X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yellow or gold skin with dark red pulp

There seems to be an endless number of figs with striking green skin and striking red pulp. I assume that a large part of the beauty of these figs comes from the skin to pulp color contrast. Does anyone grow any figs that have consistently bright yellow skin with dark red pulp?

I'm asking about non-caprified figs, since the wasp seems to darken pulp in ways that non-wasp growers cannot achieve. Some figs with enough sun exposure can sometimes lighten skin from green to yellow with a red pulp, like White Triana. However are there any figs that are consistently yellow-red without caprification? The many figs with consistent yellow or gold skin tend to have the amber or even gold center.

One partial exception is Brooklyn White, which as I've grown it has yellow skin with light red pulp, but it is light red not dark red or deep red and can be mixed with a translucent gel, a very good flavor and nice look but not the dark red pulp of the many green-red figs.

Curiously, the Brooklyn White brebas tend to appear light green to me, rather than yellow, and if anything have a slightly darker red pulp; whereas, the yellow main crop (sometimes green tinged) tends to have a slightly lighter red or red translucent shade. (Brooklyn White has a sweet full flavor breba though the main crop is sweeter yet.)

Bunch of green-red figs and Brooklyn White photos attached. Looking for the most brilliant yellow-red, non-caprified cultivar. And hopefully an early ripener.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 19 photos.
    Last edited by COGardener; 01-16-2016, 03:26 PM.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Here's a yellow skin with a red interior offered by Bass on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fig-tree-cut...p2056016.l4276
    Wish List -

Comment

Sefrawi, a Syrian variety. Looks good. I wonder if it ripens early.
      Tony WV 6b

Comment

You could write to him and ask him here's his website http://www.treesofjoy.com
        Wish List -

Comment

I have this one that is yellow on the outside and kinda red on the inside.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
          Quy
          SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

• don_sanders
            don_sanders commented
            Editing a comment
            What variety is that?

• mountainfigs
            mountainfigs commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks good, but was it caprified?

• Rafaelissimmo
            Rafaelissimmo commented
            Editing a comment
            No wasps in AZ

This is a fig i found next to a flood control basin in Southern California. It was definitely planted by animal droppings....probably birds.....i call it my California Hybrid fig( it doesn't have a name yet). I took cuttings and grew them in Arizona....hoping that it didnt need the wasp....and it fruited this summer and those were pictures i took of it.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
          Quy
          SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

• mountainfigs
            mountainfigs commented
            Editing a comment
            So it's a new variety. How does it taste, and how early does it ripen compared to other known varieties? Is it a yellowish fig that sometimes has reddish stripes? The first fig in the original photo appears to look something like that.

• Q*
            Q* commented
            Editing a comment
            The figs ripen yellow with a reddish/purple blush on the outside. It was a cutting that was started in Dec. or Jan.... so its about a year old ...i got 5 figs from it this past summer. Its a very sweet fig, honestly its hard to describe.....it has a slight melon flavor to it.... I've only tasted about a dozen varieties and it doesn't quite taste like the others. I'm pretty new to figs, been growing for about a year and a half so its hard for me to describe it. It ripened about the same time as my JH Adriatic if that makes sense.

Not my picture although i do have this variety but it didn't fruit last year.
          Nefiach (Baud)
          One of the prettiest yellowish figs with red interior.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Néfiach-P2-copie.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	63411
          Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
          Zone 8B

Comment

i find these to look nice, they taste as good as they look ;-)
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
            andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

• andreas-patras
              andreas-patras commented
              Editing a comment
              Chris, sorry bud, its all i could find in such short notice. Give me a chance to do better next time ;-)

m5allen, some great cuttings have been sent to my family in florida. :-)

• Bren55
              Bren55 commented
              Editing a comment
              What a mouth watering picture this is , yum yum!!!! What is the name of that fig Andres-patras

• andreas-patras
              andreas-patras commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks Bren 55
              they are kitrinosyka karyas

And here's an unk I found here in Ga. Large fig ,very productive very good flavor.med August here in 7b- 8a.
            All three leaves are from the same tree so best of luck trying to figure out the variety.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Q*
              Q* commented
              Editing a comment
              Kinda looks like a Lyndhurst White but with a darker center......but what ever it is...that looks like a big delicious fig....nice find Chrisk!

• Chrisk
              Chrisk commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Q. It's a large tree growing side by side with a Brunswick and a bunch of Celestes at an old orchard.

Looks like white genoa
            Attached Files

Comment

• Chrisk
              Chrisk commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, the leaf is a perfect match and the fig pretty close, thanks Brian

Mine are caprified so interior is darker.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is a picture of my reverse? Panache I was trying to identify. My fig is the one in the middle with a Panache below and a White Genoa above.

When fully ripe it is even yellower than in the photo. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the interior, but the flesh is red. Not dark purple red like my Violet de Bordeaux but definitely darker than amber. I really like the taste of this one. Probably the favorite of my three fruiting trees. It is bright and fresh and berry tasting. Not jammy tasting like the VdB. I am really happy with it. I just bought another Panache so I can compare the taste in a year or two to see if it is really a reverse Panache. If not then I guess I will have to just keep eating the figs and go Mmmmmm.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Update on this topic of yellow skin figs with red pulp: after sorting through photos of skin and pulp from this summer, it seems I've fruited only one variety of fig with more or less consistently yellow skin and red pulp - Brooklyn White - not the deepest red and not the brightest yellow but often solid red and solid yellow.

