X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this O'Rourke?

I just swung by a tree I'd been watching and was pretty excited to see that it must have had ripe figs for a week or two. It was notable that these recent figs had been ripening through 3 days of rain and were still pretty good (The Brunswicks I visit are a mess, by comparison). I couldn't find any that were peak ripeness, as it seems this tree is highly targeted by birds, but the figs were still good. Flavor is sweet with a hint of acid, but no berry or fruit punch notes. It's strange to have one without the other, but still enjoyable.

My best guess is O'Rourke, but I'd like to hear from folks with more experience. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	750xxx.png
Views:	258
Size:	851.6 KB
ID:	607547Click image for larger version

Name:	edit.png
Views:	223
Size:	522.2 KB
ID:	607548
    Springfield, OR - Zone 8b

Nice presentation.
    Cheryl (f/k/a VeryNew2Figs) Zone 5a/6a
    What I'm growing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

Additional info and comparison of O'Rourke, Improved Celeste and other varieties.

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...tal-comparison

Johnson1
      Zone 9b
      S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

Figs seem not really ripe. Notice how much darker the figs are in the linked discussion above.
        Joe, Z6B, RI. Taking COVID-19 seriously. Self-quarantined, looking forward to next season.

Comment

• DerekWatts
          DerekWatts commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm guessing they're about two-three days from a perfect ripeness. Birds seem to be going at this tree pretty hard and the only whole figs I could find were only ~10 g or like the ones pictured. As to the color specifically, I'll have to stop by again and see if these are the typical coloration. This is the first time I've gotten to see ripe fruit on this tree, so there's still a lot I'm unsure about.

Also noticed the eye in your picture is rather open, while O'Rourke and Improved Celeste in my experience are predominantly closed.
        Johnson1
        Zone 9b
        S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

I took some photos of one of my “o” rourke figs. Picked maybe 2 days too early
        Independence Louisiana Zone 8B

Comment

• DerekWatts
          DerekWatts commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Do you find this is a pretty typical example of the fruit?

I’m wondering if this one may be LSU Tiger? Look at ricky’s pics at the end of this thread. Looks pretty close. https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...6080-lsu-tiger
        Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, Black Tuscan, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, Black ischia, Jack Lily, vincenzo, verdolino, Syrian dark, rubado

Comment

• DerekWatts
          DerekWatts commented
          Editing a comment
          Hard to say, my LSU Tiger should put on fruit this year, so I'll be able to compare. I also have an O'Rourke from Ed, so I might be able to rule that in/out as well.

I’ve got a tiger cutting in medium now. I lost my first one. hopefully I can get one to take.
        Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, Black Tuscan, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, Black ischia, Jack Lily, vincenzo, verdolino, Syrian dark, rubado

Comment

• Sod
          Sod commented
          Editing a comment
          Good problem to have. 😉

• Bellefleurs
          Bellefleurs commented
          Editing a comment
          Sod, is this alright? I was concerned because I have read that cuttings can grow roots and then run out of energy and never grow leaves. Out of 40+ cuttings that I am currently rooting, this is the only one with such massive roots yet absolutely no sign of upper growth....no nodes swelling. Nada.

• Sod
          Sod commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it’s probably great. You can start putting a little fertilizer in your water. High nitrogen should pump a little more vegetation

My O’Rourke looks more like Nick’s , and it does not look like my LSU Tiger either. Possibly Improved Celeste? My Improved Celeste trees are young and have not fruited yet so I don’t have any experience with that variety.

Comment

Working...
        X