X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kure Beach Unk cuttings for sale :) - Limited Quantity

So ever since I saw the name Kure Beach Unknown in a cuttings list it made me want to find the mother tree since I live so close to there. After researching both forums, getting in touch with the original discoverer of the tree, piecing together a "map" of what to look for and cross referencing that with someone else who was given a location on the tree. After locating the tree and waiting to see a car in the driveway I stopped and spoke with the niece of the land owner who was maybe in her 50s. Her aunt who owns the home is the one that planted this tree "forever" ago and she told me it produces really big dark purple figs. She gave me permission to take some cuttings so I have a limited quantity available. After all of the info I found and her description of the figs matching the the photos I have found of the figs I can say with 99.8% confidence that this is the original Kure Beach Unknown tree. The tree has 5 trunks, most of which have been cut off, it has a couple main trunks left producing really gnarly looking growth at times throughout the year but the last couple years growth look typical. The tree definitely has some character and almost a perfect view of the atlantic ocean as its less than a block from the water.

From what ive seen and read this is a decent Unknown to add to your collection. Ive had a few people message me specifically asking for it when they found out where I live. Tree is located in Zone 8a in Kure Beach North Carolina. The niece said her family has always loved how they tasted and I cant wait to grow some trees and fruit of my own

Cuttings will be between 5 and 7 inches long they will all have at minimum 3 nodes but most will have 4+

(3) Cuttings for $10
    $5 flat shipping cost

I have limited quantities so Id like to cap it to a max of 6 cuttings per person if possible so we can get the tree to as many as possible.

PM me with your address and I will give you my paypal information if there are any left.

These photos are photos I found on the forums and have given proper photo credit. I hope its ok to use them, I assume since they were from an archived public place and proper credit is given then there shouldnt really be an issue.

-Lou
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LouNeo; 01-18-2016, 05:21 PM.
    2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Pm go
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• LouNeo
      LouNeo commented
      Editing a comment
      You are fast my friend, second PM to come in

Sounds like a good one Lou and man you did a lot of work to find it.

Congratulations! !!

I just filled my rooting capacity, I'll have to trade someone for a rooted cutting this spring or wait till next year.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• LouNeo
      LouNeo commented
      Editing a comment
      The hunt was fun, I found 10 other trees in the process. But let me tell you the treasure map read like a haiku in the editorial section of a nuthouse newspaper. I was even looking into the housing market for properties that got divided up and recent sales / building since "vacant lot" was part of the description but its not built up. Need anything found? Im sure I can get you some cuttings another time, I appreciate it!

• COGardener
      COGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      Were you in the Goonies Lou? Or maybe the Da Vinci Code? I know Mr. Holmes.... right!!!

I appreciate the offer Lou, Thank you very much.

I would love to buy some if Dave would volunteer to root them for me. Just a thought
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Hershell
      Hershell commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok Lou, you see it yourself so just send me a bill if you get more. It's great to have friends!

• LouNeo
      LouNeo commented
      Editing a comment
      I will get some more cuttings, im going to dip into what I was saving for me to ship out a couple more that ive promised, let me see if i can get enough for another set to ship to Dave for you. If not, give me a week or so and i will get more.

• Hershell
      Hershell commented
      Editing a comment
      Great! just get with me on getting even.

Lou - Never saw this variety, looks great though. Hoping they find great homes
    May the Figs be with you!
    ​​​​​

Comment

From what ive seen, those that got it growing it looked amazing. A few of the people in the past that tried lost them to fungus gnats and some other issues. I cant wait to get them growing
      2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

So tempting... so very tempting.

Comment

• LouNeo
          LouNeo commented
          Editing a comment
          I already have your address so its even easier to just say YES

It really is so easy Lou. The only problem is I have a few pending fig purchases in the works right now, so it all depends in them. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I need a bigger fig budget. I'll let you know if I can swing it.

Comment

• LouNeo
          LouNeo commented
          Editing a comment
          Just let me know and I will find some cuttings for you.

Sounds great. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Im going to temporarily stop taking orders on these. I am going to package up cuttings tomorrow for mailing on Wednesday. I need to see where things are #'s wise since a bunch of people ordered a couple sets. Im sure I will have a few more left so if anyone else wants some of these please PM me and if I have some left tomorrow I will let you know. First come first served on what I have left sets wise. Thanks all!

