X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love Flanders

It's got everything you could ask for. Fast growing, healthy, very productive, large figs 70-100grams, it even has a tightly closed eye sealed with a drop of Honey. It's been 9 months since I took the cutting, 2 main crops have ripened, with over 100 figs total off a single potted tree so far. It's in a 20gal pot, soil is 1/1/1 promix hp, coco coir and perlite. I did not fertilize it yet, I wanted to wait till rainy season was over.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by COGardener; 01-16-2016, 01:37 PM.

Sid, I think you just single handedly tripled the cost of Flanders in one post.

Sound great, thank you for posting.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Sid, very nice fig tree! Yes, I heard Flanders was very good. My mouth waters when I look at your pictures of the fig with honey drop!

Comment

Sid, how was the taste? Thank you for sharing this.

Comment

Taste is like slightly moistened cardboard... There, the price just dropped back down.

No. Sweet jelly textured, refreshingly light, not overly sweet, but does require a long time on the tree before it is really good. Even after the color is brown and the drop of honey is hanging, I like to wait 3-4 days longer for full flavor to really come out. I think it took about 20 tries to get the timing just right.

Comment

• COGardener
            COGardener commented
            Editing a comment
            Moistened cardboard is the new thing. Lol

You made me laugh out loud.

I've been meaning to get Flanders after I ruined my last cutting I had. Def good to hear its a good one. Thanks for the review
          Bryan | Zone 7 NC

Wish List: Takoma Violet, Kathleen Black, BM, Preto, CdD Grise and Noir, Ventura, Maltese Falcon and Maltese Beauty.

Comment

Your fig tree lacks leaves. What's going on there? If mine looked like that the figs would surely taste like cardboard.
            Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
            http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

Apparently, from the many posts I keep seeing on the forums. Hawaii is the only state in the U.S, that has no problems keeping fig trees dormant.

Fig trees go dormant here in November, then come out of dormancy mid March thru April. I have been doing experimental light therapy treatment on my figs. I wanted to see if I can wake them up during the winter, so I can get the figs to continue produce, grow and ripen properly all year round.

That photo of the Flanders without leaves, was taken on 11/15/15. I put it In that spot next to the white plastic, to see if the extra reflected light would wake the tree back up, by tricking it into thinking it was summer. It worked on that Flanders.

The attached picture is of my new set of victims.. I mean patients. A dormant hardy Chicago, celeste, magnolia, and Vdb/black mission(uk) fig.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Dormant state ?
                Tim Clymer of Threefold sent me some 3 G trees in dormant state (that was what he told me), no leaves, bare roots . Once they came here, I trimmed almost 90% of their root ball and re-potted in 1 G pot . One week later they all bounced back to life , kept leafing and grow like .... "New York never sleep" hehehe .

Comment

There is one important thing I forgot to mention, the honey drop, attracts... WASPS! Yes! The Devil's mini flying minions!

This may not bother you, if you are a wasp whisperer, who can command them, to do your evil bidding...

But I, on the other hand am a wasp whimp, when I see a wasp, I let out a whimpering whine and take off like a frightened wildebeest fleeing from a pride of lions.

I can't believe I forgot about that.. I need to change the title to

Flanders: Fig of Fear...

Comment

Trying to root my first Flanders cutting.

Comment

Looks good. Good luck. Flanders also holds up very well in the rain. We had 23 days and nights of rain in December and none of the figs split or cracked.

Comment

It looks delicious, thanks for sharing the pictures with us.
                        I wish my Flanders I started with didn't have FMV like it did, it just struggled and had trouble ripening figs. Maybe it just wasn't the right fig for my locale. It would be going on it's 6th year, and should be loaded with figs. I don't think it has put on one fig for the person I gave it to, but they are clueless about growing a fig tree and won't take much of my advice.
                        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Thanks for the update, I find your positive report very heartening. My first real crop of Flanders last year was kind of disappointing given its rave reviews. First year blues, maybe. I've moved it to a sunnier spot so it won't be shaded by other trees at all. Here's looking at August 2016!
                          Sarah
                          Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Any chance you could post a picture of a ripe fruit (outside and eye)?

Comment

Ok. That's the best I can do in the dark with a cellphone camera and a flashlight.

Comment

• ThaiFigs
                                ThaiFigs commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks!

• COGardener
                                COGardener commented
                                Editing a comment
                                It's all your fault Sid.... Now I MUST go out and get one!!!

I'll send you the bill... LOL

Can you tell me if any of the leaves in my picture are a close match in size or shape to the ones on your Flanders?
                              Last edited by ThaiFigs; 01-21-2016, 07:01 AM. Reason: Text didnt post first time.

Comment

The leaf pattern on the left is the dominant leaf pattern with 99% of the leaves, leaf on the right is 1%. The fruit is unique in that it hangs down even when green and unripe. This allows water to run down the stem and fruit without going into the eye of the fig.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've tried to grow Flanders a couple times here with no sucess. Guess I'll have to try again

Comment

Figgysid1: How do you get more fruit and less leaves such as your photo shows? It has to do with how you fertilize?

Comment

The only nutrients that tree got was nitrogen from the rain. I wanted to seen how figs produced without fertilizers in pots. Mostly if fruits get bigger or taste better with certain nutrients, but didn't do that this year. I have 5 Flanders all the same size/age. Next season in the spring I will try to compare different types of fertilizer ratios and see if one stands out as producing the best flavored figs.

Comment

figgysid1, you can totally eliminate the wasp problem by using organza bags. You tie them around the stem of the fig, tightly when the fig is young. I like the 5x7 size but you could get by with a smaller one. I wouldn't be able to get near my fig trees without them. I get mine on ebay. Lighter colors make it harder to see the fig through the bag which may help with birds. But if a bird wants in they can tear the bag easily.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...s+5x7&_sacat=0

Bob C.
                                        Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

• figgysid1
                                          figgysid1 commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Thanks, I have been thinking about ordering some of those. There is a wasp nest somewhere in the forest, anything sweet and 20+ of them swarm the area. I think I got about 30,000 figs this year, not a one got eaten by a bird. There are Hawaiian Hawks here, they pretty much kill or scare away any birds. Do the bags stop fruit flies as well?
                                      Working...
                                      X