X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tasting early/mid-season fig that stays GREEN when ripe?

So far Strawberry Verte is the richest, strongest flavored GREEN fig I have. It is a mid-season ripener for me.

Can you recommend any other green ripening, strong, rich flavored (berry+++), and also early to mid-season ripening fig for me to try? Thanks for your input.

Thorntorn
    W. PA., Pittsburgh, zone 6b USDA, but more 5b, realistically. All pot grown fig trees, no in-grounds.

Doesn't Green Michurinska fit the bill? So far, I only have 1st year trees. But I started them on the promise of an early Adriatic-is fig.
    Joe, Z6B, RI. It was a great season. But now winter is coming.

Comment

Thank you Joe, I will definitely make every effort to get started with Green Michurinska. How are yours doing?

Also, do you have a more detailed descriptions of its flavor? All I've been able to do find out so far is that it is sweet jammy....grape jam, strawberry jam, raspberry, peach, cherry, apricot......?

Thorntorn
      Last edited by Thorntorn; 10-09-2019, 05:49 PM.
      W. PA., Pittsburgh, zone 6b USDA, but more 5b, realistically. All pot grown fig trees, no in-grounds.

Comment

• jrdewhirst
        jrdewhirst commented
        Editing a comment
        https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...847#post600847

Steve Rewton describes it as similar to Adriatics, JHA and Battaglia Green. It started to ripen for him on 9/05, which might qualify as late mid-season. I think his season was running ~2 weeks ahead of mine. If it ripens here 3rd week of Sept, it would be only a week or less ahead of JHA, VSvs, Paradiso Gene.

p.s. My two GM's are growing very well. Or at least were until weather got cold. They're only 1st year trees, so I'll see how they fruit next year.
        Last edited by jrdewhirst; 10-09-2019, 06:27 PM.

• ginamcd
        ginamcd commented
        Editing a comment
        I had seen Rewton's post and was a bit disappointed as I was hoping it would have ripened earlier. Though his is still young and went in ground this past spring so probably still to early to tell.

Hi Thorn, what other green varieties that you have in your collection? Did you compare WM#1 and CdDB?
      Wish list: White Madeira #1

Comment

Jeffrey,

I have Strawberry Verte which fruited for the first time this year. It is so delicious that it sent me on a quest for other green, strong flavored varieties, and the earliest ripening, the better.

Why GREEN figs when ripe? The British, to this day, have not entirely given up reclaiming their American colonies. The War of 1812 repeats every harvest time on my Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania fig tree, concrete slab, with an onslaught of a horde of indomitable English Sparrows, bent on destroying my harvest. Green, ripe figs really fool them...so far at least!

BTW, figs that ripen yellow are devoured by English Sparrows here. It may be a matter of time before the English Sparrows learn to eat green figs.

I also don't need to be going any further into the "sugar sweet iceberg lettuce flavored," figs. I've got enough of them now: Madeleine des Deux Saisons, Green Ischia, Kadotta, Brooklyn White, White Marseilles, and Yellow Long Neck (although for its sheer enormous fig size alone, YLN is a keeper).

Thorntorn
        Last edited by Thorntorn; 10-09-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Strawberry Verte is so amazing and so impressive that I am not sure many other green figs will measure up. I did many side by side comparisons with another top rated fig and SV won every time.
          maybe an alternate strategy is to get it started very early.

Comment

• Thorntorn
            Thorntorn commented
            Editing a comment
            You know, I've been getting more and more disappointed with the light colored figs, thinking, "What am I doing wasting space and resources on figs that I eat mostly because they are there?" It is shameful just to let them rot.

Then along came Strawberry Verte, saving the day. It would 't surprise me if I decided to grow several trees of SV as I eliminate the others. Yellow Long Neck, would in that case, be the last remaining light skin colored fig, going by how I am disposed on the subject right now.

Thorntorn
            Last edited by Thorntorn; 10-09-2019, 08:50 PM.

Rockaway Green or WM #1?

Comment

• Thorntorn
            Thorntorn commented
            Editing a comment
            MDM,

Thanks for helping me. What makes them your recommendations? What is their flavor like?

Thorntorn

Jeffrey,

To answer your question.....Strawberry Verte is the only one that stays really green for me, even when well ripe, although sugar spots occur, along with cracks. It has been surprisingly weather resistant, no splitting to speak of, but this year I had a charmed harvest season here, hot and dry when most of the crop ripened. It's been wet now, but too late to do much harm...very little left to ripen.

All my other light colored figs ripen to shades of yellow from very bright self yellow, to dull chartreuse with pale mauve secondary lateral tones, none stay celery green when ripe like Strawberry Verte.

