Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	64177

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5553.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	64178

newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

I too used Sundews, made a world of difference. I also have a venus fly trap, and I'm planning to add a couple picture plants shortly.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• cis4elk
      cis4elk commented
      Editing a comment
      How do they do with our dry air? What do you do to keep them happy, is the water pan with some rocks underneath them enough?

I was just looking into this yesterday. Wellspring Gardens has several carnivorous plants available for low prices.

Comment

Wellspring is were I got mine.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I have had eight different varieties and I believe the Sundews do the best job for me. Plus they easily reproduce.
        newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

How easy is to take care of them?
          Any special conditions required?
          USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

So...what if you don't typically have a lot f flying insects around during most of the year? Will this things starve? Will they attract, catch, and eat wasps and hornets?
            Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• COGardener
              COGardener commented
              Editing a comment
              You can put them outside over summer. Or bring insects to them. Or feed them a dilute fertilizer.

. o O ("....Feeed me, Seymour! Feed me all night long!")

Yeah...couldn't resist the Little Shop of Horrors reference.
            Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Very easy to take care of. I have mine sitting on decorative rocks from Home Depot, in a plastic saucer from Home Depot. You can use rain water or distilled water but not regular faucet water. I keep the water where the plants can get what they want from the bottom. The sandy soil mixture should stay wet. In the summer I move them outside in the shade where they can get rain water and insects. You can also give them insects ants etc. I keep them under the same lights as my cuttings. T-5 from HD.

Google raising carnivorous plants. You can order them from the Internet
              newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

How many plants might be recommended to make a dent in fungus gnats? Say for every 1.5' x 4' shelf?

I only have one fly trap so it hasn't really made a difference with fungus gnats but it is gratifying to see them eaten.
                Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Don, on a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood I have three saucers with three 4" plants in each. Additionally, I place several yellow sticky traps out. When watering, I use Gnatrol and water from the bottom only. This three prong attack helps keep the fungus gnats under control by killing the active adults and also the larve.
                  newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• don_sanders
                    don_sanders commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. I'm using gnatrol, sticky traps, sand, and putting up barriers like nylon around the drain holes. It's helped quite a bit but I haven't eliminated them completely yet. Part of that has to do with some pots that I really can't water so can't get the gnatrol in there well. Gnatrol seems to work very well and seems to help the most for me as long I can water well. Much better and more convenient than mosquito dunks. The fly trap was just because it was interesting but maybe I should get some more carnivorous plants.

Along with carnivorous pants, last year I was luck enough to find a just hatched nest of jumping spiders.... I relocated them to the humidity bins and allowed the tiny army to "Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war". Between the plants and spiders, I never saw another gnat.

Comment

• DaveL
                    DaveL commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh man Scott, the spiders would not wash with my better half. I would find my entire collection outside laying on the snow.
                Working...
                X