winter. I keep one in a pot as well because I really like the fruit and that one is very reliable. I don't have a VS Bellclare, but defer to you. It is unusual in its extremely humidity wet/water resistance (doesn't crackvery much or split), pest resistant although I did tangle foot the trunk, but no SWD, size, size of leaves, super ease of airlayer and rooting, It tastes great, but I am guessing similar to other Stella types. I think its a sturdy reliable Stella that is especially easy to propagate. I am thinking of taking a cutting or two now to root with a graft of some of the expensive cuttings I am planning on rooting this weekend.
                      Last edited by blaze; 04-09-2020, 04:50 PM.

I got mine in Oregon , I assume it’s a Stella also. The largest fig it produced was 212 grams most of them are 100/150 grams , they taste great and they produced from the end of August till heavy frost. Rewton. I eliminated my Vasilika Sika also because they were similar

Click image for larger version

Name:	13D59407-3A2D-4B19-BD78-1D2C24299D2B.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	977.8 KB
ID:	740655Click image for larger version

Name:	62ACD3CA-054A-41AD-81CE-27BF100CE551.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	740656
                    Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

• Cguitar
                      Cguitar commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mario is this similar to your Bertani #56?

• Mario
                      Mario commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cguitar yes very similar, #56 came from Bertani winery near Verona, Italy.

• Cguitar
                      Cguitar commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Mario👍

is it rain resistant?
                    Mine splits in rainy weather and attracts swd

Comment

• blaze
                      blaze commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes very. A few of them had some minimal cracking. Zero splitting. I had SWD this year. Seemed to especially like my LSU tiger. I don't know if it was the honey plugged eye and minimal skin cracking or some other ephemeral factor, but I lost zero of these to bugs or beasts. Its downside in my opinion is its tendency to grow instead of fruit if its been pruned heavily or is young. Limit fertilizer like I do with my Smiths.

barshomi Mine don’t split they do crack on the sides sometimes when ripe, they are protected from rain a bit, being next to garage wall they’re under the roof overhang
                    Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

For me it is Dalmatian. I have two uterine bushes. One has long been cultivated in Russia. Another was imported from Italy a few years ago with a lost tag. But I was able to easily determine the name of the plant from Italy. The answer to the photo.

Comment

• Mario
                        Mario commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice looking figs

Hi. I am new to the forum. I'm trying to view the jpeg images in the first post. For some reason; I only see the four addresses of the images. I click on them and get this message:
                      Invalid File Specified.
                      I'm new here and use linux so maybe it's my account or is it a windows problem?

Comment

• jessup42
                        jessup42 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Be sure to Login to see pics. Sometime ur viewer logs u out btwn uses

Mazway you are new after a few posts the system will clear you
                      Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

Working...
                      X