X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Socorro Black

As others have commented on, this is a beautiful, high quality, good sized fig, very productive, and in reasonably dry weather here has been hard to beat. It does split to some degree in a lot of rain but is not as bad as many others. I have been a little more impatient with these and have picked them at a slightly earlier level of ripeness than I usually pick figs, but these have been delicious - I will try to hold off another day on the next ones.

Some have commented on its similarity to Borjassotte Gris, and I agree it is very similar in leaf and fruit. My Socorro Black appears to be a healthier plant than either of my B. Gris plants.

Photos of last evening's harvest:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	soccoro black 1.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	608599

Name:	soccoro black 2.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	608600

Name:	soccoro black int.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	608601

Attached Files
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

My Socorro Black has done relatively well in the rain the past two seasons and seems to ripen earlier than my I-258 and Noire de Barbentane. It's become one of my favorites.

Now that I'm hearing it's similar to Bourjasotte Gris, I may just stick with my SB and not bother trying to get a BG.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

I've tried and failed with SB, but I do have BG. How similar are they? Enough to forget about SB?
      Zone 7B/8A Wake Forest, NC. Wish list - 1. To stop murdering fig cuttings. 2. To find the biggest, juiciest, cold hardiest, most delicious common fig in the world! (and not murder it)

Comment

• Mangoman
        Mangoman commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello Michael! I have both and they are actually 10 ft apart in 15 gal pots. Definitely different figs! but if limited with space, I would not have both!

• Netstars
        Netstars commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that answer Mangoman!

I do not say they are identical, but at least quite similar; I am not sure it would be needed to get both varieties. For me it is worth it to have them both since my plants are grown in 5g SIPs and I want lots of the figs
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Looks amazing!
        Eric Los Lunas NM, Zone 7

Comment

Sure does! Enjoy it ,Ed

Comment

Every day I come here and you guys just keep sucking me deeper and deeper into this fig thing! My list is getting longer and longer !
            South Jersey, zone 7a- 20 mins from Philly, 30 mins from AC

Comment

Looks awesome I got one I’ll be picking tomorrow. I hope it looks as good as yours
              Central Ga zone 8a

Comment

Ed. Thanks for these posts. Love to hear your thoughts
                Catonsville MD Zone 7A
                Wishlist: Burgan, Becane

Comment

@eboone,

In one of his posts Ramv mentionred that his SBs produced Brebas, but Ben B does not include them in his list of Breba figs. What has been your own experience?

Thanks!
                  K2 in Seattle, Zone 8b

Comment

• eboone
                    eboone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don’t typically see many breba on my plants in small SIPs, but I have seen none to date

K2 Here is my Socorro Black with a Breba crop! Only one branch of the tree showing but there were something like 53 figs on this tree at less then 1 1/2 years old. It has a second crop now and has produced well over 100 figs and still under 2 years old. A nice sized fig with a good flavor.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Bren55
                    Bren55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow, what a breba crop, very impressive Mangoman. I hope it likes Tn. Weather!

• jrdewhirst
                    jrdewhirst commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mangoman -- Thanks. I only have VS and only since last year, but it is knocking the ball out of the park. I don't feel any compelling need to add BG or SB, even if there is a possibility that one of them might be marginally better. But I would modify my pruning of VS if a good breba crop is a possibility. As you learn more, please let us know.

• Mangoman
                    Mangoman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @Brenn55 I bet it will love TN. weather if a zone 8 especially. jrdewhirst I thought of you as I went out looking at my VS and it is kicking them out with double figs at many nodes and is completely loaded. I am sending you a p.m

Woohoo! Mangoman you have just made my day with your wonderful photo!

With our cool summers in Seattle, some years the only crop we can depend on is the Breba crop. I am ecstatic about your photo and the possibility that I can get an outstanding fig like SB to ripen.

Do you grow yours in-ground or in pots (due to nematodes)?

Thanks!
                  K2 in Seattle

Comment

• Mangoman
                    Mangoman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello K2 in Seattle. Yes, all in pots like you thought. Tin foil covering all pots and heavy mulching. Glad you have another one you want that may prove great for you.

ramv, did you see the incredible photo above of @mangomans Socorro Black Brebas?
                  Wow!

Comment

Is Socorro Black

an early ripening tree? Did you use a GH assist? Is this one of your inground trees?
                    thx
                    sal
                    Such little time so much to learn
                    zone 7a New Cumberland Pa
                    Hoping for Global Warming changing my 7A to an 8 😊

Comment

Sal, it started ripening on 9/9. My potted plant did have about 3 weeks in my popup greenhouse, I was late getting it up this year. But I don't think any of those I put in the greenhouse were more than a week ahead of the others I grow due to the very nice spring we had without a late frost.
                      Ed
                      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Originally posted by K2 View Post
                        ramv, did you see the incredible photo above of @mangomans Socorro Black Brebas?
                        Wow!
                        Mangoman is showing us all how good of a grower he is.
                        Socorro Black is definitely a breba producer. Whether it holds onto its breba or not is a matter of climate, local conditions and possibly nutrition.
                        My tree unfortunately dropped its breba and much of its main crop. Our weather here has been atrocious. No summer at all to speak of.

Comment

ramv, yes our 2019 Seattle area summer weather has been Atrocious with a capital A!

Comment

Working...
                        X