X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bourjasotte Grise

Need more info about this cultivar please. Photos will be awesome too!
    Thanks!!!!

Have you looked in the Variety List? Or tried the search function?

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/variety...-dfic-pi-18847
    Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I think conduit undersells it. When I tasted it I'd say the quality was better than just "fair to good"

Per Condit
        This fig has long been highly regarded for culture in England, especially for forcing in pots. It was one of the best in the collection at Chiswick, from which it was imported into California as No. 18847. Trees are now rare in this state as the fruit drops badly while small. Apparantly it does best in cool climates. The breba crop is small or missing. Figs medium, oblate-turbinate with short, thick neck and short stalk; eye medium, open; color greenish violet; bloom prominent; pulp dark strawberry, hollow at the center; quality fair to good.

Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

The English gourmet writer, Edward A. Bunyard, wrote in his classic The Anatomy of Dessert:
          "Bourjassotte Gris with it’s brown-red almost jelly-like flesh is in the very foremost rank of figdom, and among the somber regiment of purple or black varieties, Negro Largo, Negronne, Violette de Bordeaux, will all meet the epicure’s approval."
          The first year fruit from my B.G. were large, excellent tasting berry flavored figs with good sweetness. Condit rated B. G. as "mediocre in part due to its tendency to drop fruit during adverse conditions." Some people on the fig boards reported a similar problem. One person preferred I-258 to it for this reason: similar fruit but I-258 doesn't drop its fruit. My first year I-258's fruit weren't quite as good by just the smallest difference as my first year B.J., but both were similar and delicious.
          The Fruit Expert (a British book) says of B.G.:" This one is strictly for growing in the greenhouse -it is too tender fo outdoors. The fruits are rounder than the other varieties listed here and the flavor is better -probably the richest and sweetest fig you can grow. Good for pot cultivation."
          Last edited by Altadena Mara; 01-20-2016, 08:59 AM.
          Mara, Southern California,
          Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

So give it some afternoon shade and keep it moist
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Yea I thought this fig was supposed to better than "fair to good"

Comment

It's one of my favorites and I've never observed a problem with dropping. It is very productive and fruits are great.
                My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Working...
                X