Thorntorn
          Last edited by Thorntorn; 10-09-2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

It's gotta stay green? What about yellow?
            Zone 7A - Philadelphia
            Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

• Thorntorn
              Thorntorn commented
              Editing a comment
              The English Sparrows destroy all colored figs except the pure green ones. Organza bags are ineffective, both in that the E. Sparrows destroy the fig inside the bag by working at smashing the fig where the bag touches it, and the bag holds rain water in its mesh, rotting the fig where it touches it, especially so when it rains overnight or on a cloudy following day.

My alternative is to try bird netting which I have scheduled to use next year, or grow trees that produce green ripe figs. So far Strawberry Verte is it.

Thorntorn
              Last edited by Thorntorn; 10-10-2019, 09:44 AM.

Try Verte (not Strawberry Verte). To me, the fruit of those two is indistinguishable in any way, but Verte has a better growth habit (less sprawling) and might ripen earlier — at least it did this year. Dries on the tree too, if the weather is good.
            Mark -- living in the CA banana belt, growing bananas, figs, and most any fruit I can fit in my tiny yard.
            Wish List: Campaniere, Verdolino, Rubado, Blanche De Deux Saison

Comment

• Thorntorn
              Thorntorn commented
              Editing a comment
              Mark,

Thanks, another welcome lead to explore.

Thorntorn

I’ve been searching for a green variety that stays green/yellow fig when ripe to deter critters, ripens early and cold hardy for 7b in-ground. Only downside for SV is its not cold hardy enough for in-ground.

and it has to be nearly as good in flavor as SV.
            Last edited by Jeffrey88; 10-10-2019, 01:34 AM.
            Wish list: White Madeira #1

Comment

Thermalito?
              Phoenix, Arizona 9B

Comment

• Thorntorn
                Thorntorn commented
                Editing a comment
                AI,

How would you describe its taste, especially if possible, compared to that of Strawberry Verte? Also, how early does it ripen for you, and any other traits it has would be great to know?

Thorntorn

• American Infigdel
                American Infigdel commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't have this fig nor have I tasted it. All I know about it I have read here and seen on YouTube. I think Bluemalibu or Fruitnut could answer your questions in detail. I do have its "ito" cousin, Esquisito, but its small and will be a year or two before I get any fruit.

I just ate a really tasty hollier tonight . it starts ripening pretty early in the seasonClick image for larger version  Name:	20191009_191139.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.2 KB ID:	629312
              Actively seeking any and all varieties
              #Sharing is caring
              Courtenay, BC 🇨🇦 zone 8a

Comment

If your Green Ischia does not look and taste like SV then it is not true to name
                Ed
                SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Thorntorn
                  Thorntorn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ed,

It is super sweet, I'll give it that, but it tastes like a sugar cube wrapped in a lettuce leaf. Now finishing its third year fruiting, it has been completely consistent in its flavorlessness. It also is caramel colored inside, not red. So, it is not Green Ischia! Thanks for the heads up, Ed. In a way, that's good. I will get rid of this imposter, ASAP. Good riddance to it.

Thorntorn

Click image for larger version

Name:	7C05317A-3480-4DAC-9CE6-24250BD77139.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	629350Click image for larger version

Name:	B5148BF2-10F6-479F-A5C4-B4C915D1FF3F.jpeg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	629348Click image for larger version

Name:	534EE2D8-58AE-4EA0-8040-F71DDB75BC97.jpeg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	629349 I planted my lake spur In ground. Micro climate on a south facing brick wall. I will protect it. This year the second year tree produced 8 really excellent Adriatic green figs. My other super successful green fig was my Stella. Also second year produced 11 really outstanding green figs albeit with sugar spots. I also might suggest smith although mine had slight purple ribbing. That one is really terrific as far from sweet iceberg lettuce as you can get and I have 5 copies. Click image for larger version

Name:	283E2ACD-4FAC-4EEF-B85E-EBF7579EADAB.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	629345Click image for larger version

Name:	2BE78626-1D4A-4984-ABB7-9CA13554273A.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	629346Click image for larger version

Name:	271CEE26-3548-44DD-A175-7E475CC2CFC2.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	629347 The other green one was doctor Clarke. Although it isn’t far from sweet iceberg lettuce so I am not sure I can recommend it. I can give you some cuttings from any of them when I prune in a month or so.
                Soccer playing, whiskey drinking, cigar smoking, dark fig eating woman
                married to my best friend, the same uber tolerant man, for 29 years
                Zone 7a

Comment

Working...
                X