X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: favorite storm supplies

With snow coming our way, I've got to think about what I want to get/cook for the next few days. To us, snow means relaxing at home, making chili, and indulging in PB&Js and rented movies.

What does everyone else get/make when it calls for snow? I think I may also make some apple chips and oatmeal cookies.
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Where I live snow is just a normal thing, and nothing special come of it unless there is 2' or more in under 12 hours.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

β€œThough the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, here in the DC region people lose their minds. For me, it's a nice reason to not go out much... The road crews aren't that fast in my neighborhood.

• COGardener
      COGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      I have big 1 ton 4X4... If I need out, I go out.

I have yet to be in DC in the winter months, I know what the street are like dry, ice and snow I'm sure is a mess.

When I hear snow, I think "Hot Buttered Rum! "

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting! I've never tried it!

Grilled cheese and tomato & basil soup.

My version of grilled cheese is sharp cheddar, smoked Gouda, and baby Swiss on pumpernickel rye bread with grated parmasean cooked into the bread. Melt butter in the skillet, sprinkle in grated parmasean, put first slice of bread on that and let it soak up the butter. Stack the cheeses and let them slowly begin to melt together. Butter the second slice of cheese and place it on top, butter side up, and sprinkle with more parmasean. Flip sandwich when the cheese starts to drip over the edge of the first piece of bread. Sandwich is ready when cheese begins to melt over edge of second pice of bread (now on the bottom).

Warning--keep the skillet at medium heat. You want the bread to be crispy but not burned when the cheese melts over the edge, signally time to flip.
    Last edited by DBJohnson; 01-19-2016, 10:19 PM. Reason: Typos, of course.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh wow, that sounds amazing! I'm going to add grilled cheese to my list for this weekend! I'm not much of a tomato soup person, but they'd go well with chili too!

• DBJohnson
      DBJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      A variation that I like,too, is to put a layer of crispy bacon in among the cheese slices.

• Admin IT
      Admin IT commented
      Editing a comment
      Your recipe is a great one that I'm going to try. We make grilled cheese often.

We grill the sandwich on a Griswold Waffle Iron, any waffle iron will do.

Makes them quick & very chrispy!

Like Colorado, snow is a regular occurrence here in New England so unless it's over 2 feet, it really doesn't impact us. Just stay off the roads for a few hours while the road crews take care of the snow.

One of my favorites is homemade turkey soup. The way I do it it's a two day process though. Throw a roasted turkey carcass (with onions, celery, carrots) in large pot and simmer for hours. It makes the whole house smell like turkey. Pour the soup/stock through a strainer and refrigerate the liquid. Then take the turkey off the bones, shred/dice it and refrigerate. The next day skim the fat off the cooled stock and then add the shredded turkey, various veggies, rice and recently i've been adding a can of cannellini beans and frozen peas at the end. Season to taste with salt/pepper.

Another favorite is beef stew. Just throw it all (stew meat, potatoes, carrots, onions) in the crock pot and let it cook for hours.

Enjoy the snow, it looks like it's more of a mid-atlantic storm at this time but that could change.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

4 wheel drive and go to workπŸ˜’ Stay some for snow???

I will say I went Nashville last March and was cold and maybe 10000 snow flake only fall and was state of emergency ahahahaha! like someone put smoke bomb in ant hill....
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• SarinaP
        SarinaP commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahaha--like an ant hill! It's like that around here, people leave work early, run to the grocery store. I'm lucky, I work at a medical school so if we close for weather for the students, we get to work from home too.

Last time we have day off work for snow was blizzard here few year ago maybe 3 feet in 18 hour and even then we all drive to work then they tell us go home. I live hour from job. We even had to work in vortex 2 year ago. -50F was so cold we must move semi every 10 min to keep motion in kegs or beer would freeze. And if it freeze the keg turn egg shape and driver responsible to pay for it.
      I just love union jobπŸ™„

Comment

When I first moved into my home 12 years ago, we had three hurricanes back to back and power went out each time for days on end. The one thing EVERYONE craved was hot coffee! after that, those of us with grills and smokers got together and had everyone bring their now thawing meats and we had one hell of a neighborhood bar-b-que every night
        Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
        Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Comment

• Hobo62288
          Hobo62288 commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't know if you ever backpack but us backpackers like hot coffee when we are out and you can either buy a percolator or you can make your own (I do this because its lighter and saving any weight you can is crucial for Backpacking) using those large "Fosters" beer cans, soda cans, and some copper pipe. Also you can make an alcohol stove from just 1 or 2 soda cans that can cook a meal or make coffee. Just a thought lol.

• DBJohnson
          DBJohnson commented
          Editing a comment
          Hot coffee is comfort and life in those situations. Fly fishing during the salmon and steelhead runs when I lived in Michigan, it could be bitterly cold out there on the water. My partner and I usually would hike downstream away from the access sites to get away from the city folk/weekend warriors. We'd take turns fishing...first one would fish while th other built a small campfire and got the coffee going. We'd trade off fishing and tending the fire. While it wouldn't win any gourmet competitions, our banksid coffee was just the thing for those cold days.

