X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you give away your plants?

So far, I've gifted 5 small plants to people, well rooted and leafy in self-watering pots or 2-liter SIPs. The recipients are all good gardeners, except for my sister who has something of a black thumb. Just curious, if you give away your duplicates or extras, what do you tell the people who get them? I know not everyone will be as forum-crazy as us, so any guidance that I can pass along to the beginners would be great. Thanks!
    Zone 7a in Virginia

I have gifted and traded small trees to forum members and many local friends and family members. For those whom are growers, yet not familiar with figs, I wrote a "guide" to growing figs in my area to the best of my ability for what I have learned thus far. So far none have gone to non growers so I have not had to go into extreme detail. When questions arise, I just answer and help the best that I can, or get the answer here and then help them.

If you are willing to ship, you may find some trades here or people that are happy to pay for the tree and shipping.

Or even gift them via PM's to people you would like to help out.
    Last edited by COGardener; 01-17-2016, 09:16 PM.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I might try putting together a little guide as well. Kind of like the little folded booklet tags that come with orchids.

Sarina, when I gift a fig, I'll attach a plant label to it. One side with the figs name and the back side with the ourfigs.com web site.
    Attached Files
    Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

• DaveL
      DaveL commented
      Editing a comment
      Mike, if I had it,my friend, you would have it.

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Grazie Dave... although I was blessed enough to receive a cutting of tis tree by a very generous member I would rather see members that are having better success rooting tis year have it. I was told that is very difficult to root and is no lie ( for me anyways ) I have one chance left to try to root tis cutting. I lose majority of it but was able you cut off bad parts early enough to still have 2 node 2inch cutting well hydrated and green cambein layer still okay. I put inside complete full bottle water and capped and has been in it for 3 day now. I change little water every day but I think is starting to show root bumps so we will see what happens....

• DaveL
      DaveL commented
      Editing a comment
      Mike, I wish you best of luck with your last cutting. When you have a beautiful PT remember me.

One of the figs that I received came with a status and care sheet that I thought was very helpful and thoughtful. Mostly a form type letter but listed the soil that it was potted in, when it was last watered, what fertilizer and micros were used. It went into details about unpacking, why newspaper was on top, not to water or up pot right away, checking the soil moisture before watering and making sure not to over water, keeping it shade in the beginning, and acclimating it to your watering schedule and full sun over the course of a few weeks.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• don_sanders
      don_sanders commented
      Editing a comment
      It was actually from a forum member. Not sure if he would want it posted or not.

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool idea--I'll try something like this and post it when it looks okay.

• eboone
      eboone commented
      Editing a comment
      Don, could you ask the forum member if he would mind sharing it or if he would mind if you shared it. I did something a like that but little simpler when I gave some fig plants to friends and family, would love to see what others do.

Ok, here it is with approval by nycfig. I found it very helpful.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• eboone
      eboone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Don! Really appreciate this.

It would be great if you could type it into a work doc and post the file. Can't reed the pic. Could come in handy for many people, would be nice to have,
    Last edited by COGardener; 01-19-2016, 08:27 PM.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!
      Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

Working...
      X