X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will fig grower prefer ???

I stopped by one local nursery with a friend of mine in last Sept and found over 10 fig trees there (Desert King & Celeste) about 5 - 6 ft height at $29.99 each. We did not buy because my friend said he would have some cuttings from eBay. He started his cuttings project in Dec by spending over $25.00 for a few cuttings from eBay, then over $25.00 for Pro-Mix HP plus effort, timing and so on. If he is lucky, he might get healthy cuttings this Spring then take at least over18 months to reach 5 ft height with figs to eat. I questioned him why not buy the existing 5 - 6 ft fig tree from the nursery at $29.99 last Sept when we were there. He said he wanted to do something to kill time. If you were him, what would you do ?

I would buy it and take cutting from tis tree and kill time rooting cuttings from a tree I have that is making fruit.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Or buy those trees just to have then buy cuttings for other cultivars to start.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I would have bought the 5' tree and then purchased cuttings of different varieties to root Most local guys just have the more "common" varieties.
        Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

I would buy the tree to have figs to eat and then practice with cuttings.
          Vincent Canada Québec zone5

Comment

A bird in the hand is worth three that are munching on ripening figs. I would have bought the trees if they were cultivars I didn't already have.
            Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Yep, that's a good price for a tree ready to fruit it you don't have the variety yet. Maybe, if you only had room for a tree or two and really had your heart set on rooting them yourself this would be the way to go. But seriously, the idea of one tree is just insane because as any figophile knows 1=3=5=9=14=17=22......= Hershell=Wills
              Last edited by cis4elk; 01-22-2016, 11:08 AM.
              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I would have bought one of the DKs and still worked with cuttings. I'm an instant gratification kind of person, though.
                Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

Maybe those two store varieties didnt appeal to him? Did he get different kinds (more desirable) from eBay?

Comment

• pacifica
                    pacifica commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My friend said he wanted to do something to pass time even he knew to do cuttings would take time and money. I might go back to that nursery in mid April to buy one for him and one for myself.
                Working...
                X