X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do anyone have fish tank?

I use have many salt water fish and coral reef tanks. I wonder because of few people that are to raise fish for waste water to help grown fig what about people that may no have a large set up like some of the others but maybe a show tank and using a protein skimmer on it. I rember I would empty out my skimmer every couple day. Maybe I am think tis wrong but fish poo is waste.... Protien skimmer collect waste... Would this be the same type waste?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Do not use skimmet on your plants!!!

It is not just fish waste, it is full of toxins and high in salt.

Water change water from fresh water aquarium would be great.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

There ya go!

Comment

😉

I do miss my reef Mike, once I stop traveling I may set up a small tank. Well.... small to me.... 600 gallons, my last main reef tank was 1500 gallons. 10 feet long, 6 feet wide 4 feet tall.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Culli C! You must win powerball!! I had 13 tanks biggest was 300 smallest 5gal. If you are like me you go all or nothing... Rule thumb in reef tanks... With water live rock sand also coral $1000 per gallon. I also had blues spot jaw fish for every tank and also have a blue ring octopus tank I have one Nautilus pompilius tank but she no last long.

Comment

Owning a store back then made it a lot easier and cheaper. I had it all mike... all.

Comment

I want do acro Nano with sea horse. Maybe sea dragon if I can find nice one

Comment

What about rooting in live sand!?

Crap that's salt too....

I wish they make something like reef tank balance blocks but for garden pots...

Comment

• COGardener
                  COGardener commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There is your winning lotto ticket Mike... Make them and reap the rewards.

Good luck on the sea dragon. They are protected, and last I heard there was only one person in Australia that is allowed to collect one gravid male per year. And I would venture to say that if your check book has less than 6 digits, then you are not in the running.

Acros in a nano can be real difficult, with the violent temp fluctuations, it will be a fun challenge.

Comment

• Taverna78
                  Taverna78 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Like some fico is challenge ahahahaha!! And you help me figure out block for plant we spilt profit!

So,

Back on topic. I always use the water change water from my aquaponics and when I had fresh water aquariums to water the figs and garden and such, the plants love it!

Comment

Ah sì sì I no have any tank now or will never do fresh tank so maybe I can use river water that in river by my home until I figure out what to do with my water beside softener.

Or melt snow??????

Comment

Run a hose to the neighborhood with good water.

Can you tote water from the farm?

Comment

Farm is natural well water. Belle for trees... Here I may just use RO for humidifier and fill jugs water to bring home from farm and use to water. Between humid and temp in greenhouse I think I maybe water little 2 time week. I am try new potting mix I get from member name Butts. Is to replicate Mountain soil that fico original from. Is almost all stone. But small all clay,stone and small soil.

Comment

That is not a bad idea Mike.

Comment

Sea Horses can be tough, just finding adequate, nutrient rich food can be a nightmare. I love my saltwater tanks, but upkeep can be tough. I've kept saltwater for over thirty years now and fresh for fifteen years before that. Since I've gotten older I only keep a 120 and 90 gallon salt tanks now. But fresh fish emulsion could be a good excuse to set up a fresh water tank again

Comment

• COGardener
                            COGardener commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That's why I raised all of my own when I was breeding seahorses. From microalgae is to rotifers to of course brine shrimp mysis shrimp etc.

You try balance blocks? Is amaze although is been while for me. I may be outdate
                          Place by me have live mysis shrimp 😉

Comment

Are you thinking the Sealab 28 blocks Mike?

They are still out they're and reasonable, but yes rather outdated.

Comment

• Taverna78
                              Taverna78 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              They ice cube size white blocks. You drop in tank behind rock wall and the water takes elements as it needs it off the block.

• COGardener
                              COGardener commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That's them.

• Taverna78
                              Taverna78 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              So now we design for plants 😎

I use water from my 75 gallon fresh water tank to water my plants. I can't say I've really noticed a difference but I don't have to worry about waiting for chlorine to dissipate or doing seperate water changes for the tank.
                            Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Tis is good idea don. I am to think maybe try the river water by my home. I have 3 pond front of my home but they're all treated for alge and are very blue color

Comment

Couldn't resist this topic. I had salt water for many years and promised myself that I would again. Sea horses were the best and I used to collect live food for them everyday. That being said after the greenhouse project I am very poor at the moment and not planning to set up anytime in the near future. I am looking a building some under the bench tanks for goldfish. They are known for producing a fair amount of waste and will tolerate a fair amount of temperature swing. I have always planned to do an aquaponics system so this will be me getting my feet wet.
                                NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

• smatthew
                                  smatthew commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I've got a brown turkey in my aquaponic system that put on 9' of growth last year. Unfortunately it grew too fast it couldn't support itself, and now it's kind of in an "S" shape.

I have a 300 gallon freshwater tank
                                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
                                Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

And a 14 gallon bio cube
                                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
                                  Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

I love pulsating Xenia (or clapping) and the jawfish!!!! High iron for Xenia and load up calcium my live rock used to be purple I have it so high ahahsha
                                    Last edited by Taverna78; 01-18-2016, 05:25 AM.

Comment

I have a 80 gallon planted tank with dirt capped with gravel as the substrate.
                                      Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
                                      Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

Working...
                                      X