X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q: What makes a good cutting:

Are buds good or bad?
    Are wounds from cutoff side branches significantly bad?
    Keep as long as possible or cut to four or five nodes?

"Anything that has been frozen is not a good cutting." Really? My dormant trees have all been subject to sub-freezing temperatures.

Q: How to store cuttings:

Store dry or damp in a zip-lock bag?
    Wrap with damp paper or plastic wrap or both or neither?
    Wrap bottom end with parafilm or wax-dip before storage?
    Is putting them in the "crisper" any advantage?
    Eastern Missouri --- Zone 6a

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Q: What makes a good cutting:

Are buds good or bad? Buds/nodes are crucial to growing new shoots.
      Are wounds from cutoff side branches significantly bad? Just don't cut it all the way flush to the main branch so it can either rebud or heal over. A flush cut may wound the main branch.
      Keep as long as possible or cut to four or five nodes? Every cutting is different. I like 3 to 5 nodes, some people root one node. 6-12" is good for me.

"Anything that has been frozen is not a good cutting." Really? My dormant trees have all been subject to sub-freezing temperatures. Yes, but for selling/trading purposes it's hard to say when they will start being damaged.

Q: How to store cuttings:

Store dry or damp in a zip-lock bag? Not damp.
      Wrap with damp paper or plastic wrap or both or neither? Not damp. Other than is personal preference. I do either ziploc bags or plastic wrap. Some people put them in dry moss.
      Wrap bottom end with parafilm or wax-dip before storage? If you want to, I don't.
      Is putting them in the "crisper" any advantage? They should wrapped well enough it doesn't matter where in the fridge they are/
Working...
X