X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ponte Tresa $2.50/Cutting for Ourfigs Members Only ????

I was speaking with Wills the other day and got the OK to donate a couple of cuttings to the forum. We were thinking of holding a lottery of 100 tickets. Each ticket would be $5.00. The winner gets 2 PT cuttings. If all the tickets are sold, it would make the forum $500.
    I like the fact that everyone will be able to play at $5.00 a shot. We can also promote the lottery on Facebook and the other forums to increase membership.
    Help me with the rules.
    Maximum number of tickets each member can buy?
    Forum members with more than one post?
    Length of time to run the lottery?
    Choosing the winning number by way of the first two numbers of a specific daily state lotto?
    When to start?
    Any other details?

Let's make this a success! Wills deserves our support.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

That's a great idea as fundraiser and I bet it won't last long before tickets are sold. I would think to limit people to 4 tickets each, but then I think Wills would be better to figure how many active members we have that post daily.

Kudos on great idea
    May the Figs be with you!
    ​​​​​

Comment

That is a great idea. Great IDEA. Do it!

Comment

Great idea. How about 2 winners 1 cutting each.......
        Iowa Z5

Comment

• FMD
          FMD commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't have a problem with that. How do others feel about it?

• COGardener
          COGardener commented
          Editing a comment
          Most people have a poor rooting rate, the winner has better odds of successful with two or more cuttings.

• GregMartin
          GregMartin commented
          Editing a comment
          To me it seems like it extends the luck factor out one more level by giving two people that second level of chance...."got a cutting, now will it take for me?" I like it...kind of doubles the odds that a cutting will land in the hands of someone who will properly care for it. If both do then we have double the happiness. I'll always place my vote for double the happiness!

Hi Frank about the rules I AM NOT FOLLOWING THIS About more than one post?? I think their are a lot of members here that just don't post,But If you are trying to limit this so the membership here gets a good chance to win the cuttings then you may want to limit it when they join the Form Thanks

Comment

• FMD
          FMD commented
          Editing a comment
          Everything is still on the table regarding the rules. I was thinking that zero posters might be encouraged to post if adequately induced.

I agree with that. Just make it they have to be a member as of xxxx date? It might also help to get those that read the forum that have never registered to register. Thanks for doing this Frank. Love the members here.
        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• Admin IT
          Admin IT commented
          Editing a comment
          Registered members are registered members. Set the date of registration 1/1/2017 if you must have a date.

NOW THAT WOULD BE FAIR TO EVERYONE INCLUDING NEWEST MEMBERS that were just joining OurFigs from FB or other parts unknown.

Maybe this or some iteration of this:

3 weeks

First week, limit it to 1 entry per person. That person must have registered on the forum by the start of the lotto. This opens up the lottery fever to the most people.
        Second week, open the remaining entries to people that have registered on the forum by the start of the drawing, but limited to 2 additional entries.
        Third week, open remaining slots to any and everyone, first come first serve. Maybe price goes up for these last tickets to $10?
        Last edited by Visceral; 01-15-2016, 09:03 PM.
        Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

• pukzpukz
          pukzpukz commented
          Editing a comment
          I like this idea What do you think Wills and Frank ??

This is an awesome idea. I'm in!

Comment

Sounds great, Frank.

I think the member thing sounds right and limiting the number of tickets they can buy in the early stage is also a good idea that way someone can't just buy the whole lot.

Maybe something like this would work:
          - limit to members by XX date
          - start on a sunday evening
          - friday night florida Play 4 daily lotto for the number. http://www.flalottery.com/play4
          - limit of two tickets per member up until Wednesday night.
          - limit of X additional tickets per member up until Thursday night.
          - any number of tickets on Friday ( i doubt that it would get this far with over 200 active members).

Maybe multiple winners, maybe first prize gets 2 cuttings and 2nd gets 1 cutting?

Just some ideas to think about, looking forward to the lottery for the cuttings. Much better odds than Powerball
          Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• Admin IT
            Admin IT commented
            Editing a comment
            As usual Fitz you are on the money....Great Ideas all!

my 1/2 sense worth.....Great Idea frank..... Ill contribute an easy form to keep track of who purchases which number, for everyone to see. I.e. follow the Lottery.

I believe one cutting would limit winners chances of growing a tree. If you give 2 cuttings chances are double for a newbie like me. I need that extra advantage when growing cuttings!

KISS.... Is always best. Dont get bogged down in the details: Lottery, choose number from 1-100, pay $5 per number limit 2 numbers per user. Start date ? End when 100 numbers are sold. Winner first three numbers of powerball (001 - 100) on the next powerball drawing after the end date. Date will be announced when last number has been picked and picked by who will be evident on that topic.

We already have a limiting factor for non-members in our forum Non members cannot create content (post etc). SO they could not join the lottery if the lottery number buying is done using a topic/post. having folks post their number request on the lottery topic....First come first serve (when making a lottery number choice). We can show the matrix of numbers as they are chosen from the topic, with first come first serve being the rule on who gets certain numbers. This should be easy to accomplish.

Another point if the numbers go quickly we could have a similar lottery next month, featuring another rare fig cutting or cuttings.

