X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes 30 percent perlite with MG seed starter.

Comment

Hey, I just found this frequently referenced topics page... So, if I started some cuttings a couple of weeks ago, would it be too late to start them over with this method? I would think it would be fine, right?

Comment

• grasshopper
        grasshopper
        Fig Phenom
        grasshopper commented
        Editing a comment
        That depends on the cuttings and the method you are using. 2 - 3 weeks is typically the window for initial root development in easily rooted cuttings. Some cuttings take even less time, some take longer. Which method did you use?

I mixed up some miracle grow seed starter mix and some perlite and scored the cuttings and stuck them in the soil. I’ve got holes in the bottom of the cups and have poured water in a basin for them to wick up the water.

Comment

• grasshopper
        grasshopper
        Fig Phenom
        grasshopper commented
        Editing a comment
        Be careful of overwatering. At the beginning, you don't need to "water" the cups until you see some roots. The mix can be premoisten with about 10-15% water by volume. Also, depending on the percentage and size of perlite, the mix can be pretty water retentive so you need to be careful with watering.

Basically, you are planting them in cups (but not transparent ones)? If that is the case, you can dig one out to check. Worst case you break some tiny roots but they will grow back. I usually flip the cup upside down, squeeze & remove the cup and then gently remove the soil by hand.

Did you use parafilm or wax to seal the top above soil? If you do that, you don't need the top cup and later acclimatation.

Yeah I haven’t watered. Sprayed a little a couple times. That’s it. Pulled them out and no roots yet. I didn’t use parafilm either. I had some Saran Wrap over them at first but took it off because I was worried it would get too humid

Comment

Btw, I just got some parafilm I’m the mail so I took them out and wrapped them

Comment

I started my first batch with the three cup method and it worked great up until they started leafing out. I think my house is too humid to begin with (45-50%), so even adding holes as directed left me with graying and molding leaves. I finally prematurely ditched the top cups, all the leaves died and dropped, but after I got them under lights six survived. I went with parafilm and direct potting for the rest and this seems to be working better for my situation.
          ginamcd
          Fig Phenom
          Last edited by ginamcd; 03-18-2018, 11:12 AM.
          “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
          – Source Unknown
          MA 5b/6a

Comment

I used the humidity bin/top cup sometimes, usually in cases which leaves grew quicker than roots(even with parafilm). When I use the bin, I typically don't need to water for weeks due to low evaporation. If you don't overwater, the roots would catch up eventually.
            Moved from SoCal 10b to N. NJ 7a

Comment

Working...
            X