X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT. I got my yearly report card

This is the final count for pecan grafts last year. I tried to upload more picks but something is giving me a fit with that.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

You made 42,865 pecan grafts??? Wow, surely not all by yourself. If so how long did that take? What grafting method?

I've made a few in my day but no where near 77% takes.
    Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
    http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

Those were whip grafts. I think my most successful day was 2600 grafts. No it's not all by myself, I use my crew to help with tying the grafts. I just cut them and put them together. I built a cutter to cut the scion and someone cuts it and hands it off. I cut the toung and put them together. It is a team effort to accomplish that. Beleave me
      Last edited by Hershell; 01-09-2016, 05:09 PM.
      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Dave
        Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        and what did the teacher give you on your report card?

That is amazing Hershell!!! A very busy time of year for you indeed. I'm happy with doing just 20 to 30 grafts in any given year... even if the hail destroys them or a crazy cold snap kills the trees. It's just for fun for me.

I hope this year is even better!!!
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Grafting for Shiloh Farm your fast and good or your replaced. They are good people to work for.

Comment

With 200K grafts to do.... fast... yeah!!!
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I guess pecans aren't as easy as something like apples or pears? Still, damn impressive!
            https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
            SE PA
            Zone 6

Comment

• Hershell
              Hershell commented
              Editing a comment
              Kelby, I would say there easy

• Kelby
              Kelby commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotcha. Out of curiosity, if you care to tell, how do you get paid? By the graft?

• Hershell
              Hershell commented
              Editing a comment
              .75 per graft and .25 for each that takes. It's just a hobby but pays pretty good if you can live through it.

I saw his .25 bonus check today, those quarters add up lol, was over $8,000
            Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Nice 40K payday, how long does it take you to do? I would say around 3 weeks?

Comment

• Hershell
                Hershell commented
                Editing a comment
                Well my full time job is a distraction from grafting so I have to work around it. It was a little over 3 weeks. We're going to start late this year because we're getting faster and can wait and still get it finished in time. Somewhere around the 25 th or so well start and see if I can be away from work enough this year.

• COGardener
                COGardener commented
                Editing a comment
                Darn those real jobs, always interfering.

Very impressive Hershell.

Comment

Graft and corruption go together like pork and beans. Now I know why Wills is always warning us.
                Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Impressive.

Comment

Wow! That's impressive, Hershell.
                    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Nice paycheck for something you like to do. The crew still needs to get paid, right? Are you able to keep it all in the family?
                      Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• Hershell
                        Hershell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No. I use my construction crew because this is usually our slow time of the year. Some don't want to help or just can't get the hang of it.

Wow! Great job Funny Man
                      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

How long have you been grafting and how did you get started?

Comment

I started about twenty or so years ago grafting citrus for my self and then a few years later a few to sell but only a few hundred per year. About nine years ago Buck said he heard that I could graft and asked if I would graft some pecans for him as that was there first year and didn't have many grafters lined up and didn't know how long it would take to finish five acres. I did but could only do a few hundred a day the first year because the trees were huge, up to 1.5 inches in diameter. After that year we started grafting them at one year old instead of two. I haven't helped every year because of construction but have for the last three years. As far as learning how a lady showed me a simulation of how her dad grafted camilas when she was young and she put fruit jars over them. So I took it from there and figured it was pretty easy and as long as timing is rite things go pretty well. We did have a really bad year two years ago weather related we think. Farm wide grafts were less than 30 percent and I think I was at about 55 percent but that's nothing to brag about. If you notice that Fish beat me. That's easy when his wife counts and he tells her not to count them all the first count. That makes his take percent go up. Mark does the second count and occasionally Fish will have over 100 percent takes. Fish is a full time employe there so it's all good.
                          Last edited by Hershell; 01-10-2016, 11:01 AM.

Comment

That is very interesting. Do the ones that don't take get grafted again?
                            Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

• Hershell
                              Hershell commented
                              Editing a comment
                              They all get dug up at the same time. It this years seedlings didn't grow as many as needed the ones that didn't take can be trenches in and grafted again. We usually do 5 acres of them.
                          Working...
                          X