****Sry this really looks like $100.00 worth**** From me!
          Wish List: 🙏🏼 Mavra Sika

Comment

I think that your idea is excellent. If a registration cut off date is used, a new member would be eliminated from winning? Don't want hit and run members. More or ongoing lotteries could keep the interest in new members (and current too), maybe not to the extent of the PT, but still, and many members could donate cuttings. Just some thoughts.
            PPP
            Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• Admin IT
              Admin IT commented
              Editing a comment
              What is our goal?

Raise $$$ for the forum? Leave it open!

Get new members? Leave it open!

Make sure one of our "Good ole Boys Win"? Limit it to a specific group!

Frank, I can't think of anyone more fair minded than you. Look at the suggestions then let us know how you'll do it and we'll all back you.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• GregMartin
              GregMartin commented
              Editing a comment
              I back Bob in saying that we'll back you Frank

When do you suppose this goes down?

My 2 cents, you're gonna run out of tickets too fast. I would either raise the price of tickets, or the number of tickets offered.

This is a great way to raise money for the forums. Cheers!

Mike

Comment

I really like this idea as I can't afford those cutting for years. i would throw 20 bucks at it for 4 tickets no problem.
              Anybody have those bass cold hardy cultivars that went up for sale recently? All are going for over 100 bucks or close. So many varieties out there that are rare. A really great idea, I love it!

Comment

Like the idea of a 'raffle' - $5 is reasonable for a 'raffle' ticket. However, I would not limit the number of tickets available. Set a time frame [ex: tickets available for purchase from 12:00 Feb 1 2016 until 10pm Feb 28 with Drawing on 5pm Mar 3, 2016]. The more tickets you sell, the more money goes into the sites coffers. By not restricting the number of tickets and having a specified period to buy tickets, those of us who work odd shifts or those of us who have weird sleep patterns won't feel left out. BTW, is shipping going to be free to the winner?? Perhaps a few other members would like to donate cuttings too and you could have several winners, plus the grand prize winner (who gets the Ponte Tresa cuttings). Now THAT would make for a great membership drive sweepstakes [perhaps for another time].
                Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
                Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Comment

Better odds than powerball!

Perhaps a pledge to not resell the cutting if one wins? Obviously can't make anyone do anything, but but discourage it.
                  https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                  SE PA
                  Zone 6

Comment

I agree with Kelby, I think that would be rude.
                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Awesome idea Frank. Thanks for doing that. Here's my $10! I'll take two, Hershell can pick my #s!

Comment

@ Kelby and Scott.
                        Sorry fellas ,I don't want to disagree with you guys but I do!! Lol.
                        If you win through a just and correct drawing you should be able to do as you please with Your cuttings. Most of us want them for the thrill of having the PT anyway but.....

Comment

• COGardener
                          COGardener commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes indeedy!!

You want improved Celest? I'll send it as soon as get back home.

I'm in Ohio right now.

• Chrisk
                          Chrisk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sure, thanks Scott, at your convenience ,no need to rush. I was thinking of grafting onto my Celeste. Thanks again bud.

• COGardener
                          COGardener commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No worries at all my friend!

Frank here is a link to the raffle I ran, maybe some ideas of what to do what not to do. Hope it helps.

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-home/29319-raffle
                        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• starch
                          starch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That is a really cool approach, I like it! Combined with fitzki's suggestions above, then it would be a really fun and fair raffle!

All great suggestions, people.
                        Thanks for reminding me of your raffle, Scott! There is very little to improve on what you did. Will definitely follow your template.

Some further points:
                        Would anyone mind terribly if the numbers were chosen randomly for you? It would save me administrative time.
                        Ways of maximizing membership recruitment with this raffle?
                        Encourage participants to have a minimum number of posts? 1-10? Or none to save on administrative hassle.
                        It would be nice if the winner held on the the cuttings, but once won they no longer belong to me so they can do as they want with them.
                        100 tickets should be enough?
                        Maximum of 4 tickets per member?
                        Pick the winner 24 hours after the last ticket is sold via the Florida State Lottery?
                        Frank Tallahasee 8B
                        North Florida Figs

Comment

• Chrisk
                          Chrisk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thumbs up here. Thanks Frank

• silveradocanman
                          silveradocanman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          4 tickets into 100, that's going to be 25-30 people, very limiting and not even everyone on the forum will get a chance, let alone new memebers we're trying to attract. Just my opinion

• GregMartin
                          GregMartin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I agree, with a 4 ticket limit on 100 total they won't last at all and anyone coming here to participate will be turned off by no availability.

Great idea, I'm in. I'll take the limit
                        Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
                        Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Keep it simple!

1. Limit number of tickets and number of tickets per member.

2. Set it up with the idea of having it every month. If a member dosen't get a ticket before they sell out they can be sure to get in the game earlier next month. Sometimes the chase is more fun than the catch.

3.Keep the amount coming in each month small so coffers don't build up to fast or too big. We don't want members to think this is just a money grab. If it costs $2400 a year to run the website then $200 a month should be enough to start. As cost rise increase the number of tickets sold or the cost of tickets.

4.$2400 in one pop sounds good but we need to keep folks interested so they don't drift away over the next 11 months.

5. The prize can be cuttings or a plant depending on the season or any fig or fig growing (gardening) related item.
                          Last edited by jmaler; 01-16-2016, 08:59 AM.
                          Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Count me in. This is a good help for Wills, the forum and community building.

Comment

So, when does the official raffle thread start.

I'd like to participate!

Comment

Working...
                              X