X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Timing Belt

Mods, please feel free to take this down if it's inappropriate, but I just wanted to warn people about their timing belts. This summer, my mechanic suggested I replace mine because it was overdue and I put it off because it's about $900 for my make/model. This morning, well before sunrise, mine snapped in the 18 degree cold and I had to walk half a mile in a skirt suit with no tights and a knee-length coat to a daycare center that thankfully was open. In my preoccupation with a morning meeting at work, I had left the house without my cell phone so I was REALLY lucky that I took that route and not say, I-95 like I usually do.

That said, please keep an eye out for belts, car repairs that you think you can't afford, and keep emergency stuff in your car! *end of PSA*
    Last edited by Kelby; 01-07-2016, 11:50 AM.
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Sarina, that's good advice and thanks for sharing....
    I'm real sorry you experience such an ordeal with car maintenance on a very cold day.
    Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

Wow, sorry to hear of that. I hope the repairs aren't way more than $900. I've heard they can be. Mine was in bad shape when changed last. Just dodged that bullet
      Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
      http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

Yup... Thank you for the concern. I've never had a belt break like that! I'm putting an extra pair of sweatpants and a sweater in my car as soon as I get it back.
        Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

On man, that sucks! I'm sorry.
          Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Originally posted by SarinaP View Post
            Yup... Thank you for the concern. I've never had a belt break like that! I'm putting an extra pair of sweatpants and a sweater in my car as soon as I get it back.
            You should also keep several hand-warmer packs and flashlight... (I was stuck in a winter storm at night few years back).
            Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

• SarinaP
              SarinaP commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't even imagine! I'm the biggest crybaby when it comes to car stuff... I'm so clueless about what's truly important and what can wait. Hand warmers are definitely going on the list, thank you! I have a small flashlight in my roadside kit.

Ouch! Definitely good advice. Sorry you had to go through that and glad you're safe.
            Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Add a big candle as well and kitty litter.
              Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

Here's what I keep in my emergency kit:

Sleeping bag
                Box of protien bars
                Several candy bars (I prefer Payday)
                5 liters of water
                Kitty litter
                Folding trenching shovel
                Knife
                Come-Along
                100' Paracord
                Hand warmers
                Knit mittens
                Thinsulate gloves
                Thinsulate balaclava
                Knit cap
                Large crochet afghan (roll it up to use as scarf)
                Printed list of emergency contacts and all phone contact list (laser printer and laminated)
                Supplemental USB power supply that takes AA batteries
                Large pack of AA batteries
                Handheld ham radio with power adapter and battery pack that takes AA batteries
                First Aid kit
                Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• DBJohnson
                  DBJohnson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's what stays in the trunk of my primary vehicle pretty much year round. I drive a company car many miles each year and freshen the food/water/batteries every equinox (fall and spring). If I take a longer trip in my personal vehicle, I move the supplies over for the trip.

WalMart is only 6 miles away along a very populated road, so I don't worry about that drive.

• Needaclone
                  Needaclone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Throw a lighter and a 1-man tent in there and you're good to go, Survivor Man! ;-)
                  Seriously, though -- everyone should have the forethought to pack a small kit like that...

• DBJohnson
                  DBJohnson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lighters stay in my car, my coat pockets, my jeans, and in my travel humidor with the cigars. 8x16 tarp and another 100' of paracord is in my EDC backpack. Also have a magnesium striker and a sealed tin of fire starters in the EDC pack.

I sure hope the your engine is a non interference set up. If it is not, a broken timing belt usually damages the top end of the engine, the $900 repair can now be 2 of 3 thousand, even more on some cars.

Sorry to hear this, I hope all works out well for you.
                Last edited by COGardener; 01-07-2016, 04:46 PM.
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Sorry to hear that! Just curious..how many miles are on the vehicle?
                  Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• SarinaP
                    SarinaP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    182K! I'd gotten all of the other stuff done, but this one I didn't because of the price tag.
                Working...
                X