X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large, baseball shaped unk. Greek fig in Wilmington?

While I was googling for more information on the Kure Beach Unk., I came across this article. What could this Unk. Greek fig be? Sounds like a nice honey fig.

"For example, Joan Brunetti has a large Greek green fig tree growing in her Wilmington yard. Both her parents were Greek and, about 40 years ago, a cousin brought her back a cutting of a fig tree from Greece. They planted it in the garden of their first home. Later it was moved across the street to her present home and has been growing there happily for 30 years.
    “The figs are large, almost like a baseball but not completely round, a very light shade of green, and when you tear it open, it’s white with strands of pink in the center,” said Brunetti. “It’s honey, honey sweet to taste.”
    The article has some fig recipes at the end.
    Mara, Southern California,
    Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Ive talked to Al Height before (the guy that runs the local Coop) I can ask him if he knows anything about it. They talk about it being a Greek fig, I do know a family here growing some amazing Peters Honey figs that are very large and taste like honey but im not sure what else most are growing here. The biggest varieties are celeste and brown turkey. The local nurseries ONLY sell brown turkey and that frustrated me which is why I am not growing my own cuttings. I will find the brown turkey they mention in the article, the streets not very far from me. Im sure I can also locate the Greek one they are talking about as well. Maybe that will be my next hunt
    2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

I will have cuttings in March. Spoke to the owner today he grew up in the house across the street where the original tree was said to be planted. Great guy, seems knowledgeable about figs and said I could grab some cuttings in March.
      2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

Way to go Mr. Holms!!! Man, I'm trying to think of something I need found!!!
        Last edited by COGardener; 01-20-2016, 05:01 PM.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

haha I found the other tree mentioned in the article but it was a Brown Turkey so I dont really have any interest in it. While driving between the 2 places i did find 6 other fig trees to add to my local map. Need to take a look at these all later in the season to see if anything is worth grabbing.

Comment

That's wonderful that you were able to talk to a connection and arrange for cuttings, even if it's in March. Will your trees still be dormant then? Our trees here in SoCal will probably be leafing out.
            I have a Pete's Honey tree. The fruit is sweet although not quite as sweet as honey, but is around average size.
            The nurseries here mostly sell Black Mission. With a world of cuttings out there, many more choices are possible.
            Mara, Southern California,
            Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

We are in 8a here and at least 3 people ive talked to about cuttings have said late February / early March is when the would take cuttings for me. I am going to go with it for now and will call him late Feb. Its supposed to be cold cold for a month. This years weather is so weird a lot of plants are already budding out. Theres someone local that has 2 great Peters Honey Trees and a friend of my gf's has 3 Black Mission trees. I have about 30 Black Mission cuttings that have rooted and are growing right now

Comment

Working...
              X