X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off topic, looking for rootstock/scion of pear OHxF 51

I am branching out in my fruit tree grafting efforts (I'm the Frankenfig guy), including pears (biscamp/southern barlett/perdue).

The pears were grafted last year onto both p. betulifolia and callery rootstock, both of which are vigorous fireblight resistant varieties, but a bit too vigorous, with mature sizes as large or larger than the species.

There are apparently precious few (any, really?) semi-dwarfing pears that tolerate the heat and humidity in the gulf south, fireblight USA.

I have read that OHxF 51 did very well down here and is semidwarfing, but suckered poorly or otherwise didn't lend itself to propagation as a rootstock. Plus it didn't do well further north.

I ordered some from the USDA and anticipate getting two cuttings. I will be grafting some onto other trees for a ready supply in the future, but also hope to try both rooting some for future grafting, and using some as an interstem between the callery and the fruiting pears. I'm gonna run out of wood real quick like.

The crux: does anyone have access to OHxf 51? an old tree that died back to the rootstock and regrew? an intact grafted specimen that suckers? li'l help?

It's a long shot, but. . .

Thanks
    Last edited by Kelby; 01-06-2016, 08:02 AM.

I don't have any OHxF I just graft to seedling callery that has seeded about. You might look into Quince as a dwarfing rootstock, Not sure if all pear are compatible on it and I have never grafted to it, but you might consider as a dwarfing stock for pear. Fireblight might be to much an issue with Quince
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

thanks Phil, but I think you are right, I've read that quince is generally FB bait.

Comment

https://www.raintreenursery.com/Pear_Quince/

No 51, but a few options.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I don't recall ever seeing ohf51 for sale.
          https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
          SE PA
          Zone 6

Comment

I grafted a pear last year on oh 51. The graft did not take. So I have a small tree of it. I have a lot of plants piled on top of eachother so will be hard to find I will look around for it but it is yours if you want it pm me.
            Cian.

Comment

Tangential question: Fireblight was in a huge pear tree that had been on the property for years before we bought it. (The tree was so huge, it had been struck by lightning years ago which split the trunk vertically...and both sides survived and thrived afterward....except for the Fireblight.) Anyway, the blight spread to the hybrid willows I planted last spring and practically wiped them out (only 6/200 survived). I removed the tree and burned it (was careful to get all the debris in the fire, too).

So....what should I watch for this spring/summer? How long does this stuff hang around? What types of trees are most susceptible to Fireblight? Are figs in danger of it?
              Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• Kelby
                Kelby commented
                Editing a comment
                Fireblight usually just blows in on the wind, certain weather conditions will cause strikes (right temperature, humidity, rain). Pears, apples, quince, and other relatives are quite susceptible. I personally try to only plant resistant varieties of pear and apple. Figs aren't susceptible.

Keep an eye out for leaves that look like they were burned (thus the fireblight) and the ends of young twigs are black and curled. Prune out 6-12" below the visible infection as soon as you can and destroy it. Avoid fertilizing too heavily with nitrogen as that will cause excess green growth that is weak.

• DBJohnson
                DBJohnson commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Kelby.

Kelby was that not an option to get at landis valley grafting work shop

Comment

• Kelby
                Kelby commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't recall, honestly. Usually you just see ohf 87 and 97 for sale.

What types of trees are most susceptible to Fireblight?
              My Bartlett pear trees are sometimes effected by fireblight during rainy conditions in the Spring.It normally effects the new growth and sometimes kills part of the branch that the new growth is sprouting from. My Seckel pear tree does not get fireblight.
              Barry
              NE GA ,Zone 7b Low Temperature of 4F in 2015,17F in 2016,17F in 2017,6F in 2018,17F in 2019

Comment

Working...
              X