X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will softened water kill fig?

I have water softener in my home.... I use to fill humidifier in GH and just notice white residue on back of fan. I look closer and some Fig have same on trunk. I will change to bottle water until I am for sure. Any idea ?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

We have horrible hard water down in Florida. I don't have a softener (yet), but I have friends that do and their plants definitely do not like that water. Most softeners use salt to soften, so that can't be good for plants.

Don't you have nice water up there? I thought hard water was relegated to the south?

Comment

Typically homes are piped soft water only to the hot side of your faucet. So if you filled with cold water you should be fine.
      Iowa Z5

Comment

My water is okay. No city water or well. I put softener at water Main so both hot cold both go threw salt... I change and buy 5 gal buck it waters until I capise.

Comment

I can't help you with that. Just very glad to be in the country and on a well with great tasting water.
          Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Water softener water is not good at all for the plants.
            Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Mike, have you any information on using potassium chloride in your water softener instead of sodium chloride? It might be worth researching.
              Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• Taverna78
                Taverna78 commented
                Editing a comment
                Tis is pellets? I use salt pellets now

I will look tis up. Grazie

Comment

Good info!
                Ryan aka churl82 on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/churl82
                "wherever you stand be the soul of that place" ~ Rumi

Comment

Most likely it's replacing the calcium with sodium, too much of which isn't good for plants. If you want you can put in a Reverse osmosis system (there are some decent triple filter ones on Amazon that go under the sink), as far as I know that's one of the limited methods of actually removing the hardness from your water, instead of just replacing it with another ion. I have the same horrible hard water as the Florida guy as I'm 60 miles off the mainland on the same limestone.

Comment

Sì... I was to think tis too. I find 5 stage RO unit on craglist by my home. I can instal in laundry room and saddle valve it to water main and just run ice maker hosing thru wall into garage and right into green house with shutoff valve

Comment

Gotta keep using that softened water in the shower to maintain that radiant skin glow and hair shine

Comment

Coming from areas where you don't have softened water, I can't stand taking a shower in softened water. It feels like the soap and shampoo never rinse off.
                        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I agree with Calvin, can't stand softened water.

Of course we do have the best water in the country and most of the world. 😉
                          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Mike, send me the info and some pics of the 5 stage RO/DI. I can help you figure out if you need replace any of the filters or membranes.
                            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• COGardener
                              COGardener commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Brand new you will be good. Just keep in mind that the filets do need to be changed from time to time. The time frame is impossible to know, it is different for everyone depending on your water quality and how much you run through it.

• Taverna78
                              Taverna78 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I wonder if will make even better to have inline uv sterilizer after RO is finish with it?

• COGardener
                              COGardener commented
                              Editing a comment
                              There should be nothing in your municipal water requiring you to use UV sterilization. UV sterilization is used to kill off biological entities which the municipality is already taken care of through their sterilization process. It is why they chlorinate water.

Oh trust me. I no want soft water but I rather have it then smell like rotten egg salad. The worst part is Chicago has perfect water. Very clean. I am one neighborhood over to have Chicago city water.

Comment

I no mean sound complete clueless but don't some people use Epsom salt on the tree and garden? Tis is different ingredient salt?

Comment

There are many different types of salt, not all salts are sodium based. Epsom salt is basically magnesium which is requirement just as calcium is.

Comment

Well I think I find out why my trees have not been doing too well since I moved into this home. My last home had city water and everything was great no problems at all now moved here and poof No perfect leaf. Terrible rooting success and no too good fruit... Would tis also effect rooting if smag moss soaked in tis water?

See tis

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plan...and-plants.htm

Comment

How about melted fresh snow fall threw micron filter pad ? Is same as rain water?

Comment

I can see no reason why not. Just collect away from the street so you don't get road melt in it.

Comment

No no only I will collect when is falling... Soon hit ground out here I wouldn't wash my car with that melted stuff. Unless fresh fallen and caught kosher it can stay on ground. I bet has more salt in it when hits ground then my faucet ! Ahahahaha!

Comment

If your water softener is plumbed into your system the way mine is, there is probably a hose spigot (or some other valve and drain) in the line before the water softener. If it isn't too much hassle for you, you could take unsoftened water from there to use on your plants/cuttings.
                                          Some houses with water softeners only soften the water going to inside sinks/showers/toilets. The pipes that service the external hose spigots are often not run through the softener. So, if you use "hose water" you may be using unsoftened water.
                                          But, just to play devil's advocate, what makes you think the white residue from your humidifier is causing your figs any harm?
                                          (Note -- If you or others spend hours and hours per day in the greenhouse, then there is more of a health concern for you breathing all those mineral particulates into your lungs.)
                                          Cheers,
                                          Jim
                                          Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

My trees never looked sick
                                            , struggling or ever needed so much attention before I started watering them
                                            By my new home. I could leave the hose run on them for an hiur and be fine or I could not water them for a month and they'd be fine. Always perfect green leafs. No spots. No bugs no brown or yellowing no fig rust and perfect fruit. Since move here I've been deal with all the above issues.
                                            All the trees I root and pot up last spring I bring to the farm and in ground (in pots) and farm hose is spring water. They look fantastic ! But looked like I mention above before they went there. So obviously the water here they no like

Comment

Working...
                                            X