X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about young cutting with multiple branches

Hi everybody I've got a few rooted cuttings that are pushing out multiple branches right off the bat.. Just wondering if it would be more ideal to only have one growing (or even 2) if your goal is to grow more of a tree like form as opposed to a more bush-like fig tree? Also could 3 or 4 branches going (cutting placed in cup to root on 12/06) be taxing and cause more slowed growth? Just wondering how to best handle this type of situation? I've just been letting them do their thing so far.. The pic below is a Lynhurst White with multiple branches and even a small fig swelling at the base.. Seems this guy has big plans for the future! Lol
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Cuttings Available 2022:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Future air layers
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

I had the same issue last year with a few cuttings. The advice I took was to keep the tallest/most vertical growth and trim off the other branches. If your goal is to get a single trunk of largest caliper as fast as possible, then the side branches this early in the game slows down the growth of the main trunk.

Lyndhurst White was a pretty strong grower for me when pruned to a single stem it's first season. My trees topped out at 7-8 feet with a 1" caliper from cuttings started in the winter. They didn't set any fruit which would ripen in time, but I expect better things next season starting from the growth I got last season.
      Johnny
      Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

While those extra branches will slow down the main stalk's growth, they will also provide more area for photosynthesis. I would let them grow, then trim them off next winter when the plant is dormant. The roots will have had the benefit of all that extra energy - and will really push the main stalk to grow then.

edit:
        If your plan is a tree-form fig - think about what height you want the branching to occur. I've been heading my figs when they get 3' tall to encourage branching.
        Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

Decisions decisions! Lol! Seems like there is sound advice for both keeping and pruning the extra branches off.. I can see a 4th branch coming up from the soil line as well, so it's really pushing branches out of every node at once it seems.. I've got 2 potted up LW cuttings (thanks to Rui & his awesome cutting sale) going like this, so maybe I will prune the extras off of one & leave at least 2 of the other on to see how they turn out.. Could even try an airlayer also that way as Hershell suggested Might be an interesting learning experience!

Thank you for the tips everyone!

Cuttings Available 2022:

Comment

That plant looks great, if it aint broke don't break it
            Cutting sales at willsfigs.com will continue till about March 1.

Comment

I agree with letting it be. There is no sense in disrupting a very young freshly rooted tree. The transitioning steps are difficult enough without additional interference. Removing the branches with air layers down the road is an ideal way to handle them.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

For what it's worth I am with Wills. It will be fine as is.
                newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

For me, I'm mostly trying to grow mine in a bush form since I'm growing in containers and want to keep them fruiting low and the climate here is to cold for a tree form in ground. Mostly growing 2-3 main branches.

I did try growing some this past year as single stem and also some with as many stems as they wanted. I can't speak for second or future year growth but with the first year, the single stem was the tallest and the thickest as you would imagine. And the ones with tons of shoots were there shortest and thinnest.

As mentioned, I would wait a little longer for that one to be stable and air layer of the extras if you want a single stem or let all three grow if going for bush form.
                  Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste, Rubado, Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

Leave it. Looks like it will be a nice tree
                    Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
                    Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

I would never cut a branch off of such a young fig. It's already put resources in to growing those branches so you should let it get some return on that investment. You never know what's going to happen to the tip of what you think you want so I'd let this grow, add some dilute fertilizer if you have roots and wait until you have to prune.
                      Bob C.
                      Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Looks good, Jamie. I'd let it be for now. You could always air layer one of those branches later.
                        Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

By leaving the branches you will have lots of cuttings to share next year when you prune your tree!
                          Rafael
                          Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Thank you everyone for so much great info and advice.. This community has been such a wonderful help to me as a novice grower and I truly appreciate you all. I really liked the way Wills put it, "If it ain't broke, don't break it!" Lol! I think I will make this my new mantra for growing figs from here on out I was going to cut the extra branches off of one of the two LW's just to compare the two down the road, but I think for now I will just leave those extra branches alone to do their thing. I could always prune them off for cuttings down the road or airlayer them as some of you suggested.
                            Thanks again everyone, I truly appreciate you all!

Cuttings Available 2022:

Comment

Working...
                            X