X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Lime required to plant fig tree in ground ?

Hi Member, I was told by one of the local fig tree nursery that I should put some lime on top or mix with dirts when planting fig tree in ground or in container. Have anyone tried this before ?

From what I understand it depends on your soil. Figs like an alkaline soil and that is what the Lime does, it raise the pH. I have naturally alkaline soil at my house so I really never looked into it any more. No stores here even carry it.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• pacifica
      pacifica commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Scott, noted with many thanks.

No worries. I think Pete has done a write up on before, a search might yield some results or hopefully he will chime in when he sees this.

I know there are plenty of people here that use it.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I put a good handful or 2 and mix into the soil when planting. I use pulverized lime.... its like a powder. it does help with my NC heavy red clay soil.

Comment

Fico grown originally natural stone clay gravel capise? Make natural mix and will grown.
        I have see fico grown wild out of car bridge. No soil. No lime. No anything but cement. Learn to keep alive as cutting or baby tree. Once you pass tis....plant them in whatever you wish. key is to form baby tree.....then you have strong tree.
        Last edited by Taverna78; 01-20-2016, 09:31 PM.
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• COGardener
          COGardener commented
          Editing a comment
          Concrete is very high in lime and therefore very alkaline.

Can someone post photo of tree in regular soil and then tree with lime ect..... I like to see differences.
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post
          Can someone post photo of tree in regular soil and then tree with lime ect..... I like to see differences.
          Well that still won't tell you much. I use a soiless mix that is very acidic. I need to add lime to it for figs. There are different kinds of lime too. Some is fast acting, others are not. Both types are sold for gardening. Using the slow acting is probably safer although it takes 6 months to turn soil basic. Dolomite Lime is slow acting and Hydrated Lime is fast acting and easy to burn plants with if you add too much.

Comment

Working...
          X