X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new pruning weapon

See video at https://www.facebook.com/Figaholics/...78527/?theater (don't need a Facebook account to view, I believe)
    Last edited by COGardener; 01-17-2016, 09:16 AM.
    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Looks like a good way to loose a finger. I have three chainsaws from tiny to huge and your new weapon gives me the willies way more than any of them.

Comment

• HarveyC
      HarveyC commented
      Editing a comment
      I have 4 chainsaws and my favorite (not biggest) is somewhat cheap Chinese Greenworks battery powered. Quiet, always starts easy, cuts pretty good).

These pruners are just slow enough to be pretty safe.

• GregMartin
      GregMartin commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang, I only have 2 chainsaws...I'm behind the curve! I just picked up a battery powered as well and so far for the same reasons as you Harvey I like it quite a lot as well. Only concern I have is how long the battery will last before it won't take a charge well...we'll see.

That's really nice Harvey!
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Real nice for those with arthritis in their hands. I bought my Mom the watered down version a couple years ago. Thanks for sharing Harvey!
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

FYI these were $910 on Amazon. See my 3 star review there for Zenport SCA-3

Comment

• COGardener
          COGardener commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh Dang!!! I believe the set I got my Mom was around $100.00
          Last edited by COGardener; 01-16-2016, 08:38 PM.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Here is a link for whomever wants a pair.

Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Nice pruners Harvey.
            Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Very nice, Harvey. $910, will the cost of your cuttings increase this year? Just kidding.
              Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• HarveyC
                HarveyC commented
                Editing a comment
                Only for you, LOL

• jmaler
                jmaler commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahaha!

• Taverna78
                Taverna78 commented
                Editing a comment
                You ever see how tornado work? Start small. Then bigger and little more impressive and then takes out entire city...🌪

Those bad boys are no joke!
              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Harvey my friend.......with the unique and inventive ways you hurt yourself do you think those clippers are such a good idea?
                Cutting sales will start Tuesday Nov 1 at 9:00 eastern

Comment

• HarveyC
                  HarveyC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've thought of our war stories and have jokes about the possibility of losing fingers, but risk honestly seems low. I'm hoping I don't become complacent, that's for sure.

Check out guy pruning. Bunches of mulberry branches in video section at fpqtools.com - that could be a recipe for disaster.

• GregMartin
                  GregMartin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think as long as you can get into a habit concerning where your other hand is then you won't have to worry. Really great tool Harvey, thanks for sharing.

Note - these can be bought elsewhere for a bit less
                I went with Amazon for speedy shipping and good history of dealing with problems.

Comment

I wonder how this would work

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	64033
                  Wish List -

Comment

• HarveyC
                    HarveyC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had seen those and wondered also, but no time to mess around experimenting. I have thousands of fig cuttings to prune then 5 acres of chestnuts. I'm guessing the PVC cutteer would not make smooth cuts and would require frequent charging.

Perhaps one of these to go with your new pruners Harvey?

Uline stocks over 29,000 shipping boxes, packing materials and mailing supplies. Same day shipping for cardboard shipping boxes, plastic bags, janitorial, retail and shipping supplies.

Comment

Scott, I was thinking he might need these:

Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

• COGardener
                      COGardener commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is awesome Greg, made me laugh out loud!!!

I'm impressed. Those are great!
                    Randall - Flomaton, Al. zone 8. https://www.youtube.com/c/FlomatonFamous

Comment

Maybe this would be better if the Cutters attack.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that these pruners would cut through the armor. Best to have a fumble-free grip and attentive mind. If the risk was high, someone would have already been injured and OSHA would have shut this company down. Don't ruin a good thing!

Comment

• GregMartin
                          GregMartin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Totally agree with you guys. The real solution if you do cut off your fingers is to get a robot hand with pruners integrated in...kind of a swiss army hand.

• DBJohnson
                          DBJohnson commented
                          Editing a comment
                          GregMartin And I just had the words &quot;By your command&quot; roll through my brain. The image of a Cylon Centurion marching through the orchard pruning the trees is both humorous and terrifying,

• HarveyC
                          HarveyC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hershell, Linda helped me yesterday with washing of cuttings and putting away in the walk-in cooler. Today I was busy at CRFG scion exchange (brought home zero cuttings, first time ever!) but we'll be back at it tomorrow.

Sorry Harvey, just having a bit of fun. If someone cuts of a digit, that is just natural selection hard at work.

Comment

• Hershell
                          Hershell commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not funny Scott! Lol

• HarveyC
                          HarveyC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Definitely keep the pruners away from my other tool!

As noted in my review on Amazon, the pruners seemed to have some sort of weird habit of not always responding to a trigger pull, as if they went into a sleep mode. On Saturday afternoon I went out to do more pruning and they suddenly quit working I thought maybe the batter needed to be charged but that didn't help I was chatting online with Amazon.com about an exchange and, while waiting, I was pulling the trigger and they stared to work again. They stopped again during the chat session and then started again. Amazon is sending me a new set which should arrive on Wednesday. I'll be pretty much done with fig pruning by then (except for replenishing some varieties if I sell out of those) but will use the new ones for pruning my chestnut orchard.

Despite the flaw, these have been a huge help as they doubled or tripled the pace of my pruning.

Comment

• Taverna78
                          Taverna78 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No guess # contest WillsC !
                      Working...
                      X