X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How best to handle this?

OK...so I have a nice cutting that is going gangbusters with foliage but I have yet to see any roots. According to the method I'm generally following, you add holes to the top cup when roots appear to start acclimating to lower humidity. I know from experience last summer that letting these leaves tofu the inside of the top cup will be disastrous, so I'm going on the assumption that I need to get thisplant acclimated to lower humidity as quickly as possible so I can get it out of this cup. Am I right on this? Should I get a larger tub and make a big humidity chamber for it? I'm headed out of town on Tuesday for most of the week...thus my concern. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Putting it in a bigger tub would be great but if you have a friend nearby that knows what to do with plants or could at least send you photos it would be good to leave it with them.
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

When we graft pecan trees the scion is about the size of a fig cutting and some of them grow like crazy in the spring but the graft never takes so it is using the stored energy in the scion and then it wilts and is over. Sorry to say this but it happens.
      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

I would move it very gingerly to an identical but much, much larger set up.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Hopefully it has roots but you just don't see them yet.
          Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

most of the time When I do cuttings I always see the leaves before the roots Be patient they will come and you don't want too much humidity you will get mold I leave my boxes partial open then theres no shock when taking them out of the humidity box to pot them up

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488 2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	64217
            Wish List -

Comment

• Hershell
              Hershell commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok Dave, your making it look too easy!

• Dave
              Dave commented
              Editing a comment
              No look up dumb luck in the Dictionary and you will see my picture

Thanks, guys. I think I'll be removing the top cup and placing it in a larger storage bin. I've slowly added a lot of holes over the past week, so hopefully it's close to being where it needs to be on humidity.
            Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

DB,

Understand that you can't transition out of a high humidity environment until there are roots. If it has leaves but no roots it does not matter how slowly you acclimate it if you remove that humidity te leaves will shrivel. The humidity is keeping those leaves alive. You can;t see it but those leaves have a coating of water on them.....remove the cup and the water layer disappears and the leaves wilt. Have to have that dome until the plant has enough matured roots to take up the water that will sustain those leaves.
              Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• DBJohnson
                DBJohnson commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know. Thanks. Any suggestions about the rot when the leaves/limbs reach the sides?

• Harborseal
                Harborseal commented
                Editing a comment
                Use a bigger hood. Perhaps put the whole thing in a big Sterlite bin. You have to do it *before* the leaves touch the sides. Young plants don't always survive infections once they take hold.

• DBJohnson
                DBJohnson commented
                Editing a comment
                That's on tap for tomorrow. Thanks!
            Working...
            X