Pictured at link, 11 yellow/gold skin varieties - 10 with gold pulp and 1 with red - plus 15 dark or light green skin varieties mainly with red pulp, though some with mixed golden-red or golden: https://mountainfigs.net/2017/01/23/...ght-skin-figs/ Brooklyn White skin is second from the top on the right in the link above.

3 photos of Brooklyn White below, plus 4 photos of Brooklyn White and Lemon/Blanche for comparison of the typically gold/red variety to a gold/gold variety. Brooklyn White has a honey-berry flavor, while Lemon/Blanche has a honey flavor.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.
                Last edited by mountainfigs; 01-26-2017, 12:40 PM. Reason: typo
                Tony WV 6b

Comment

• ross
                  ross commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looking forward to mine that I got from you fruiting next year, Tony.

I have one I call "Unk Major Houlihan" in my personel records only and not naming it. It was a lost label on rooting and had a list of potential suspects but have not determined which it may be yet. I has been sugessted Chico strawberry/saratoga, but I have never even tried to root that knowingly I posted on it on below topic.

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...lp-me-remember
                Last edited by strudeldog; 01-26-2017, 11:32 AM.
                Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• ross
                  ross commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol, Phil. Great name for a piece of fruit.

• strudeldog
                  strudeldog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ross, You are to young to know Hotlips, so you must be watching late night TV

My Sicilian whites are yellowish with nice red pulp.
                May the Figs be with you!
                ​​​​​

Comment

The small fig, Red Eye Unknown, was on eBay a while back and the picture showed a yellow fig with a dark red interior.
                  Panache is striped green and yellow and has a dark red interior. http://files.websitetoolbox.com/30989/1979642
                  Mara, Southern California,
                  Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

There is a Yellow UNK that Richie Boni "FigPig_66" found and called "Nola Pink Eyed Lady" that had a nice pink eye as well.... very pretty fig... I have a few cuttings of it that he provided in rooting cups right now....

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....pid=1293434457
                    Tony - Zone 6A
                    WL- Good Health, a 60 lb Striped Bass, a Boone and Crockett Typical Buck, bushels of ripe Black Madeira figs, bushels of ripe Hachiya and other tasty Diospyros Kaki Persimmons

Comment

• strudeldog
                      strudeldog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I looked up that post Tony. Looks nice I see they were calling that Chico Strawberry as well. Personally I hope Ritchie keeps his name as an unknown. It might be Chico but it may not, but that's not my call.

• Fygmalion
                      Fygmalion commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Phil... yes I saw where the name Chico Strawberry was mentioned but I didn't know that was a consensus... I will leave the label on the cuttings in cups as "Nola Pink Eyed Lady UNK" for now...:-) I hate switching boats in mid stream....

Red Eye UkN. Probably caprified though
                    Attached Files

Comment

Andrea you made me have to clean computer screen again just can't seem to get that yummy looking fruit taste thru the glass

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisk View Post
                        And here's an unk I found here in Ga. Large fig ,very productive very good flavor.med August here in 7b- 8a.
                        All three leaves are from the same tree so best of luck trying to figure out the variety.
                        Looks like Sister Madeline's Unk Yellow (Italian?) She called it her Italian fig once but the next time she said her parents grew it when she was a child and didn't know where it came from but her mother was Italian, so I'm not sure. The early main crop are nearly big as tennis balls on her tree but get smaller as the season ends. It's the best tasting yellow fig I've tried.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• don_sanders
                          don_sanders commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hmm. Even better than her Green Greek?

• Charlie
                          Charlie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Green Greek stays green so it doesn't count in this topic lol. Both are delicious but I have to say I like GG more.

• don_sanders
                          don_sanders commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ah, true. True.

Charlie it looks to be White Genoa. It is extremely common and very distinct serrated edges on leaf

Comment

• Charlie
                          Charlie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm happy to know that and will tell Madeline next time I see her. I'm sure she will be too.

Top tasting Col de Dame Blanc UCD is consistently yellowish when ripe. Its red interior is probably one of the deepests you'll ever find on a light colored fig. If you close your eyes, you would never guess that you're eating a yellow fig. That's how intense the berry flavor is.
                        The only issue with this variety is that it is not as hardy as I would like it to be as the tree keeps getting trimmed by the cold each winter season as I leave it unprotected. In addition planting it in clay soil has not helped its growth so far.
                        This is a late variety and is one of the lastest varieties to ripen in late fall here in Texas.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
                        Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

A lot of good information in this thread, ongoing, but notice all the southern locations. Seems more difficult to get the yellow skin color from most red pulp varieties the farther north one gets. Will be interesting to see how much Brooklyn White can be yellow and be challenged, and how far north, in side by side comparisons.
                          Tony WV 6b

Comment

Working...
                          X