X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSU Fantasia

Today I was flipping through the latest catalog from Henry Fields, and I came across the LSU Fantasia fig. I never heard of LSU releasing a fig by that name so I did a quick Google search. From what I found on F4F it looks like they're just selling " O'Rourke" as "Fantasia". Did anyone else hear or see anything about this? It seems like Improved Celeste and O'Rourke get mixed up enough, now there is a third name floating around.

http://www.henryfields.com/product/f.../native_fruits

Johnny, if memory serves, this came up last year as well. I'm sure it was determined that there is no "Fantasia" it is simply a marketing gimmick or a very poorly mislead label further adding to the naming confusion and issues.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

That's purely for marketing. They take a common cultivar of any fruit and give it a sexy name. The lower class nursery operations do this all the time.
      Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
      http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

No, it's true. When you eat the fig you start hallucinating about Mickey Mouse. LSU was afraid of lawsuits from car wrecks, etc so they never introduced it. I'm surprised HF is. Or maybe they just don't know.
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Maybe they were hallucinating when they put it in the catalog. Mystery solved. It all makes so much sense now.

Comment

Don't buy this fig, when you eat it, you hallucinate and the experience is not good....you get bad feelings about overpaying for admission, parking and food and then waiting in line all day.

Comment

• Sarahkt
              Sarahkt commented
              Editing a comment
              At least the music will be great. Some of the greatest (or most popular, anyway) pieces of classical music while you're in line.

Buy it, love and nurture it.... give the fruit to people you don't like.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Hmm..I think I just discovered the Peyote Fig in the remote regions of Migaragia. If you eat it and then close your eyes and rub them with you knuckles you see a kaliedascope of wonderful colors! I wonder it will go for on the streets?
              (that fancy talk for my garage, for those without imagination)
              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

So now we can become Figafarians? Yeahhhhhhhhh

Comment

So....should I relabel my O'Rourke as MMLSD (Mickey Mouse on LSD)?
                  Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• COGardener
                    COGardener commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, actually I do.

But please don't.

• DBJohnson
                    DBJohnson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Killjoy....

• COGardener
                    COGardener commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know. ... I just suck the fun out of everything.

Lol

Gurney's indicates that it's Scott's Black (see Botanical Name on their chart). Not that it matters because it's still a load of unnecessary confusion.

http://www.gurneys.com/product/fanta...outhern-groves
                  Last edited by DBJohnson; 01-07-2016, 07:20 AM. Reason: Added link to Gurney's page...
                  Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• COGardener
                    COGardener commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And for $60.00ea..... they are real, real proud of it.

• Harborseal
                    Harborseal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Confusion is not the word I would have chosen, but you probably made the wiser choice

• DBJohnson
                    DBJohnson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Harborseal Were you thinking something more like "@@@@amamie horse puckey"?
                    Last edited by DBJohnson; 01-09-2016, 03:09 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect...

Unless they label it MMLSD in the catalog I'm not buying it.

Comment

A hallucinogenic "Fantasia" fig is something I'd expect from Ty Ty Nursery, not Henry Fields!!! I'm sure that's what the folks at Ty Ty eat when they produce their marketing videos...
                    Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

I went to their site once, with in seconds I left and have never returned.
                      Last edited by COGardener; 01-09-2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

LSU, LSD, What's the difference?
                        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I was curious about this fig so I called Henry Fields and they said it was Scott's Black too. And it doesn't come with LSD. She didn't seem to find that amusing...
                          Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Working...
                          X