To save weight and cleanup, we just used the old coffee pot without the percolator innards. Fill with stream water (who cares if you get a few nymphs or pine needles in there--you're roughing it and in the outdoors), throw in a palmful of coffee grounds, put it on the fire and let boil for the 5-10 minutes. When it's done, move to a he side to keep warm without cooking it. If we had camped the night before, throw in the eggshells to harden the water.

We get little snow today but tis is my snow storm dinner last night.....
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Over a foot forecasted for us. I guess I should see if the generator will start.
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I was lying in bed this morning thinking about the possibility of heavy snow and realized that my snow shovel is nearly kaput. So I picked up a new one at HD this morning. Other than that I need cat litter. Not letting the cats outdoors due to the bitter cold means more scooping...
            Steve
            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
            WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Fertilizer !!!

Roast chicken one of two ways:

1. Smothered in olive oil, then liberally coated with sea salt, pepper, and paprika. Stuffed with any herbs I have on hand. Surrounded by carrots, onion, and tomato. The resulting juices are fantastic.
            2. Smothered in olive oil, then liberally coated with sea salt and pepper. Stuffed with herbs and surrounded by green olives, lemon, and prunes.

Bake a fresh loaf of bread.

Bake some kind of dessert.

And have lots of red wine on hand.

And pray I don't lose power.
            Arne - Northern NJ - Zone 6A

Comment

Tis is great idea....

Originally posted by efletche View Post
              When I first moved into my home 12 years ago, we had three hurricanes back to back and power went out each time for days on end. The one thing EVERYONE craved was hot coffee! after that, those of us with grills and smokers got together and had everyone bring their now thawing meats and we had one hell of a neighborhood bar-b-que every night

Comment

Drunk chicken

Take fryer chicken coat in and outside
                Sprinkle Greek season (yellow red label )
                Squeeze 1 lemon over
                Close neck cavity with skin
                Open can of beer 12oz
                Big sip
                Put table spoon season in beer can

Jam mouth side can in chicken until sits upright on is own
                Set on grill grate at medium/high heat

Baste often

When browned finish cooking in grill but on cookie sheet until done.

You can also cook tis in aluminum pan on grill (longer) and then when almost finish pour beer out in on add carrot and soup veggie for drunk chicken soup
                The mix of the drippings and cooked beer is great stock

Comment

the only problems we have with a lot of snow is the electric going out, after the derecho went through a few years ago we got a whole house generator. That took a load off and I don't have to stay home and feed the wood burners. My wife sometimes will have to stay at work if it gets so bad that a lot of employees can't get there.

I was thinking about going out and getting the stuff to make chili but it is 20 min to the nearest store so I may just do with what I have
                  Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
                  Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

• SarinaP
                    SarinaP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We have a word burning stove in the basement but have never cleaned out the flue in five years, so I'm scared to use it.

• growcrazie
                    growcrazie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    you better clean it out, you never know when you might need it

Well when it snows here........
                  Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

• efletche
                    efletche commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ...hell will have frozen over!!!

• Taverna78
                    Taverna78 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    πŸ‘ŠπŸΌπŸ‘‹πŸ½πŸ‘ŠπŸΌπŸ”«πŸ”«πŸ”«πŸ‘ŠπŸΌπŸ‘‹πŸ½πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€

We had a dusting of snow. There was probably some icing of bridges. Some freeways were closed by police, the rest had so many accidents no one was moving. I had just cooked up a pot of chili that will last for a few days.
                  Bob C.
                  Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

SNOW!?! Skip the milk and eggs, better go buy cows and chickens! We'll never get out of our homes again!
                    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                    SE PA
                    Zone 6

Comment

I'm not a fan of flavored vodka, but I might have to try a bottle of Figenza (fig flavored) if I get snowed in. Has anyone else ever see this?
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I always like getting out and walking around the neighborhood during a snow storms. I can't stay inside for days, I'll go nuts. As far as supplies, just bourbon...
                        Travis
                        Pittsburgh, pa

Comment

Update: got stuff to make chili, grilled cheese, and blondies. I have tons of salad stuff, I'm set! This is our first year without the F150 though... I'm a bit sad about that.
                          Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

No snow here in South west Florida but a little nippy. I like to make chicken and dumplings or chicken and rice and chicken matzo ball soup. Great grilled cheese is havarti or brie, pear, roast turkey cranberry sauce on thick sliced bread like challah Yummy Of course a big dish of mashed potatoes and gravy is sweet Or a super duper big stuffed baked potato Hot cocoa with brandy or coffee with Irish Whiskey and whipped cream on top.

Comment

I need to get stuff to make snow cream, too....
                              Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• GregMartin
                                GregMartin commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Bryant, you just reminded me that when I was a kid my mom used to bake snow cake with us. I'll have to get the recipe. Somehow tasted extra good...wonder if I'd feel the same now.

Zero to six inches: six pack bud lite and pepperoni pizza. Six to twelve inches two six packs bud lite and two pepperoni pizzas. Over twelve inches I stay in bed.
                              Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

It's just snow!!!!! Ahahahaha!!!!

Comment

• GregMartin
                                  GregMartin commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Like rain, only you can throw it!

• Taverna78
                                  Taverna78 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  You can throw rain.... If you put your mind into it😜
                              Working...
                              X