Comment

Woo! I got everything packaged up and mailed out today, a day early. I went through almost all of the cuttings I had. Theres still 2 people that have no paid, I should be able to make 2 more sets from what I have left if you guys still want them. Otherwise im calling this one Sold Out! Im sure I will get some more cuttings in the not too distant future. Thanks everyone, I will be PM'ing tracking numbers throughout the day.

Comment

Lou, you might want to root a few and use them to trade later in the year.

I'd be down for a trade. ☺
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I save a few for me but the mother plant is also 15 mins from me. I saved some gnarly looking ones for myself that im actually really interested in seeing how they root and grow haha. I will have some for you though.

Comment

• COGardener
                  COGardener commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your awesome!

Hi Lou,

I'm interested to have them. Can send them to my son in Ann Arbor. Please PM me for the purpose of payment. Thank you

Comment

Saifud I am out of cuttings for now. I will try and get some more later this week and offer more for sale for everyone that wants them.

Comment

Thats a great looking fig Lou Looks like a real meal Excellent find!
                    Wish List -

Comment

------

If anyone wasnt able to add this tree to their collection last time, now is your chance. Its a great tree, grows well, really large figs! Ive been lucky enough to establish a relationship with the tree owners and am helping them prune the tree back. I have a few cuttings that were taken the other day while I was down there. Who would like some? PM me please.

Comment

Pm sent
                        Zone 5B: Rotterdam, NY

YouTube

Comment

Your PM box is going to blow up Lou!!! Can't for this one!! Zuny you won't be disappointed, the reports on this fig are fantastic!

Comment

• Zuny
                            Zuny commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Very excited, I looked it up before I sent the request. It looks like a great fig. My husband might divorce me but 1 more won't hurt right. 😆

• LouNeo
                            LouNeo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Show him the photos, tell him he will miss out on the great jams and fig pizzas ... he will stay

Scott, here are a couple more photos Its a great grower and has had really good reviews. The first pic is figs I picked with the owner and the second is a photo by Dan Foster of his Kure Beach unk that he picked from his tree. The mother tree doesnt get full sun, they would be amazing with a little more sun. Huge figs btw.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I really love those big black ones!
                            Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Yeah Lou, those pics are great!!! Can't wait to get a tree and get it going.

You are the man, thank you!!

Comment

Nice looking figs. Can you describe the taste and how you might rate it against the popular varieties grown in your area?
                                Conrad, SoCal zone 10
                                Wish List: More Land

Comment

cjccmc it is a tough question to answer. The mother tree is not in a great spot to get full sun. I would guess it gets less than 4-6 hours a day so the fruit I have had from the mother tree were very large, they had a mild fig flavor, and they were mildly sweet. I rooted a couple cuttings of my own last winter and they just started producing some small fruit this past month but I will likely not taste them this year. Its been my belief that if this fig tree was in full sun it would produce a much sweeter and more flavorful fig. In speaking with Dan Foster about the Kure Beach Unk (the photo above is his photo) he said "It's a good large sweet fig. I used to have a Magnolia. I kept the Kure Beach because I thought it was slightly better." Now his fig is similar in size, it has a small hollow cavity and looks like it has a crunch which all matches the ones I have eaten. However his has a slightly darker color and he says its sweet. My guess is, his is getting enough sun and the mother tree is not. Vacation homes are build up all around it now Things change a lot in 80 years when it was first planted. The owner and her family still love them.

As for growth, I think its a decent grower, the ones I have in 1 gallon pots really should be up potted but im worried about garage space for the over winter. The other figs that grow well here are typically Celeste, Southern Brown Turkey, Peters Honey, and you see some Black Mission around. They are all much much smaller figs, but they are sweeter figs. Again though its not a fair comparison since its not getting the sun it needs. I hope that makes sense and helps.

Comment

• cjccmc
                                    cjccmc commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Thanks for the feedback Lou.

I am very excited to say that the cuttings I received from Lou are already rooting. I started the cuttings on September 17th and I used the 3 cups method . Very excited
                                  Attached Files
                                  Zone 5B: Rotterdam, NY

YouTube

Comment

Working...
                                  X