X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do figs keep?

I know it's a bit early, but I'm interested in planning for the future. Once picked, approximately how long do figs stay suitable for consumption without refrigeration? I imagine it probably varies by variety and countless other variables, but in general am I looking at a week or two? A few days?

I only ask because I won't be able to eat them as they ripen always. They'll get picked, but not all consumed.
    Last edited by COGardener; 01-16-2016, 01:31 PM.
    Houston, TX Zone 9a

As long as it takes for you to get it from the trees into your mouth.

A few days in the counter.
    Maybe a week or so in the fridge.
    Months in the freezer or dried.
    Long time dried and refrigerated / frozen.

Figs don't ripen much if any after picked.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Thanks Don. That is a lot shorter than I thought for non-refrigerated figs. I guess I'll just let them hang on the tree and hope the wildlife doesn't get them before I can.
      Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

Typically a day or two if your lucky.

A week ore two refrigerated.

They are very perishable.
        Last edited by COGardener; 01-12-2016, 09:58 AM.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Visceral
          Visceral commented
          Editing a comment
          Even a banana lasts longer than a few days before starting to brown. I am totally surprised by this.

And nothing worse than realizing the prize fig that's been sitting on your counter for 3 days is spoiled ;-{
        Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

There's always preserves. Nothing better on a hot buttered biscuit than some home-made fig preserves.
          Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• Visceral
            Visceral commented
            Editing a comment
            Now you've done it. I'm not gonna be able to get that picture out of my head for a while. I'll bet the taste is incredible.

• DBJohnson
            DBJohnson commented
            Editing a comment
            Those preserves are the reason harming my grandmothers' trees was a spanking offense.

• Merle
            Merle commented
            Editing a comment
            Heck yeah! My favorite and with melted cheese it's so good. Can't beat a fig welsh rabbit!

Originally posted by smatthew View Post
          And nothing worse than realizing the prize fig that's been sitting on your counter for 3 days is spoiled ;-{

For me, the prize fig will be whatever ripens first. I've yet to taste one off my own trees yet. So, I'll be enjoying them quickly per the knowledge I've gained here.
          Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

Figs that shrivel up on the bush like Strawberry Verte can last pretty long depending on just how dry they get. The watery figs spoil in no time at room temperature.
            Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
            http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

• Visceral
              Visceral commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll have some SV figs to taste this year hopefully, and based on what I've read, that shriveling will concentrate the sugars inside and make them very tasty.

I've never know a fig to last longer than it takes to pick it.

Comment

At my house, if I don't eat it, the kids or grandkids will. They never make it longer than 30 seconds off the tree.
              USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

In very hot weather sometimes the figs will spoil before they ripen. A fig should be eaten or refrigerated right away. A refrigerated fig may not last more than 3 days. I've never had any last over a week. Of course if you pick them under ripe they'll last longer. But at that point you may as well buy figs from the store.
                Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Originally posted by Harborseal View Post
                  In very hot weather sometimes the figs will spoil before they ripen. A fig should be eaten or refrigerated right away. A refrigerated fig may not last more than 3 days. I've never had any last over a week. Of course if you pick them under ripe they'll last longer. But at that point you may as well buy figs from the store.

Well, it definitely gets very hot here, so I tried to choose varieties that are suited for the heat and humidity. When pressed, I've frozen blueberries and even satsumas for months. The satsumas taste really good, and the blueberries make good smoothies and pancake additions.

The conclusion I'm drawing is if I can't eat figs quick, get them to the freezer and learn to make fig preserves
                  Last edited by Visceral; 01-14-2016, 09:24 PM.
                  Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

• ers8891
                    ers8891 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    exactly. or make a old fashion fig preserve cake... delicious

Old Fashioned Fig Preserve Cake
                    1 1/2 cups sugar
                    2 cups all purpose flour
                    1 tsp soda
                    1 tsp salt
                    1 tsp nutmeg
                    1 tsp cinnamon
                    1/2 tsp allspice and 1/2 tsp cloves (optional)
                    1 cup vegetable oil
                    3 eggs, beaten
                    1 cup buttermilk
                    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
                    1 cup fig preserves, mashed
                    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Buttermilk glaze
                    1/4 cup buttermilk
                    1/2 cup sugar
                    1/4 tsp soda
                    1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
                    1/4 cup butter
                    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
                    Combine first 5 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil, and remove from heat, add vanilla.

Combine dry ingredients, add oil and eggs, beat well; add buttermilk and vanilla, mixing thoroughly. Stir in preserves and pecans. Pour into greased and floured Bundt pan and bake at 350 for approx. 1 hour or until done. Cool in pan 10 minutes then remove. Pour warm buttermilk glaze over warm cake.

here is a link to the recipe

https://www.facebook.com/LouisianaHe...type=3&theater

• Hershell
                    Hershell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Are these recipes being kept somewhere we can find them all at one time?

You don't keep them... EAT THEM!
                  Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                  1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                  2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• Visceral
                    Visceral commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In a perfect world, yes. I travel a lot though, so I need other options.

• Taverna78
                    Taverna78 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Then I suppose it will matter what rip stage they in when you home....

• COGardener
                    COGardener commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Travel indeed, you and I both.

Interesting... I read this from Bass at another forum...
                  Last year I had around 3 pounds of figs on the tree that were not completely ripe, They changed color, still a little hard. It was late september and we were expecting freezing temps at night. So I picked them and put them in a ziplock bag, I left it on kitchen counter for 2 days. Surprisingly, they got soft and were sweet. Talking about Ethylene gas, there were a couple figs that were already ripe in the bag, they must've released that gas and ripenned the unripe figs.
                  Give it a try.

Bass
                  Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

Comment

When we couldn't keep up with all the ripe ones and had made very good preserves with more or less this recipe : http://www.achefslifeseries.com/recipes/37
                    We ended up drying and freezing several gallon bags like this picture.
                    Now down to the last bag earlier than expected.
                    The frozen ones are a great snack right out of the bag.
                    Drying and freezing was super easy.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Kerry - NH zone 5

Comment

Working...
                    X