X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction Vasiliks Sika

This auction is to help pay forum expenses. I have not been asked to do this but have an ok. Proceeds will be paid to Wills and the plant will be shipped the following week unless other arrangements are made. It is a newly rooted cutting and is fragile. I would consider holding it longer if the winner would prefer. I have not grown this variety out and assume the cuttings I bought are true to variety. The auction will end 3-8 at 9pm. Thanks in advance.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Hershell, such a nice thing to do. I'll open it with $25.
    Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

A nice move and an honorable cause, Hershell!
      $30
      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Bass’ Favorite Fig, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Thanks Hershell
        Plant sales are closed until further notice.

Comment

My bid Hershell $45.00
          New Bern NC Zone 8a ,Wish list : Col de Dame Rimada ,Galica Negra

Comment

$50, Hershell.

Once yours is done, I will probably do one as well. How does a Violette Dauphine sound? This one is not the UCD cultivar but the two crop one from Europe. Didn't mean to step on yours, but you got me all inspired. I would love to help make this the best fig forum in the world.
            Frank Tallahasee 8B
            North Florida Figs

Comment

• Hershell
              Hershell commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Frank. By all means that sounds good, that way I'll get to bid. I was going to do one each week for a while but the more the merrier. I can allways skip a week or have two going. And VD- VD, I don't wavt to abbreviate that one.

• FMD
              FMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Good thing I'm not putting my Sainte Teresa Dark up for auction. LOL

• FMD
              FMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Or my Fico Madeira Violetta...Someone stop me, please!

Hey, Hershell, I have different kinds of Vasilika Sika. Which one is this? Since I don't see the long fingers I wonder if this is what Herman calls Vasilika SIka, a more rare one that what Belleclare sold as Vasilika Sika.
            My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

• Hershell
              Hershell commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not sure Harvey. I have the long fingered one also and that has always been puzzling to me.

$75 Hershell.

I gave $50 to the other forum (before all the drama) and seeing this is a much better forum, I'd like to contribute more.
            Last edited by fitzski; 03-02-2015, 01:42 PM.
            Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

I'm aware of two figs that are called Vasilika Sika. The one that seems to be the most common one in North America is long fingered one in the Dalmatie/Stella family of figs. I have this one which I sourced from Gene Hosey and his notes infer that he got his fig from someone in NY who got it from Belleclare. The other one was identified as Vasilika Sika by Herman2 who got it here in the states from a fig grower of Greek ancestry. I have this one too from a generous forum member but it is not much more than a rooted cutting at this point and it has scales, unfortunately. The Herman2-sourced one looks like it could be the same as Hershell's in post #1 but it is hard to say for sure without comparing mature leaves and fruit. Harvey, are you aware of any others? I suppose to keep the confusion from getting out of hand we should use a distinct suffix for each of these types. Hershell, sorry to hijack your thread - best of luck auctioning off this fine plant!
              Steve
              D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
              WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

No problem Rewton. This one came from Herman2. Harvey I told you wrong. I did buy them on e-bay. The ones from Goss are a younger group. Harvey. This year I'm not just buying 2 of each, I'm growing 2 groups of each. I need a hobby, this fig ediction is killing me.
                Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Charitup
                  Charitup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Hershell sorry just seen this. I looked back at my records and my Vasilika Sika came from Herman2. Not sure if you needed this info or not. But now you got it.

• Hershell
                  Hershell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Goss.

Just a little bump to help out our ban width or whatever Wills has to pay for.
                Last edited by Hershell; 03-06-2015, 07:21 PM.

Comment

LOL, a great name, since a ban is what started this forum.
                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Kelby
                    Kelby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hah, ban width.

• Hershell
                    Hershell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Proves that a ban isn't always a bad thing.

Only a few minutes to go.

Comment

Hershell,

Who won the auction?

Comment

Think it was you Hershell is driving back from his latest greenhouse build, he won't be home for another 3 or 4 hours.
                      Plant sales are closed until further notice.

Comment

Sorry I was away. fitzski was the winner as Wills had said. Please PM me your address and we will determine when you want it shipped. Thanks to everyone!

Comment

Here's the latest picture of the Vasilika Sika I won. I up-potted when I got it and it was semi dormant for the month of March. After a few weeks in the greenhouse, it's started to push out some new shoots.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                          Last edited by fitzski; 04-30-2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

It looks to be happy at its new home.

Comment

I was reading through this wondering where the bidding was at. Glad I read the whole thread. At first I was like, how did I miss this one? LOL... aparently I have never met an auction i didnt like. .
                              Jeff in 6a

Comment

Working...
                              X